Help in comparing FH Gedcom with Ancestry Gedcom

John Clarke

Hi all

I have got myself into a bit of a mess. I have been using Ancestry for my family tree in conjunction with FH. I use Ancestry as I and my family have done DNA tests, so it has been very useful to discover new relatives. However, my discipline of trying to dual maintain both databases has fallen down and now I have about 500 more records on Ancestery than in my FH project.

I have downloaded the Ancestry gedcom and made a comparison to the FH gedcom, but in reality I just don’t know where to start in trying to construct the missing relatives into the FH tree.

I don't want to press merge - I have made back-ups, because i do want to validate each record to ensure that it is attaching to the right person. Also I know there are some errors in Ancestry due to transcription mistakes, that I have researched and corrected in FH.

What approach would you recommend please?

Apologies for the conundrum. Will spend more time and effort in the future in dual maintaining the two databases.

John Clarke

Mike Tate

The first step is to create a new FH Project from the Ancestry GEDCOM.

That needs to be reviewed and corrected to remove the usual Ancestry UDF and correct known transcription mistakes, etc.

You could also delete Individual records and associated records that are very distant relatives of the 500 new records.

Then you will have to bite the bullet and use File > Merge/Compare File to import the new records to your master Project.

BUT do review EVERY TAB in the Merge dialogue.

The FHUG Knowledge Base has advice on importing from Ancestry and using Merge/Compare File.

Mike Tate

[...]

Victor Markham

If you use 'merge' it doesd not automatically nerge the two as it opens both to give a comparison of the two and allows you to select which are right and discard the other

Victor

On 09/02/2021 9:21 am, John Clarke via groups.io wrote:

[...]

Hi Mike

Thanks. I have already created the Ancestry as a new project.
Regarding the Ancestry UDF comment, can you elaborate a little more please?

Also when I have done this, I have as mentioned 500 odd records to add. How do i establish in which sequence to add relatives? As an example in my Add records i have 37 Suttons to add. If i was to add them, surely if they are not added in the correct sequence, I will have orphaned records? I have tried searching through the FHUG KB on importing from Ancestry and merging but cannot find anything specific.

John C

Mike Tate

In the FHUG KB at https://fhug.org.uk/kb/ scroll down and click ‘Importing’ where you will find ‘Importing to Family Historian’:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/importing-to-family-historian/ that has a section dedicated to Ancestry.

Towards the end of that section, it has advice on ‘Handling Uncategorised Data Fields’ (UDF).

That process is typical of importing from another product because they all use GEDCOM in slightly different ways.

Also, see the advice on ‘Merge/Compare File’ at:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/merge-compare-file/

Merge is more intelligent than you realise and remember a GEDCOM file has more than just Individual records.

The Family records establish the parent, spouse, child relationships if that is what you mean by the correct sequence.

There are also Source records linked via Citations to the Facts. You won’t get orphaned records.

Any records that FH thinks are similar will be automatically synchronised.

However, it is important to check EVERY TAB and review what FH is proposing to Merge.

Ensure you have a Full Project Backup before you start and be prepared to need a practice run or two.

BTW: In the FHUG KB I searched for Import Ancestry and then Merge which both came up with articles above.

Mike Tate