Generating Zip files

Michael Williamson

Many FTP programs prefer files to be uploaded in a Zip archive. Although, obviously, the user can create one, it would be really good if there was an option to create one directly from FH.

colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk

Try File > Backup; the Backup format is a zip file.

Michael Williamson

Maybe I wasn't clear. I was referring to the facility to create a web-site under the Publish tab. It would make life just that bit easier if there was an option to create a ZIP file of the website that could then be uploaded to the server.

colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk

OK -- there's no support for doing that currently. Which FTP programme are you using? -- Filezilla (for example) doesn't require a zip file. Is the requirement actually dictated by your server rather than the PTP programme you're using?

If you want to raise a Wish List item you'll need to do it via the FHUG forum (New Wish List Requests).

Mike Tate

Presumably, at present, you are using the Windows File Explorer right-click command ‘Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder’

If FH created the ZIP file, I wonder how the ‘Do you wish to view it now?’ and the ‘Preview’ button would work as your default browser may not handle the zipped CSS & HTML files, etc.

Mike Tate

On reflection, perhaps the ‘Export…’ button could offer a ZIP option when copying to another location.

Presumably, at present, you are using the Windows File Explorer right-click command ‘Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder’

If FH created the ZIP file, I wonder how the ‘Do you wish to view it now?’ and the ‘Preview’ button would work as your default browser may not handle the zipped CSS & HTML files, etc.

colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk

Mike, I was thinking it would only be possible as a post-website creation step, maybe as an option under Export... in the Websites & Family Tree CD/DVDs dialog.