Gedcom help

Helena Coney

I have just upgraded to v7 after having a years break from FH.  I am trying to import my very large file of over 17000 people back into FH v7 from tree view (the software not online tree).  However the occupations have all vanished in the transfer.  everything else seems to be there - notes, 1939 census but not the occupation.  I then tried going tree view - roots magic to FH but the same thing happened. Can anyone help?  I don't fancy inputting over 1000 occupation's but want to start using FH after paying for the upgrade

Mike Tate

Helena,

FH is pretty good at importing whatever is in the GEDCOM file.

Since the Occupations were also missing via RootsMagic then my guess is that TreeView is not exporting some (or all) of them.

I presume you chose to ‘Include private facts’ in the TreeView Export GEDCOM dialogue.

Are there any clues in the FH Windows > Log Files > Exception Report?

Are there any Unrecognised Data Fields (UDF) from Tools > Uncategorised Data.

Do you know how to review a GEDCOM file?

Open it in a plain text editor such as Windows Notepad or WordPad.

Search for 1 OCCU which is the Occupation tag. Do you find any?

Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Helena Coney via groups.io
Sent: 03 March 2021 14:40
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Gedcom help

I have just upgraded to v7 after having a years break from FH.  I am trying to import my very large file of over 17000 people back into FH v7 from tree view (the software not online tree).  However the occupations have all vanished in the transfer.  everything else seems to be there - notes, 1939 census but not the occupation.  I then tried going tree view - roots magic to FH but the same thing happened. Can anyone help?  I don't fancy inputting over 1000 occupation's but want to start using FH after paying for the upgrade

Helena Coney

Hello Mike

When exporting from Tree View, there is not much to chose from compared to other programmes as per the box below

The only errors were missing links for photos which were not in Tree view.

I have just reviewed the Gedcom file in Wordpad and 1 OCCU is empty yet as you can see, there are clearly occupations entered

I even thought of transferring via Ancestry but again the same thing happens

Helena

My Bladon family history web site
https://bladonfamilyhistory.wordpress.com

Sent: 03 March 2021 18:27
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Gedcom help

Helena,

FH is pretty good at importing whatever is in the GEDCOM file.

Since the Occupations were also missing via RootsMagic then my guess is that TreeView is not exporting some (or all) of them.

I presume you chose to ‘Include private facts’ in the TreeView Export GEDCOM dialogue.

Are there any Unrecognised Data Fields (UDF) from Tools > Uncategorised Data.

Do you know how to review a GEDCOM file?

Open it in a plain text editor such as Windows Notepad or WordPad.

Search for 1 OCCU which is the Occupation tag. Do you find any?

Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Helena Coney via groups.io
Sent: 03 March 2021 14:40
Subject: [family-historian] Gedcom help

Mike Tate

Hi Helena,

That confirms what I thought, that TreeView is not exporting standard OCCUpation facts in the GEDCOM.

So you could try reporting that problem to their support team.

Use WordPad to inspect the GEDCOM again and find the entry for 1 NAME Thomas /Bladon/

After that, there should be entries for 1 SEX M, 1 BIRT, 1 BAPM, and 1 DEAT with 2 DATE and 2 PLAC fields.

Is there anything else near there that could represent his Occupation fact?

After importing the GEDCOM into an FH Project…

Are there any Unrecognised Data Fields (UDF) listed by the Tools > Uncategorised Data command?

Mike Tate

Helena Coney

Hi Mike

I did Email S&N yesterday so still waiting their reply.  I have checked the reports and nothing is shown. This is the Gedcom for Thomas Bladon

2 FORM LINEAGE-LINKED

1 CHAR ANSI

0 @I1@ INDI

1 NAME Thomas /Bladon/

2 GIVN Thomas

2 SURN Bladon

1 SEX M

1 BIRT

2 DATE 1577

2 PLAC Findern, Derbyshire

1 BAPM

2 DATE 29 Apr 1577

2 PLAC Findern, Derbyshire

1 DEAT

2 DATE ABT 1655

2 PLAC Potter Somersal, Derbyshire

1 OCCU

2 DATE

2 PLAC

1 NOTE @N1@

1 FAMS @F1@

1 FAMC @F2@

2 PEDI birth

0 @I2@ INDI

This is where it gets complicated!  I do have a back up of the 30 odd Bladon trees I wish to transfer from tree View to FH which are in Roots magic dated 27 Dec 2020.  However since then I have made some changes to each of them (in tree View) as  I started my Bladon one name study and made a lot of updates.

I did transfer the up to date file from TV to FH then merged it in FH with the Roots magic Gedcom file hoping the occupation field would remain.  I had a sort of success.  The occupation was listed in the facts tab in the property box (along with another Occupation fact remaining blank), however the occupation entry remains blank under the main tab in the property box which I then have to manually enter.

Any other suggestions?  Is there a plug in I can use?  The best way seems to be via the slightly out of date roots magic file and merging

Helena

The bladon family history study

Registered with the Guild of One-Name Studies

Sent: 04 March 2021 10:42

Hi Helena,

That confirms what I thought, that TreeView is not exporting standard OCCUpation facts in the GEDCOM.

So you could try reporting that problem to their support team.

Use WordPad to inspect the GEDCOM again and find the entry for 1 NAME Thomas /Bladon/

After that, there should be entries for 1 SEX M, 1 BIRT, 1 BAPM, and 1 DEAT with 2 DATE and 2 PLAC fields.

Is there anything else near there that could represent his Occupation fact?

After importing the GEDCOM into an FH Project…

Are there any Unrecognised Data Fields (UDF) listed by the Tools > Uncategorised Data command?

Mike Tate

Mike Tate

Hi Helena,

There is a little confusion between the Occupation Fact and the Occupation Details but I understand now what you mean by empty.

TreeView is exporting the 1 OCCUpation fact but leaving out the ‘Details’ that should be on the same line. i.e. It is empty.

e.g. It should be like:

1 OCCU Doctor

Are there any other facts like that with ‘Details’ that are being omitted from the GEDCOM and need reporting to S&N?

Does it make any difference if such facts also have a value for Date, Place, Notes, etc?

FYI: In FH the Occupation shown on the Main tab is derived from the 1st Occupation fact listed on the Facts tab.

They are both the same entity. Most information on the Main tab is just a filtered view of details shown elsewhere.

I’m getting a bit confused about what data you have in TreeView, RootsMagic and FH.

Are you saying that RootsMagic does have the Occupation facts with their ‘Details’ included?

Does the merged RM & TV data in the FH Facts tab have both RM Occupations with ‘Details’ and similar TV Occupations but without ‘Details’?

If so, then it would be easy to delete all the TV Occupation facts without ‘Details’ in FH.

e.g. You could manually delete the empty Occupation for Thomas Bladon and then the RM Occupation Details will appear on the Main tab.

Does that sound like a solution? If so, then I can explain how to bulk delete all those empty Occupation facts.

The only caveat is that any Occupation ‘Details’ added in TV since December will get deleted and need adding manually.

The alternative is to wait and see if S&N can fix the GEDCOM export fault.

Mike

Helena Coney

Hello Mike

I have spent the last two days inputting the occupations manually in the new FH files but still have the main file of over 17000 names to do!  I am still waiting a reply from S&N.  The only other missing information is relating to the census – the date and address are there but not the age or description/occupation – this is in FH.

I received Tree View for Christmas and transferred all my files from Roots magic, hence me still having a back up of the Roots magic files.  However I have made various updates since then (no record kept) so would prefer to use the TV Gedcom and merge it in either FH with the RM Gedcom or in RM and then transfer to FH!

Which is the best way to merge in FH?  The TV into the RM or RM into TV?

Helena

Sent: 05 March 2021 10:50

Hi Helena,

There is a little confusion between the Occupation Fact and the Occupation Details but I understand now what you mean by empty.

TreeView is exporting the 1 OCCUpation fact but leaving out the ‘Details’ that should be on the same line. i.e. It is empty.

e.g. It should be like:

1 OCCU Doctor

Are there any other facts like that with ‘Details’ that are being omitted from the GEDCOM and need reporting to S&N?

Does it make any difference if such facts also have a value for Date, Place, Notes, etc?

FYI: In FH the Occupation shown on the Main tab is derived from the 1st Occupation fact listed on the Facts tab.

They are both the same entity. Most information on the Main tab is just a filtered view of details shown elsewhere.

I’m getting a bit confused about what data you have in TreeView, RootsMagic and FH.

Are you saying that RootsMagic does have the Occupation facts with their ‘Details’ included?

Does the merged RM & TV data in the FH Facts tab have both RM Occupations with ‘Details’ and similar TV Occupations but without ‘Details’?

If so, then it would be easy to delete all the TV Occupation facts without ‘Details’ in FH.

e.g. You could manually delete the empty Occupation for Thomas Bladon and then the RM Occupation Details will appear on the Main tab.

Does that sound like a solution? If so, then I can explain how to bulk delete all those empty Occupation facts.

The only caveat is that any Occupation ‘Details’ added in TV since December will get deleted and need adding manually.

The alternative is to wait and see if S&N can fix the GEDCOM export fault.

Mike

Mike C

TreeView is not alone in incorrectly implementing the GEDCOM standard. Reunion behaves similarly to TV in the subject under discussion.

Someone using Reunion v12.0 proof-read one of my FH gedcom files, and re-exported it to gedcom.
The original FH gedcom contained the likes of :
  0 @I1@ INDI
  1 NAME Richard /Arnold/
  1 NOTE Haberdasher on Ludgate Hill.

but the Reunion export appeared as :
  0 @I1@ INDI
  1 NAME Richard /Arnold/
  1 NOTE @N1@
  0 @N1@ NOTE
  1 CONT Haberdasher on Ludgate Hill.

So, Reunion has incorrectly converted a single-line Note into a multi-line Note, with the first line as <Blank>. Similar behaviour to TV.
Reunion has also converted the Note from being localised to Richard into a general Note linked to Richard. This has somewhat changed the meaning of Note.
When loaded back into FH, the Reunion gedcom now shows the Note on the Records>Notes tab and not in the Propertybox tab Main.Note for Richard.
This was a simple gedcom, only having Notes, but no other facts like OCCU, so I cannot comment on Reunion in respect of those.

Following this discovery, my son tested the freeware Gramps, and found that Gramps does likewise, converting local notes into general notes.
However, Gramps does export  the Note correctly as :
  0 @N0001@ NOTE Haberdasher on Ludgate Hill.

MikeC

Mike Tate

Helena,

I recommend you spend some time checking as much as possible of what TV does not export.

Report everything you find to S&N and hopefully they will fix them.

Otherwise, you are going to have a great deal of work to re-enter all the missing information.

In future try and choose products that have a better track record and remember to check their import and export capabilities.

You always need to make sure you have an exit strategy.

I think TV has a free trial that I might find time to investigate to see if there are any workarounds.

I don’t think it matters much which order you perform the merge.

But check the advice in FHUG Knowledge Base ‘Merge/Compare File’ advice:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/merge-compare-file/

Mike

Mike Tate

Mike,

You are correct that many (most) products do not implement GEDCOM well.

That is further confused by the two standards GEDCOM 5.5 and GEDCOM 5.5.1 that differ somewhat.

Add to that the custom features that each product uses and it gets very complex.

Many products convert local Notes to shared Note records and sometimes add a blank first line.

That is why the FH Plugin ‘Clean Up Notes’ is so popular and recommended after importing a GEDCOM.

Mike Tate

Helena Coney

Thank you for your help Mike, I am now staying with FH, I like the Outline Descendant’s report, is a UK programme and does what I require and now I am a registered One name study it will help with that.  I have transferred the RM version to FH no problem as the occupation and census remain.  I have created an outline report in TV (1000 pages) and the same in FH (975 pages) in PDF and will go through and compare.  Although I have saved the report to PDF and it opens, there is no text but there are 975 pages there! Manged to work as a RTF.  From memory most of the changes I did were fairly recent but I can check.  A long job but this way I won’t lose any data.

Tree View do have a free trial but a lot of features were locked which was my mistake

Thank you once again and I will be sticking with FH!

Helena

Sent: 05 March 2021 17:02

Helena,

I recommend you spend some time checking as much as possible of what TV does not export.

Report everything you find to S&N and hopefully they will fix them.

Otherwise, you are going to have a great deal of work to re-enter all the missing information.

In future try and choose products that have a better track record and remember to check their import and export capabilities.

You always need to make sure you have an exit strategy.

I think TV has a free trial that I might find time to investigate to see if there are any workarounds.

I don’t think it matters much which order you perform the merge.

But check the advice in FHUG Knowledge Base ‘Merge/Compare File’ advice:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/merge-compare-file/

Mike

Mike Tate

Helena,

The FH PDF Report problems in FH V7 are well known and the subject of much discussion in the FHUG Forums.

https://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/

“V7 PDF creation very slow, creating huge files”

“No searchable text in PDF reports”

I have installed the TV Trial version which has all the features of the Premium & Basic editions for 30 days.

Its user interface is quite neat but there are many GEDCOM compatibility issues that I will be reporting.

Give them a chance to fix the missing ‘Details’ problem before spending a lot of time re-entering the data.

The ‘Details’ are omitted from every Fact and not just Occupation which is a major oversight.

Mike

Helena Coney

It was the interface – simple that attracted me to TV

Lets hope they get back to us soon, I still haven’t received a reply to my post on their forum from Tuesday and I’ve since sent them an Email

Helena

Sent: 06 March 2021 10:54

Helena,

The FH PDF Report problems in FH V7 are well known and the subject of much discussion in the FHUG Forums.

I have installed the TV Trial version which has all the features of the Premium & Basic editions for 30 days.

Its user interface is quite neat but there are many GEDCOM compatibility issues that I will be reporting.

Give them a chance to fix the missing ‘Details’ problem before spending a lot of time re-entering the data.

The ‘Details’ are omitted from every Fact and not just Occupation which is a major oversight.

Mike

Helena Coney

Hi Mike

S&N got back to me yesterday and suggested I synced my tree online to Tree view and then exported the Gedcom.  After spending all day syncing (possibly slowness due to 3 other people working at home here!) I have just downloaded the Gedcom and fingers crossed it looks like it has worked.  The only problem I have in Family Historian is that when I don’t have the full dates (only a year) it is entered a C 1918 (even for the census) is there any way of changing it?

Helena

Sent: 08 March 2021 09:41

It was the interface – simple that attracted me to TV

Lets hope they get back to us soon, I still haven’t received a reply to my post on their forum from Tuesday and I’ve since sent them an Email

Helena

Sent: 06 March 2021 10:54

Helena,

Mike

Mike Tate

Hi Helena,

I have not heard back from them yet in reply to my similar report.

As I said before, FH very rarely changes anything on import and certainly not Dates.

I would wager £10 that TV is adding ABT to year only dates, e.g. 2 DATE ABT 1869

Please check the TV exported GEDCOM file before import to FH.

Maybe you should report this problem to S&N?

There is an option in FH to display them as either 1869 (approx.) or c. 1869

It is possible in FH to use the ‘Search and Replace’ plugin to change all such Dates to just the year.

However, any Dates where you genuinely have approx/circa years will become just the year.

Mike

Sent: 10 March 2021 21:07

Hi Mike

S&N got back to me yesterday and suggested I synced my tree online to Tree view and then exported the Gedcom.  After spending all day syncing (possibly slowness due to 3 other people working at home here!) I have just downloaded the Gedcom and fingers crossed it looks like it has worked.  The only problem I have in Family Historian is that when I don’t have the full dates (only a year) it is entered a C 1918 (even for the census) is there any way of changing it?

Helena

Helena Coney

Hi Mike

I did try merging the new TV file with the one I imported from Roots Magic but I ended up with double dates!  So I gave up – everything seems to be there it is just the C on the dates.  I had spent a few days comparing the two files via PDF and made a note of new entries I had missed when merging so I am pretty confident the RM file is 99% up to date

Have you tried contacting them via the Forum on the Genealogist Web site?

Helena

Sent: 11 March 2021 11:32

Hi Helena,

As I said before, FH very rarely changes anything on import and certainly not Dates.

I would wager £10 that TV is adding ABT to year only dates, e.g. 2 DATE ABT 1869

It is possible in FH to use the ‘Search and Replace’ plugin to change all such Dates to just the year.

However, any Dates where you genuinely have approx/circa years will become just the year.

Mike

Hi Mike

Helena

Mike Tate

Hi Helena,

I presume you confirmed it is TV that is adding the ABT prefix to year only dates and you have reported that to S&N?

To remove the C from those dates you can use the FH ‘Search and Replace’ plugin downloaded from the Plugin Store.

Run the plugin and in its ‘Basic Filters’ ensure that only ‘Date fields’ is ticked.

Under ‘Search Criteria’ enable ‘Lua Pattern Mode’ which provides some regular expression magic and enter the following:

Search: ^circa (%d%d%d%d)$

Replace: %1

That matches ‘circa ’ anchored by ^ to the start of the date and ( captures a four-digit %d year ) anchored by $ to the end of the date.

The %1 replaces that whole date with just the captured year digits.

Click the green ‘Search & Replace’ button and review a few replacements by clicking the ‘Replace’ button until happy.

Then untick ‘Confirm every item found’ and click ‘Replace’ once more to perform all similar replacements.

The ‘Result Set’ lists all the replacements.

If anything is unsatisfactory then use Edit > Undo Plugin Updates…

Mike Tate

Sent: 11 March 2021 15:29

Hi Mike

I did try merging the new TV file with the one I imported from Roots Magic but I ended up with double dates!  So I gave up – everything seems to be there it is just the C on the dates.  I had spent a few days comparing the two files via PDF and made a note of new entries I had missed when merging so I am pretty confident the RM file is 99% up to date

Helena

Hi Helena,

Mike

Hi Mike

Helena

Helena Coney

Hi Mike

That worked a treat thankyou and also changed the census date as well.  However after I did this, I noticed that the will notes hadn’t been copied over in the Gedcom which I have now reported as well.  They appear on the online tree.  Hopefully this will get fixed as well!

Helena

Sent: 11 March 2021 16:52

Hi Helena,

I presume you confirmed it is TV that is adding the ABT prefix to year only dates and you have reported that to S&N?

To remove the C from those dates you can use the FH ‘Search and Replace’ plugin downloaded from the Plugin Store.

Run the plugin and in its ‘Basic Filters’ ensure that only ‘Date fields’ is ticked.

Under ‘Search Criteria’ enable ‘Lua Pattern Mode’ which provides some regular expression magic and enter the following:

Search: ^circa (%d%d%d%d)$

Replace: %1

That matches ‘circa ’ anchored by ^ to the start of the date and ( captures a four-digit %d year ) anchored by $ to the end of the date.

The %1 replaces that whole date with just the captured year digits.

Click the green ‘Search & Replace’ button and review a few replacements by clicking the ‘Replace’ button until happy.

Then untick ‘Confirm every item found’ and click ‘Replace’ once more to perform all similar replacements.

The ‘Result Set’ lists all the replacements.

If anything is unsatisfactory then use Edit > Undo Plugin Updates…

Mike Tate

Sent: 11 March 2021 15:29

Hi Mike

Helena

Hi Helena,

Mike

Hi Mike

Helena

Mike Tate

Hi Helena,

Yes, the ‘Search and Replace’ plugin Date change was global.

If you wanted it to apply to specific Date fields then Extra Filters could be used to limit the change.

It is quite common for products to put Notes in a linked shared Note record instead of a local Note.

FH is not so good at displaying linked shared Notes attached to a fact such as the Will event.

Have you checked the Records Window on the Notes tab to see if that Note is listed there?

If it is, then use View > Record Links… and it should identify the person with the Will event.

If any linked shared Note is only linked to one item then it can be moved to that item’s local Note with a Plugin.

Run the ‘Clean Up Notes’ plugin that is designed for this purpose.

Mike Tate

Sent: 11 March 2021 18:17

Hi Mike

That worked a treat thankyou and also changed the census date as well.  However after I did this, I noticed that the will notes hadn’t been copied over in the Gedcom which I have now reported as well.  They appear on the online tree.  Hopefully this will get fixed as well!

Helena Coney

Hi Mike

Yes all the notes were there in the records window.  I did what you suggested and all bar 7 notes reverted to the original person (including census notes).  Of the 7 that didn’t, 4 I re-entered by copying and the other 3 I have no idea what they are as they are just a year!

One record I checked, her 3 spouses had gone ‘walk about!’ they had somehow become detached from her in the transfer.  Looks like the rest are fine.  However on doing a quick scan, there do appear to be records that are not linked at all to the tree.  Is there a clean up plug in to search for records that arn’t linked?

Helena

Sent: 12 March 2021 10:08

Hi Helena,

Yes, the ‘Search and Replace’ plugin Date change was global.

If you wanted it to apply to specific Date fields then Extra Filters could be used to limit the change.

It is quite common for products to put Notes in a linked shared Note record instead of a local Note.

FH is not so good at displaying linked shared Notes attached to a fact such as the Will event.

Have you checked the Records Window on the Notes tab to see if that Note is listed there?

If it is, then use View > Record Links… and it should identify the person with the Will event.

If any linked shared Note is only linked to one item then it can be moved to that item’s local Note with a Plugin.

Run the ‘Clean Up Notes’ plugin that is designed for this purpose.

Mike Tate

Sent: 11 March 2021 18:17

Hi Mike