Gedcom help

Helena Coney

I have just upgraded to v7 after having a years break from FH.  I am trying to import my very large file of over 17000 people back into FH v7 from tree view (the software not online tree).  However the occupations have all vanished in the transfer.  everything else seems to be there - notes, 1939 census but not the occupation.  I then tried going tree view - roots magic to FH but the same thing happened. Can anyone help?  I don't fancy inputting over 1000 occupation's but want to start using FH after paying for the upgrade

Mike Tate

Helena,

FH is pretty good at importing whatever is in the GEDCOM file.

Since the Occupations were also missing via RootsMagic then my guess is that TreeView is not exporting some (or all) of them.

I presume you chose to ‘Include private facts’ in the TreeView Export GEDCOM dialogue.

Are there any clues in the FH Windows > Log Files > Exception Report?

Are there any Unrecognised Data Fields (UDF) from Tools > Uncategorised Data.

Do you know how to review a GEDCOM file?

Open it in a plain text editor such as Windows Notepad or WordPad.

Search for 1 OCCU which is the Occupation tag. Do you find any?

Mike Tate