Formatting Narrative report

Edward Sneithe

I am working on getting a better more readable format to my narrative reports. I have done some modification of the sentences for both standard facts and my custom facts. The one thing that eludes me is how to provide paragraph or line spacing on an individual fact.

On one fact I may want to separate it from the previous fact and later that same fact type I want to merge with the previous fact. If I use the <para> or <br> in the sentence definition then all of those fact occurrences are treated the same.

I can modify each fact sentence to accommodate but that disconnects that fact from the global fact so any change to the basic fact is not incorporated.

I have thought about creating a new fact called PARGRAPH and LINE BREAK  and then insert that fact wherever I want a break but that will make my property box fact list messy.

Has anyone found a solution to this that is not worse than the problem?

Mike Tate

What criteria determine whether you want the <br> or <para> included or excluded.

If it is something that can be tested it might be possible to make them conditional.

e.g.

<<br> {=GetParagraph(%FACT.NOTE2%,3)}>

will include <br> if the Note has a 3rd paragraph.

<<br> {=GetLabelledText(%FACT.NOTE2%,"Newline")}>

will include <br> if the Note has a paragraph starting with “Newline” and followed by a tab character.

i.e.

[[

Newline

]]

<<br>{=ExistsText(%FACT.NOTE2%," ")}>

will include <br> if the Fact has a Note or whatever data ref ExistsText is checking.

Another option is to use {%FACT.NOTE2[2]%} and on the All tab add a 2nd Note to the Fact that contains a blank line.

Michael Thomas

I hope you don’t mind me following Edward Sneithe’s question about narrative reports. After upgrading my OS I am learning about FH 7.0.7 as I couldn’t get the reports to work on my old machine and I know little about the technicalities.

The text of the narrative reports reads badly in my view – it’s almost biblical in parts! Can someone point me in the direction of the earlier type of report which had a traditional ‘dropdown’ appearance with bmds etc.? Photos would be a bonus.

My tree is more of a skeletal outline which is fairly superficial even though it goes back to the Battle of Agincourt for example. My interest is more towards writing monographs about people going back for a couple of generations only and adding a lot of detail from other archival sources. Thanks for any help.

[...]

Welcome Michael.

I’m not sure what you mean by traditional ‘dropdown’ appearance, but try any of the reports on the ‘Publish’ menu.

e.g. Individual Summary Report, Family Group Sheet, Outline Reports.

What you are seeing in Narrative Reports and any other Reports is just the default styles.

FH has many customisation options. See the FHUG Knowledge Base on Reports and Books:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/topic/reports-and-books/

Some users write Notes in their own words and adapt the Narrative Report to simply combine those Notes into a biography.

Mike Tate

Michael Thomas

Mike

Thanks for coming back so quickly. I am trying to assemble a monograph about my uncle/godfather just now – it’s a nightmare as there are so many sources hence it’s taking priority.

I should have an old report from FH3 and should be able to copy and send it to you so you can see what I mean. Coming shortly with luck.

Michael Thomas

I’m not sure what you mean by traditional ‘dropdown’ appearance, but try any of the reports on the ‘Publish’ menu.

e.g. Individual Summary Report, Family Group Sheet, Outline Reports.

What you are seeing in Narrative Reports and any other Reports is just the default styles.

FH has many customisation options. See the FHUG Knowledge Base on Reports and Books:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/topic/reports-and-books/

Some users write Notes in their own words and adapt the Narrative Report to simply combine those Notes into a biography.

Mike Tate

Edward Sneithe

Mike,

Thanks for the response. I will look at my data and see if there are any patterns to what I want. You present several interesting ideas which may be made to work for my particular preferences. As I look at this is there a way to see if a preceding or subsequent fact is one I want to combine with? Like in a real estate fact test to see if a preceding fact is another real estate transaction or could I see if any preceding or subsequent fact corresponds to this one. If I can somehow determine that then I could apply the same process I used on the birth and baptism facts.

I have many real estate transactions and they would combine nicely if I can determine from a sentence which ones to combine. I have successfully combined birth and baptism facts and death and burial facts allowing for each one to be present alone or in combination.

Currently I seem to be able to separate facts by putting a carriage return in the note field of the preceding fact which works but is not very elegant or particularly friendly. 7.0.8.2 does bot allow for <br> or <para> in the note field.

This may be an issue where there is no solution. FH does a great job but cannot possibly know how I want to construct a report.

Example:

Birth
RealestateBuy (1)
Education
Census
RealestateBuy (2)
Census
Marriage
RealestateSell (1)
Divorce
census
RealestateSell (2)

In this scenario can I determine  in RealestateBuy (1) that there is a RealestateSell (1) and combine those two sentences. I thought about combining the data for RealestateBuy and RealestateSell into one fact but that kind of messes up my timeline of events. This is the fun and challenging part of genealogy.

On Friday, September 10, 2021, 01:49:30 PM EDT, Michael Thomas via groups.io <mikethomasuk@...> wrote:

[...]

You are correct, <br> or <para> are not allowed in the Note field (or any other field) as they are exclusively Sentence Template codes.

It is not too difficult to test for the existence of %CUR_PRIN.RealestateSell[1]% or %CUR_PRIN.RealestateSell[2]%, etc.

The difficulty is determining whether the Sentence Template is running in %CUR_PRIN.RealestateBuy[1]% or %CUR_PRIN.RealestateBuy[2]%, etc.

Then it needs to ensure the index number [1] or [2], etc, is the same for both RealestateBuy and RealestateSell.

Presumably, the facts have unique Dates, so I wonder if something like this works as an evolution of your Birth/Baptism strategy:

=TextIf( %FACT.DATE% == %CUR_PRIN.RealestateBuy[1].DATE% and Exists(%CUR_PRIN.RealestateSell[1]%), … , %FACT.DATE% == %CUR_PRIN.RealestateBuy[2].DATE% and Exists(%CUR_PRIN.RealestateSell[2]%), … , …

i.e. If the current Fact Date equals RealestateBuy 1st instance Date then this must be the RealestateBuy 1st instance and needs to check for 1st RealestateSell.

Otherwise, a similar check is needed for the 2nd instance, then the 3rd instance, and so on…

Mike Tate