FInding an individual on a diagram

duncan mcmillan

Hi, I am a newbie to the use of family Historian v6 and must be doing something wrong as I cannot seem to find a way of searching the diagram for a particular individual. Could someone please tell me how to do this. 

Trevor Rix

Use the Records Window which is your Index to all individuals that you have entered.

John Hanson

With the diagram on display use the diagram menu and “Find in Diagram” or use Ctrl-H

Regards
John Hanson - researching the Halstead/Holstead/Alstead names
Researcher, the Halsted Trust - https://www.halsted.org.uk
Research website - https://www.halstedresearch.org.uk

2021 Family History Conference - https://www.elizabethanancestors.org.uk

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of duncan mcmillan
Sent: 04 April 2021 08:40
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] FInding an individual on a diagram

Hi, I am a newbie to the use of family Historian v6 and must be doing something wrong as I cannot seem to find a way of searching the diagram for a particular individual. Could someone please tell me how to do this. 

duncan mcmillan

Many thanks. However, when I haev the diagram up I cannot see "Find in Diagram" on the Menu.Or am I doing something wrong. Ctrl-H gets me to Select Records but I can find no way of getting from there to the diagram highlighting the correct individual.

On 06 April 2021 at 20:58 John Hanson <john.hanson@...> wrote:

With the diagram on display use the diagram menu and “Find in Diagram” or use Ctrl-H

Regards

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of duncan mcmillan

John Hanson

Duncan

Sorry but I thought that option was still there is version 6 – I am on FH7 but was certain that “find a person in diagram” was there in version 6
It might well have been on one of the other menu options and they do change depending on the where you focus is at the time
With FH7 whilst I might have a diagram/chart open unless the focus is on that the diagram menu option does not appear
Regards

John

Sent: 07 April 2021 00:57
To: family-historian@groups.io; John Hanson <john.hanson@...>
Subject: Re: [family-historian] FInding an individual on a diagram

Many thanks. However, when I haev the diagram up I cannot see "Find in Diagram" on the Menu.Or am I doing something wrong. Ctrl-H gets me to Select Records but I can find no way of getting from there to the diagram highlighting the correct individual.

Regards

duncan mcmillan

OK. I will upgrade to 7 and hopefully all will work. I thoguth that it would be simple. There is a fantstic range of things that you can do with Family Historian. I justy want to eb able to use one diagram as the basis for all that I do and more around within that diagram easily form one cluster of people that I am working on to the next cluster of people. I was hoping that a right cursor click on the diagram would bring up basic things like that. I guess that I will gradually get the hang of things.

Best Wishes
Duncan

On 07 April 2021 at 18:13 John Hanson <john.hanson@...> wrote:

Duncan

Sorry but I thought that option was still there is version 6 – I am on FH7 but was certain that “find a person in diagram” was there in version 6
It might well have been on one of the other menu options and they do change depending on the where you focus is at the time
With FH7 whilst I might have a diagram/chart open unless the focus is on that the diagram menu option does not appear
Regards

John

Sent: 07 April 2021 00:57

Regards

colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk

Edit > Find in Diagram (on the top menu) works in FH6, as does CTL-H.

Sent: 07 April 2021 08:16

OK. I will upgrade to 7 and hopefully all will work. I thoguth that it would be simple. There is a fantstic range of things that you can do with Family Historian. I justy want to eb able to use one diagram as the basis for all that I do and more around within that diagram easily form one cluster of people that I am working on to the next cluster of people. I was hoping that a right cursor click on the diagram would bring up basic things like that. I guess that I will gradually get the hang of things.

Mike Tate

After using Ctrl+H and Select Individual Record is displayed, select any record and click OK.

The selected record is highlighted in the Diagram and centred on the screen.

Mike Tate

It has NOT significantly changed in FH V7 so if you cannot get it to work in FH V6 you will similarly fail in FH V7.

duncan mcmillan

Many thanks. Edit>Find in Diagram and then select of individual works.

On 07 April 2021 at 19:33 "colevalleygirl@..." <colevalleygirl@...> wrote:

duncan mcmillan

Many thanks

On 07 April 2021 at 20:48 Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

After using Ctrl+H and Select Individual Record is displayed, select any record and click OK.

The selected record is highlighted in the Diagram and centred on the screen.

Neil Grantham

Glad it worked. Isn’t it an unusual way to navigate family, as you’ll need to create it every time you start FH, and not all individuals will necessarily be on it?

Best Wishes
Neil

Sent via BT Email App

Sent: Apr 7, 2021 at 11:54 AM
To: family-historian@groups.io, colevalleygirl@...
Subject: Re: [family-historian] FInding an individual on a diagram

On 07 April 2021 at 19:33 "colevalleygirl@..." <colevalleygirl@...> wrote:

--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow, Birchall.

Adrian Bruce

Duncan - I spend virtually all my time in diagrams but the interesting thing is that I'd never hit the problem that you describe - indeed I looked through 3 top level menus (Diagram, then View, then Edit) before I found that "Find in Diagram" is a command on the 3rd of those, so it's clearly not something I use much!

So, with my apologies if you don't want to, or can't, work this way, may I suggest that you don't try to confine yourself to one diagram, simply because it's so easy to generate a new one to appear as well as the old one.

The way I work is something like this.

Firstly you need to make sure that you have the Navigation Bar switched on (View / Navigation bar) because if you have multiple diagrams showing, that's the fast way to go between them.

Secondly, I have my Individuals tab set to show the first spouse against each individual in the Individual Records List. That gives me a fighting chance of telling one John Smith from the next.

Now, suppose that I am working in a diagram showing my ancestor John Purdy and want to go a part of a diagram showing the Salters who are descended from him. I *could* open the next generations further down and use Edit / Find In Diagram to find Thomas Salter (I happen to remember he's the one who married a Purdy). But this has a few limitations - firstly Edit / Find In Diagram only finds those people actually visible on the diagram. If my expansion button has closed his branch, or I'm not showing sufficient generations (same thing really), then Edit / Find In Diagram won't find him. Also, as soon as I try to get lots of people in one diagram, I can't read the boxes.

So, what I do is go from John Purdy's diagram to the Navigation Bar, in order to see the Individual Records list. Use the Filter facility at the top of that tab to filter down to last name Salter, first name Thomas. In that list, because I have it showing the first spouse, I can see the "Salter, Thomas" who married Sarah Purdy. Select him and choose your favourite diagram icon. And there you have two diagrams, open at once, showing both John Purdy and Thomas Salter. If I need to see the connection, I can select Thomas' wife, Sarah Purdy, and bring up an Ancestor Diagram that goes back to John Purdy - at this point I have 3 diagrams open at once and I can easily use the Navigation Bar to swap between them.

As I said, if you have some reason that you can't work like that, fine, but otherwise I'd really suggest that you give multiple diagrams a go. Particularly if, like me, you only have a smallish sized screen.

Adrian

duncan mcmillan

I guess it depends on what you are used to and working on - in Ancestry and most of the other online services you start with a diagrammatic model and then add information through the individuals on it, I am also a very visual person and I find it easier to enter things against a pop-up relating to an individual on a diagram. The diagram also reminds me of relationships quickly and I can quickly trace upwartds of downwards. Obviously, if I was doing a bulk update for an individual it might be different.and I might use a spreadsheet approach..

Best Wishes
DUncan

On 07 April 2021 at 23:02 "Neil Grantham via groups.io" <neil40@...> wrote:

Glad it worked. Isn’t it an unusual way to navigate family, as you’ll need to create it every time you start FH, and not all individuals will necessarily be on it?

Best Wishes
Neil

Sent via BT Email App

To: family-historian@groups.io, colevalleygirl@...

On 07 April 2021 at 19:33 " colevalleygirl@... " < colevalleygirl@... > wrote:

--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7

Neil Grantham

It wasn’t a criticism Duncan. I understand the approach coming from the Ancestry type model.

I’m just used to using the program model that traditionally uses the family page approach like FH.

Best Wishes
Neil

Sent via BT Email App

Sent: Apr 7, 2021 at 12:25 PM
To: family-historian@groups.io, neil40@...

I guess it depends on what you are used to and working on - in Ancestry and most of the other online services you start with a diagrammatic model and then add information through the individuals on it, I am also a very visual person and I find it easier to enter things against a pop-up relating to an individual on a diagram. The diagram also reminds me of relationships quickly and I can quickly trace upwartds of downwards. Obviously, if I was doing a bulk update for an individual it might be different.and I might use a spreadsheet approach..

Best Wishes
DUncan

Best Wishes
Neil

Sent via BT Email App

Tofamily-historian@groups.io, colevalleygirl@...

--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7

--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7

duncan mcmillan

I guess that it will take me a time to chaneg way of working as have been working with a number of online services form DNA vendors with family trees to other service providers like ancestry and so have got used to a diagram coming up when select a particular family tree, and then finding the individual in the area I am workign and then working from there and then moving to a different area using a Find.

I guess that you are using at a more advanced level, or more organised than I am currently working. I work with 4 trees and move between one tree and the other, and I display all relations from the root individual. Once I am happy that I have all the source data referernced against my assertions, then I will look at DNA and also start working on friends and other relationships . I have always worked with full trees and zoomed in on particular parts I am workign on using find in other systems. I do find some of the diagrams in Family Historian sub-optimal compared to some other systems but I suspect that may be because Family Historian has lots of options and haev not yet worked throguh them all.

With respect to separate screens , previously my preferred approach was to haev 2 windows open for a system - the one showing the area I am currently interested in and the other showign whereabouts on the overall tree I am.

Many thansk for your help. I am sure that I will get used to different approaches the more I do things e..g When I am workign on a census page it woudl be great to use a spreadsheet approach and enter the relevant sources and data for all the individuals within a househild or a building

Best Wishes
Duncan

On 07 April 2021 at 23:21 Adrian Bruce <abruce6155@...> wrote:

Duncan - I spend virtually all my time in diagrams but the interesting thing is that I'd never hit the problem that you describe - indeed I looked through 3 top level menus (Diagram, then View, then Edit) before I found that "Find in Diagram" is a command on the 3rd of those, so it's clearly not something I use much!

So, with my apologies if you don't want to, or can't, work this way, may I suggest that you don't try to confine yourself to one diagram, simply because it's so easy to generate a new one to appear as well as the old one.

The way I work is something like this.

Firstly you need to make sure that you have the Navigation Bar switched on (View / Navigation bar) because if you have multiple diagrams showing, that's the fast way to go between them.

Secondly, I have my Individuals tab set to show the first spouse against each individual in the Individual Records List. That gives me a fighting chance of telling one John Smith from the next.

Now, suppose that I am working in a diagram showing my ancestor John Purdy and want to go a part of a diagram showing the Salters who are descended from him. I *could* open the next generations further down and use Edit / Find In Diagram to find Thomas Salter (I happen to remember he's the one who married a Purdy). But this has a few limitations - firstly Edit / Find In Diagram only finds those people actually visible on the diagram. If my expansion button has closed his branch, or I'm not showing sufficient generations (same thing really), then Edit / Find In Diagram won't find him. Also, as soon as I try to get lots of people in one diagram, I can't read the boxes.

So, what I do is go from John Purdy's diagram to the Navigation Bar, in order to see the Individual Records list. Use the Filter facility at the top of that tab to filter down to last name Salter, first name Thomas. In that list, because I have it showing the first spouse, I can see the "Salter, Thomas" who married Sarah Purdy. Select him and choose your favourite diagram icon. And there you have two diagrams, open at once, showing both John Purdy and Thomas Salter. If I need to see the connection, I can select Thomas' wife, Sarah Purdy, and bring up an Ancestor Diagram that goes back to John Purdy - at this point I have 3 diagrams open at once and I can easily use the Navigation Bar to swap between them.

As I said, if you have some reason that you can't work like that, fine, but otherwise I'd really suggest that you give multiple diagrams a go. Particularly if, like me, you only have a smallish sized screen.

Adrian

duncan mcmillan

No problem,. not taken as a criticism. Just as some help with what is new software for me, where the software has a vast array of capability, options etc.
I have been using a number of views for the types of things I am workign on, and any help in approach that woudl improve my efficiency and learning would eb great.
As well as looking at friends and other types of relationships, I will be working on reasonably large groups of peopel in particular locations containing different family trees over a period of time and other forms of relationships through belongong to differnt groups e.g. particular church, next door neighbours, occupations.
Best Wishes
Duncan

On 07 April 2021 at 23:29 "Neil Grantham via groups.io" <neil40@...> wrote:

It wasn’t a criticism Duncan. I understand the approach coming from the Ancestry type model.

I’m just used to using the program model that traditionally uses the family page approach like FH.

Best Wishes
Neil

Sent via BT Email App

Sent: Apr 7, 2021 at 12:25 PM
To: family-historian@groups.io, neil40@...

Best Wishes
DUncan

Best Wishes
Neil

Sent via BT Email App

Tofamily-historian@groups.io, colevalleygirl@...

--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7

--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7

Lorna Craig

Actually Neil, the Focus Window (which I guess is what you mean by the 'family page') was not introduced into FH until about V4 (as far as I remember), so traditionally it didn't use the family page approach at all!   Many of us who started using FH with earlier versions were attracted to it because of its dynamic diagrams, and I, like Adrian and many others, still use diagram based editing, using the drag-and-drop method to add new individuals.  I have FH set to open on the Records window, and hardly ever use the Focus window at all.

Like Adrian, I create diagrams of whichever family groups I am working on.  (A single huge diagram is out of the question when you have thousands of individuals in your file.)

Lorna

On 07/04/2021 12:29, Neil Grantham via groups.io wrote:

.......I’m just used to using the program model that traditionally uses the family page approach like FH.

Neil Grantham

Yes the Focus window.
I’ve used FH since v5 and previously TMG, Legacy and one or 2 others where the default view was similar, so it’s my personal preference.

Best Wishes
Neil

Sent via BT Email App

Sent: Apr 7, 2021 at 2:44 PM
To: family-historian@groups.io

Actually Neil, the Focus Window (which I guess is what you mean by the 'family page') was not introduced into FH until about V4 (as far as I remember), so traditionally it didn't use the family page approach at all!   Many of us who started using FH with earlier versions were attracted to it because of its dynamic diagrams, and I, like Adrian and many others, still use diagram based editing, using the drag-and-drop method to add new individuals.  I have FH set to open on the Records window, and hardly ever use the Focus window at all.

Like Adrian, I create diagrams of whichever family groups I am working on.  (A single huge diagram is out of the question when you have thousands of individuals in your file.)

Lorna

On 07/04/2021 12:29, Neil Grantham via groups.io wrote:

.......I’m just used to using the program model that traditionally uses the family page approach like FH.

--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7

Trevor Rix

Ditto to Lorna's comments.