Find references

Michael Williamson

I am sure this is a very simple question and has probably been answered before.
I am trying to find out which individuals reference a particular place to go back and correct the entry. At some point I entered spurious information in the place field for some individuals so want to go back to the individual and correct the data. For example I have a place called 'Buried in Bretton and Broughton' so want to find the individual(s) who reference that place and sort out my error.

Lorna Craig

Use Tools > Work with Data > Places, select the Place from the list and then click Where Used on the right.  The Results Set will display all the uses of that place.   If you click on a record in the first column it will open the Property Box for that record.  Even better, if you double-click on a date in the second column the exact fact will be pre-selected in the Property Box.

Lorna

On 24/07/2021 17:37, Michael Williamson wrote:
I am sure this is a very simple question and has probably been answered before.
I am trying to find out which individuals reference a particular place to go back and correct the entry. At some point I entered spurious information in the place field for some individuals so want to go back to the individual and correct the data. For example I have a place called 'Buried in Bretton and Broughton' so want to find the individual(s) who reference that place and sort out my error.

Mike Tate

If you simply need to change the Place name from say 'Buried in Bretton and Broughton' to the correct ‘Bretton and Broughton’ Place name then you only need to edit that Place record. Every Fact that uses the Place name 'Buried in Bretton and Broughton' links to the same Place record. So you only need to correct that Place record to correct that Place name everywhere it is used.

In Tools > Work with Data > Places, select the Place from the list and click the Edit… button to make that sort of correction.

There is no need to find every Fact where it is used.

Michael Williamson

Many thanks for your help. I have a similar issue with a source. In the list of sources it says TITLE. I'd like to track down where it is used and fix it. In fact I should like to track down other sources to find out where they are used. You have explained how to do it with Places but the equivalent facility doesn't seem to apply to sources.

Lorna Craig

There are several ways to find where a Source  is used:

1. If you are using FH version 7, click on the Source record in the list in the Records window to open its Property Box.  Click the cog wheel icon near the top right of the Property Box toolbar and select Show Source Record’s Citations in Results Window.   (This method is not available I earlier versions of FH).

2. You can also select the Source record and then use View>Record Links to produce a list of Records linked to that source. By selecting one from the list you can then click Go To which takes you to that record.

3.  There is a standard query called Individuals Linked to a Source.  Note that only lists Individual records, not other types of record (Family Records, Place Records etc) which might also be linked to the Source.

4.  There are two suitable plugins:  List All Citations for a Selected Source and Where Used Record Links. (The latter can be used for any record types, not just Sources).

Lorna

On 25/07/2021 12:27, Michael Williamson wrote:
Many thanks for your help. I have a similar issue with a source. In the list of sources it says TITLE. I'd like to track down where it is used and fix it. In fact I should like to track down other sources to find out where they are used. You have explained how to do it with Places but the equivalent facility doesn't seem to apply to sources.

Mike Tate

Just as in the case of Place records, you only need to find the Source record to correct its Title.

You don’t need to find everywhere the Source is used unless you need to correct Citations or change the Source link.

So in the Records Window open the Sources tab and find the Source record with the wrong Title using the Filter at the top if necessary.

Then open its Property Box and edit the Title.