File path incorrect, New Windows 10 laptop, FH v 6.27 newly installed

gtbookham+carol

I am having difficulty getting my file to save and be found easily.
I had saved files on external drive to back up documents when changing over to a new laptop. Also saved to the D: drive is the zipped file created when exiting the program.
I can use restore function to bring the 2000+ person file in and have corrected the link for the media, but it does not seem to save it anywhere I can easily find the next time I go to use FH. So I am unwilling to risk adding anymore information in case it gets lost in the myriad of possible places it may go.
When I click on project window it states current project is in my c: drive as a gedcom file, but the location further down states My documents\ Family Historian Project

When I go to open up the project the file name has temporary in brackets but that doesnot have any data in it. The temporary project I created to bring the data into, is also empty each time I open.
I can find it if I browse and hit a file labelled temporary in the Documents/Family Historian Projects/Temporary  but why can I not save it as the main file to be found easily.
Sorry for rambling but computers are not my forte.

Mike Tate

Carol,

I am sorry you are having those problems.

The way forward is to describe your symptoms in a lot more detail and provide screenshot attachments.

You can see what is happening but unless you describe it accurately we cannot give the appropriate help.

When referring to files please give as much of the file path and file name as possible.

When referring to displays and commands, describe the relevant details fully.

I am going to ask lots of questions, so please answer as many as possible in order to get a solution as quickly as possible.

As you say, in the File > Project Window the default Location for your Projects is My Documents\Family Historian Projects.

Does that Family Historian Projects folder exist in your Documents folder when viewed via Windows File Explorer?

In Tools > Preferences > Startup what is the Default Startup File path?

Exactly what is the filename of the backup zip file you restored?

When you used File > Backup/Restore > Restore Backup and chose that zip file what di it say in Location to Restore to: ?

If necessary repeat that command but when reaching that Restore Project from Backup small window click on Cancel.

In the File > Project Window does it actually say Current Project: C:\Users\... or Current Gedcom File: C:\Users\...?

On the very top line of the main FH window does it say  - Family Historian Project – or – Family Historian Gedcom - ?

There is a detailed guide in the FHUG Knowledge Base for migrating from PC to PC and transferring all your Projects, etc.

So you may be better advised to join the FHUG https://www.fhug.org.uk/ which is free and follow the advice there.

Regards, Mike Tate

[...]

Evelyn and Christopher Wilcock <eandcw@...>

I am facing something similar.

Our new computer running Windows 10 offered the suggestion to put my document data and pictures in the C:/ drive which I did.

But then this morning as I prepared to move more pictures, I saw to my horror that my C:/ drive was almost full and there was another  drive marked D:/ for Data.
This is new to me. Having checked with HP, I am currently moving all my data to the D:/ drive.
After doing that I shall need to tell fh that its data Project folder location is on the D:/ drive.
I could be in trouble too, but I hope not.

This may not be relevant to the previous poster. But I too have been in new territory.
.
Evelyn Wilcock

Victor Markham

I have moved a lot of my files from C drive to One Drive where I can also access them on my phone

On 6 Feb 2020, at 09:38, "Evelyn and Christopher Wilcock via Groups.Io" <aol.com@groups.io target=_blank>eandcw=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

I am facing something similar.

Our new computer running Windows 10 offered the suggestion to put my document data and pictures in the C:/ drive which I did.

But then this morning as I prepared to move more pictures, I saw to my horror that my C:/ drive was almost full and there was another  drive marked D:/ for Data.
This is new to me. Having checked with HP, I am currently moving all my data to the D:/ drive.
After doing that I shall need to tell fh that its data Project folder location is on the D:/ drive.
I could be in trouble too, but I hope not.

This may not be relevant to the previous poster. But I too have been in new territory.
.
Evelyn Wilcock

Jane Taubman

When moving Documents folders,  it's important to tell Windows you have done so.

There is a good guide here

Once everything is moved.   If Family Historian is still looking at your C drive, click on the Blue link at the base of the Project Window and redirect it to the correct folder on your new documents folder.

Mike Tate

Yes, typically on new PC the C: drive is a comparatively small but fast solid state drive (SSD) intended just for the Windows OS and installed programs but not their data.

Usually there is a large traditional spinning hard disk drive (HDD) D: intended for data, pictures, etc.

If you are using MS OneDrive then set up its OneDrive folder on that D: drive and in its Backup settings you can move the entire Documents folder into the OneDrive folder.

Then in FH File > Project Window > More Tasks > Project List > Choose Location for Projects and browse to D:\OneDrive\Documents\Family Historian Projects folder.

Regards, Mike Tate

Our new computer running Windows 10 offered the suggestion to put my document data and pictures in the C:/ drive which I did.

But then this morning as I prepared to move more pictures, I saw to my horror that my C:/ drive was almost full and there was another  drive marked D:/ for Data.

This is new to me. Having checked with HP, I am currently moving all my data to the D:/ drive.

After doing that I shall need to tell fh that its data Project folder location is on the D:/ drive.

I could be in trouble too, but I hope not.

This may not be relevant to the previous poster. But I too have been in new territory.

.

Evelyn Wilcock

gtbookham+carol

Thank you everyone for replying, I have now managed to sort it out.

I have learnt something new about the C: and D: drives, that you don't get told or read about when getting a new machine.

Regards

Carol