File merge/saved charts

Don McQuade

Hi,

I am experimenting with merging two projects before I take the plunge. I noticed that saved charts are not carried over.

Is it possible to do this? Are there any other parts of the project that will not be merged?

Thanks,

Don

Lorna Craig

I think the problem with saved charts is that they rely on record ID numbers to identify the individuals who are to appear in the chart.  When you merge two projects the 'main' project retains its Record IDs but the 'other' project (the one you are merging into the main project) has to have new ID numbers assigned to its records because there cannot be duplicate ID numbers.  As far as I remember (apologies if this is not correct, and I haven't tried it in V7)  saved charts in the 'main' project will still work because its record numbers are unchanged.

As for other parts of the projects, the important thing to remember is to check ALL the tabs in the merge dialogue, to ensure that ALL types of record are merged where appropriate. A common mistake is to look only at the Individuals tab and then discover afterwards that there are duplicate family records, sources, etc.

Lorna

On 01/03/2021 11:43, Don McQuade via groups.io wrote:
Hi,

I am experimenting with merging two projects before I take the plunge. I noticed that saved charts are not carried over.

Is it possible to do this? Are there any other parts of the project that will not be merged?

Thanks,

Don

Mike Tate

Don,
I endorse everything Lorna says especially about checking ALL the Merge dialogue tabs.

It is easier to specify what will be merged rather than what will not be carried over.
Only the records in the GEDCOM file and its linked Media files will carry over.

Everything else in the .fh_data folder and the Public folder will NOT carry over automatically.
That includes saved Books, Cached 'hints', saved Charts, local Project Fact Types, website Packages, Plugin settings, etc.
If you copy some of those to the master Project they will still not work due to the changed Record id problem.
Local Project Fact Types, website Packages, and Plugin settings can be copied over manually and might be OK.
Saved Books and Charts are unlikely to work if copied over.

Mike Tate

Don McQuade

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I only have one saved chart I want to merge so not a problem recreating that.

I have also taken your advice and checked all the tabs for duplicates,etc.

Regards,

Don