Fiancee only

Edward Sneithe

I have a woman that was only engaged to my great uncle at the time of his death.

I have a family ring that was passed down and given to my great uncle to give to his girlfriend. He also gave her an engagement ring and a metal disk music box for an engagement present. All of these items were passed down in the family. My great uncle died in 1901 and his fiancée died in 1926 and she is buried in the family plot next to her intended mother in law.

This person deserves a place in the family genealogy but I am unsure of how to do this. I’ve tried a marriage but that is not true. I’ve tried a spouse with no marriage just an engagement but that is also not completely accurate.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Mike Tate

Edward,

Don’t be put off by the Spouse terminology which just means anyone with whom they had a relationship.

Add the standard Engagement event and do NOT add a Marriage event.

On the Property Box, Main tab, set the Spouse tab Status to Never Married or Unmarried Couple, whichever you prefer.

Then most Diagrams and Reports will make it clear that they were only ever Engaged even though they sometimes use the terms Wife, Husband, Spouse, Marriage.

With FH v7 Language Packs it is possible to translate most of those words to Partner and I can explain how if you like.

Mike Tate

Edward Sneithe

Mike - thank you.

Merriam Webster defines spouse as  married couple so I was just wondering how this would be treated in Genealogy terms.

I tried a very simple test case and got this:

2.

John Public, son of James Jones and Mary Travers, and Jane Doe became engaged in 1890.

I think this will be sufficient at this time. If not I can always come back for the help on the language pack