FH Project Folder not updating on OneDrive

Mike Tate

Ok, to prevent upsetting the desktop OneDrive folder you must sign out from your Windows account on the desktop PC.

Now sign in to your laptop PC account and delete the entire contents of the OneDrive folder but leave the OneDrive folder itself in place.

Start OneDrive and sign in to your OneDrive account.

Once signed in click the OneDrive cloud icon, then More ~ Settings

On the Settings tab ensure Files On-Demand is NOT ticked.

On the Back up tab use Manage back up to backup your Desktop, Documents & Pictures folders.

From now on those three folders will be kept synchronised with identical content on both PC.

Leave laptop to allow OneDrive to finish processing changes. It may take some time.

Eventually, the OneDrive folder and its Documents folder will look much the same as the desktop PC looked.

If anything looks unusual at this stage then let me know before proceeding.

When finished, sign in to your desktop PC and let OneDrive synchronise.

The Desktop icons on both PC will become merged and identical.

The Documents and Pictures folders on both PC will similarly merge.

Let me know when all that has completed.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Sandra Blackburn
Sent: 26 May 2020 17:38
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] FH Project Folder not updating on OneDrive

Just to confirm I am happy to sync the Documents folder between desktop and laptop via OneDrive.

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Sandra Blackburn

You will be pleased to know that everything has synced fine and both desktop and laptop have the same folders/files and desktop icons.
Without your help I would never have got this sorted out and I am extremely grateful to you for your expertise and patience.
Regards, Sandra

Mike Tate

Ok, no problem.

Now I suggest you work through the FHUG migration steps.

Check that the Tools > External File Links indicate no media problems.

Run the Backup and Restore FH Settings Plugin to backup on desktop and restore on laptop to migrate customisation settings.

But instead of transferring via USB pen drive you can, of course, use OneDrive.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Sandra Blackburn
Sent: 27 May 2020 21:25

You will be pleased to know that everything has synced fine and both desktop and laptop have the same folders/files and desktop icons.
Without your help I would never have got this sorted out and I am extremely grateful to you for your expertise and patience.
Regards, Sandra

Sandra Blackburn

All settings are now backed-up on the desktop and restored on the laptop.
Can you advise whether I now need to follow the Family Historian Synchronisation instructions in "Utility-Microsoft OneDrive (SkyDrive) or will both programmes automatically sync?
Thank you.

Sandra Blackburn

Further to the above, I now have 5 laptop programme icons which say that "the specified path does not exist".  These paths should be:
C:Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client\Dropbox.exe
C:Program Files\(x86)\Universalis\Universalis.exe
"C:Program Files\IrfanView\i_view64.exe"
C:\Users\sandr\AppData\Roaming\Zoom\bin\zoom.exe
C:\Users\sandr\AppData\Local\Amazon\Kindle.exe
Can you advise me how to restore these, please.

Mike Tate

No, you have effectively pre-empted those synchronisation instructions.

So your Projects should now automatically stay in sync.

But remember to only run FH on one PC at a time.

Whenever you change customisations you must repeat the Backup and Restore FH Settings Plugin process.

I presume all your Media have migrated OK?

i.e. You checked Tools > External File Links have no X marks.

If you use Ancestral Sources don’t forget to migrate that too, and only run AS on one PC at a time.

Mike Tate

Sent: 28 May 2020 16:58

All settings are now backed-up on the desktop and restored on the laptop.
Can you advise whether I now need to follow the Family Historian Synchronisation instructions in "Utility-Microsoft OneDrive (SkyDrive) or will both programmes automatically sync?
Thank you.

Mike Tate

One snag with synchronising your Desktop is all the icon shortcut paths must exist on both PC.

So presumably you have not installed Dropbox or Universalis or IrfanView on the laptop.

The options are to ignore the path does not exist warnings, install those three programs, or move those shortcuts to the Start menu or the Taskbar on your desktop PC.

The C:\Users\sandr\... shortcuts are because your account username on the laptop is different from sandr or perhaps you have not installed Zoom or Kindle on the laptop.

The solutions are much the same.

Alternatively, you could stop synchronising the Desktop icons via OneDrive.

Sent: 28 May 2020 17:31

Further to the above, I now have 5 laptop programme icons which say that "the specified path does not exist".  These paths should be:
C:Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client\Dropbox.exe
C:Program Files\(x86)\Universalis\Universalis.exe
"C:Program Files\IrfanView\i_view64.exe"
C:\Users\sandr\AppData\Roaming\Zoom\bin\zoom.exe
C:\Users\sandr\AppData\Local\Amazon\Kindle.exe
Can you advise me how to restore these, please.

Sandra Blackburn

Yes, all the media has migrated OK and there are no  X marks showing on External File Links.
I should have realised the reason for the programme icon warnings - those programmes are not installed on the laptop - and I apologise for troubling you about those.
Thank you for your advice concerning Ancestral Sources.
I really am grateful for your help and hopefully I need not trouble you again, at least for a long time!
Regards, Sandra