FH - Online version

Maria Arrabal

Are there any possibilities that FH can become an online version?  This possibility would eliminate some of the issues and give us the opportunity to access it from anywhere.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
Maria

Derek Kain

Hello Maria,
That only applies if the internet connection hasn.t been disconnected. Which happens often to me.
Derek

On Mon, 28 Feb 2022 at 16:26, Maria Arrabal <uria.bernardo1996@...> wrote:
Are there any possibilities that FH can become an online version?  This possibility would eliminate some of the issues and give us the opportunity to access it from anywhere.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
Maria

Mike Tate

You would have to ask Calico Pie but it is highly unlikely.

It is far from easy to convert a Windows application into an online application.

What many users do is export the Project via GEDCOM to an online tree such as Ancestry, FindMyPast or ZoomPast.

They are all entirely free and can be accessed anywhere on any device.

There is more advice in the FHUG Forums and Knowledge Base.

Mike Tate

Are there any possibilities that FH can become an online version?  This possibility would eliminate some of the issues and give us the opportunity to access it from anywhere.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
Maria

Victor Markham

I have Family Tree Maker and copy my tree there from FH. FTM shows links from names to ancestry

On 28 Feb 2022, at 16:27, Maria Arrabal <uria.bernardo1996@...> wrote:

Are there any possibilities that FH can become an online version?  This possibility would eliminate some of the issues and give us the opportunity to access it from anywhere.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
Maria

Tom H

You could do that now by renting a virtual Windows machine on a cloud computing service and installing it there.

rsamoir@blueyonder.co.uk

The whole point of FH is that it is NOT an online programme.

Alastair Moir

On 28 Feb 2022, at 16:26, Maria Arrabal <uria.bernardo1996@...> wrote:

Are there any possibilities that FH can become an online version?  This possibility would eliminate some of the issues and give us the opportunity to access it from anywhere.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
Maria

Tom H

On Mon, Feb 28, 2022 at 10:09 AM, Tom H wrote:
a virtual Windows machine
For example, a Windows 10 VM on Kamatera Cloud comprising an Availability 1-vCPU, 4GB RAM, 100GB SSD with 1 remote desktop client runs ~$10/mo powered off, plus ~$0.05/hr powered on to a max of $37/mo. "Availability" means you are not guaranteed the equivalent of a full CPU all the time. You can scale up to more power very quickly and back down so costs can be minimised by judicious management of the VM config - at least that's been my experience with them on a Linux server.

You would interact with your remote desktop through MS Remote Desktop. I don't know how satisfying the experience would be but your application is in the cloud and usable by you wherever you may be via the Internet and a local device with an adequate screen to display that of the Windows VM, keyboard and mouse. Microsoft offers a similar service and more (Windows 11, for example) through Azure.

Tom

Maria Arrabal

Thank you for answers.

I just did a DNA test through Ancestry and thought it was nice to access your information from anywhere.  This is a plus for me.

I would like to work on my FH tree at work during lunch but not able to because it is solely on my desktop at home.

Maria

On Monday, February 28, 2022, 02:01:53 PM EST, Tom H <ve3meo@...> wrote:

[...]

Richard Scantlebury

Why not use FH in conjunction with something like Dropbox with the data stored in Dropbox and accessed from 2 different terminals ie PC & laptop

Rich

[...]

Not sure I know what that is?

On Monday, February 28, 2022, 03:28:05 PM EST, Richard Scantlebury via groups.io <richard.scantlebury@...> wrote:

[...]

Maria, see FHUG Knowledge Base ‘Synchronising Family Historian between 2 PCs’

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/synchronisation-of-fh-configuration-and-data/

Regarding the use of a virtual Windows machine, I’m not sure how that squares with the FH licence terms that restrict its installation to two PC owned and used by the licensee.

Why not use FH in conjunction with something like Dropbox with the data stored in Dropbox and accessed from 2 different terminals ie PC & laptop

Rich

Adrian Bruce

On Mon, Feb 28, 2022, 21:13 Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Regarding the use of a virtual Windows machine, I’m not sure how that squares with the FH licence terms that restrict its installation to two PC owned and used by the licensee.

Gut feeling from me would be that would need its own license as all the details would be different. In fact, I'd be concerned that each time a cloud based Windows VM was brought up, would it have different licence characteristics? Of course, they may have thought of all that licencing stuff.

What I really wanted to mention though, was that Maria is unlikely to be able to access anything fancy from her work PC as it's liable to be very restricted - no ability to install cloud access mechanisms, eg. In the most restricted case, she might even be confined to approved websites only.

Of course, her work installation might be quite flexible but it's a factor to bear in mind.

Adrian

John Hanson

All the places that I worked would not allow you to install your own software in the first place
Approved software only and then installed by the techies

[...]

If the workplace allows you to use your personal cellphone, then you could use a cellular connected tablet or chromebook to remote control a virtual Windows machine or even your pc at home. The latter would avoid any licensing issue.

Maria Arrabal

Good morning,

I just thought if FH would consider an online line version meaning accessible via internet.  This would be the best way to access the software and your personal data.  At this moment, FH is a software that is installed in your desktop/laptop.  I would not install FH at work since it is not permitted.

As an example, Ancestry is accessible anywhere to you as long as you have an account.  An example is your email, which you can access at any computer connected to the internet.

I just wondered if that can be a possibility in the future with FH.

Thank you all for your comments and attention to this matter.

Maria Arrabal
Miami, Florida

On Tuesday, March 1, 2022, 07:53:47 AM EST, Tom H <ve3meo@...> wrote:

If the workplace allows you to use your personal cellphone, then you could use a cellular connected tablet or chromebook to remote control a virtual Windows machine or even your pc at home. The latter would avoid any licensing issue.

David Burgess

Hi

It is not clear to me why anyone would want to access Family Historian at Work.  Surely Work is for work and not playing with family history.  If you use a computer at work, then break times should be used to be away from a screen.

Whenever I am away from home, eg on holiday, I can take my laptop with me and have full access.

David Burgess

On 01/03/2022 13:01, Maria Arrabal wrote:
Good morning,

I just thought if FH would consider an online line version meaning accessible via internet.  This would be the best way to access the software and your personal data.  At this moment, FH is a software that is installed in your desktop/laptop.  I would not install FH at work since it is not permitted.

As an example, Ancestry is accessible anywhere to you as long as you have an account.  An example is your email, which you can access at any computer connected to the internet.

I just wondered if that can be a possibility in the future with FH.

Thank you all for your comments and attention to this matter.

Maria Arrabal
Miami, Florida

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#4889) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [david.burgess42@...]

_._,_._,_
--
David Burgess

Julia Vokes

Hi
I agree with David Burgess.  As a former HR manager, most employers would take a very dim view and probably regard it as a disciplinary issue, as work is for ……work!  Also most employers would not permit loading of 3rd party software onto their server, or access it via their servers. One of my employers also blocked various social media websites etc on their systems, as they correctly stated that work was for….work!

Julia

On 1 Mar 2022, at 13:34, David Burgess via groups.io <david.burgess42@...> wrote:

[...]

John Elvin

I presume you mean so that it can be accessed via a web browser. Doing that is an almost total rewrite of the software to handle the different interface and would not sell many additional licences. It would therefore not be commercially viable for that to be developed.

If you are prepared to leave your home PC powered up when you are away from home, there is free software available that allows you to remote access your Windows desktop using a web browser (e.g. Team Viewer).

Adrian Bruce

On Tue, 1 Mar 2022 at 14:16, Julia Vokes <julia.vokes7@...> wrote:
... as work is for ……work!  Also most employers would not permit loading of 3rd party software onto their server, or access it via their servers. One of my employers also blocked various social media websites etc on their systems, as they correctly stated that work was for….work!

As I recollect Maria did say that this was for during the lunch hour. If her employer permits recreational use of the systems (usually external access to the internet, say) during lunch time, it is not up to us to give the appearance of contradicting that.

What I would suggest is that, if lunchtime access to sites like Ancestry is permitted, then printing off a To-Do list (printing? Oh dear, listen to me!) sounds like a good idea and Maria could do some research on Ancestry (or whatever) during that time, copying and pasting results perhaps into a mail to be sent to her home address. It makes some use of time if you feel like it and it's pouring down outside.

Adrian

Maria Arrabal

Thank you Adrian.

By no means would I work on my FH lineage during work.  I have been working for over 30 years and have been considered a valuable employee.  I know the policy.  Lunch time is my time.  I really enjoy working on my family history and searching for all information possible.

So many applications are available through the internet with appropriate security that I just thought to ask if this would be a possibility.  It would alleviate many issues concerning upgrades, etc.  Even though FH is not an online application, I chose it for appearance and simplicity.  I reviewed other genealogy software and most are online and accessible from any computer with internet access.

Regards,
Maria