FH7 Citation Window

waltonnz

I have just installed my upgrade to FH having read as much as I possibly could first. I can't say I understood it all but will get there eventually. I've discovered how to dock my Source Pane at the side as I like it and I've discovered how to make the Citation window appear. What I would like to do is dock the Citation window where it was before - at the base of the Source pane and to have the two always showing. Is this possible or does the Citation window always have to be floating?
Thanks for you help
Patricia

Richard Whitchurch-Bennett

Hi Patricia.  I have just upgraded to Version 7 as well and have exactly the same wish. I found it so much better to be able to add and see clearly the citation note below. Hopefully this will be possible. I look forward to seeing suggestions from the usual very helpful experts.

waltonnz

Thank you for your response. I've partly solved the problem by resizing the Citation window and fitting it into the lower part of the Source pane, so that it actually looks very similar to what it was before. The image below shows the result. The only thing is that, If I close the Property window, I then lose the Citation window, but just clicking the yellow scroll icon brings it up again in the same place.
Patricia

image.png

On Wed, 20 Jan 2021 at 21:31, <whitbennrm@...> wrote:
Hi Patricia.  I have just upgraded to Version 7 as well and have exactly the same wish. I found it so much better to be able to add and see clearly the citation note below. Hopefully this will be possible. I look forward to seeing suggestions from the usual very helpful experts.

Mick Ralph

When I installed v7, the Property Box and Citations came up as in V6, docked at the right of the screen, with the Citation Box beneath the Property Box.

If you go to Tools>Preferences>Property Box you can set the position of the Citation Box (I think in the same way as in v6).  There are other options for the Property Box in the "Workspaces" tab, as shown at the bottom of that screen.

Mick

waltonnz

When I installed v7, the Sources pane was docked below the Property box, but not the Citations Window. I changed the Sources pane to dock at the side as that is where I like it. I've tried Tools>Preferences>Property Box, but it only sets the position of the Sources pane, not the Citation window. Nor does the workspaces tab. Are we confusing two different windows here?

Thank you for trying to help
Patricia

On Wed, 20 Jan 2021 at 22:50, Mick Ralph via groups.io <mick_ralph=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
When I installed v7, the Property Box and Citations came up as in V6, docked at the right of the screen, with the Citation Box beneath the Property Box.

If you go to Tools>Preferences>Property Box you can set the position of the Citation Box (I think in the same way as in v6).  There are other options for the Property Box in the "Workspaces" tab, as shown at the bottom of that screen.

Mick

Patricia,

That is exactly the best way to arrange the display in FH V7.

You may not have noticed but that floating Citation window does much more than the Citation pane in FH V6.

It provides access to BOTH the Citation and the Source record for Text From Source, Notes, and Media, etc, etc.

So you don’t have to open a separate Source record window as you did in FH V6 to get to the Source record details.

Also, there are useful options on the cog Menu, such as Show Source Record’s Citations.

So for example with a Census Citation, it will show all the other household members sharing the same Citation.

Mike Tate

Thank you for your response. I've partly solved the problem by resizing the Citation window and fitting it into the lower part of the Source pane, so that it actually looks very similar to what it was before. The image below shows the result. The only thing is that, If I close the Property window, I then lose the Citation window, but just clicking the yellow scroll icon brings it up again in the same place.

Patricia

On Wed, 20 Jan 2021 at 21:31, <whitbennrm@...> wrote:

Hi Patricia.  I have just upgraded to Version 7 as well and have exactly the same wish. I found it so much better to be able to add and see clearly the citation note below. Hopefully this will be possible. I look forward to seeing suggestions from the usual very helpful experts.

waltonnz

Thank you Mike. I'm really happy with what I'm seeing so far. I only installed vs7 a few hours ago, so have plenty to investigate.
Patricia