Fast Add Menu

Karin Schuette Weiss

I am using FH version 7.0.7.  Is there a way to edit the order
of the facts on the Fast Add Menu?

Thank you.

Karin Schuette Weiss

Mike Tate

No, you cannot freely adjust the Fast Add Menu, as the order is determined by the Normal Time Frame defined for each Fact Type.
That is why Birth comes first because its Normal Time Frame is Birth.
Then Baptism usually comes next as its Normal Time Frame is Shortly After Birth.
Within any one Time Frame, the Facts are alphabetically sorted and you cannot affect that.

You can add and remove any Facts you like from the Fast Add menu using the Fact Type definitions.

Mike Tate

BillH

Mike,

I'm not sure that is entirely correct. For me facts with Normal Time Frame of "Life" are not alphabetical.

For me this is the order of some of the facts:

Immigration
Census
Will
Arrival
Departure

There must be more to it than just the Normal Time Frame that determines the order.

Bill

On Jul 20 2021, at 09:33 AM Mike Tate wrote:

Within any one Time Frame, the Facts are alphabetically sorted and you cannot affect that.

Karin Schuette Weiss

Thank you, Mike and Bill.

On 7/20/2021 9:33 AM, Mike Tate wrote:
No, you cannot freely adjust the Fast Add Menu, as the order is determined by the Normal Time Frame defined for each Fact Type.
That is why Birth comes first because its Normal Time Frame is Birth.
Then Baptism usually comes next as its Normal Time Frame is Shortly After Birth.
Within any one Time Frame, the Facts are alphabetically sorted and you cannot affect that.

You can add and remove any Facts you like from the Fast Add menu using the Fact Type definitions.

Mike Tate

Lorna Craig

Bill, you are right there is more to it.  Mike has forgotten what he discovered himself during a discussion on FHUG in Feb 2020!  This is what he then wrote:

"Exploring further there is no alphanumeric sorting involved at all, and other criteria apply.
Within each Normal Time Frame the following criteria determine the Fast-Add Menu order.

    Individual facts come before Family facts within each Normal Time Frame
    Events come before Attributes within the two groups above
    Standard fact set is followed by Custom fact sets in Fact Set precedence order ...
    Facts are listed in the order they appear within their fact set (.fhf) file"

Lorna

On 20/07/2021 17:40, BillH wrote:
Mike,

I'm not sure that is entirely correct.  For me facts with Normal Time Frame of "Life" are not alphabetical.

For me this is the order of some of the facts:

Immigration
Census
Will
Arrival
Departure

There must be more to it than just the Normal Time Frame that determines the order.

Bill

On Jul 20 2021, at 09:33 AM Mike Tate wrote:

Within any one Time Frame, the Facts are alphabetically sorted and you cannot affect that.

Karin Schuette Weiss

I agree with Bill that there must be something else going on.
I have separate facts for US census years - i.e. 1850 federal census,
1910 federal census, etc.  Also for U.S. state census years - 1905 state census,
1925 state census, etc.  I expected they would be in at least numerical
order, and also that all the state census facts would group because of
the name, but that is not the case.

One section of my Fast Add menu looks like this:

Add 1925 State Census
Add 1905 State Census
Add Physical Description
Add Occupation
Add 1860 Federal Census

The 1850, 1840 and 1830 census facts are lower still.
I am very used to looking at the list and quickly finding what I
want, but I had thought I should check if I could make it more
logical.

Just my thoughts.

Karin Schuette Weiss

On 7/20/2021 9:40 AM, BillH wrote:
Mike,

I'm not sure that is entirely correct.  For me facts with Normal Time Frame of "Life" are not alphabetical.

For me this is the order of some of the facts:

Immigration
Census
Will
Arrival
Departure

There must be more to it than just the Normal Time Frame that determines the order.

Bill

On Jul 20 2021, at 09:33 AM Mike Tate wrote:

Within any one Time Frame, the Facts are alphabetically sorted and you cannot affect that.

Mike Tate

Thank you Lorna, I had completely forgotten about that. I blame the heat.
That advice needs to be added to the FHUG Knowledge Base somewhere.

So that explains Bill's order as Immigration, Census &, Will are from the Standard Fact Set.
They are followed by Arrival & Departure from the Extended Set or perhaps the Ancestry or FTM Facts.

Karin, your order is more difficult to explain.
Physical Description & Occupation are Attributes with Normal Time Frame of "Life" from the Standard Fact Set.

That suggests that 1925 State Census & 1905 State Census are Events with a Normal Time Frame of "Life" so come before the Attributes.

The 1860 Federal Census and other years must either be defined as Attributes or have a Normal Time Frame later than "Life".
Can you please check.
Also, are they in the same Fact Set as the State Census facts?

If necessary I can explain how to edit the Fact Sets to change the order of the Facts.

Mike Tate

BillH

Mike,

I looked and sure enough in the .fhf file Immigration, Census, and Will are in that order.

Do you havec any idea as to why? They are all Individual events with a timeframe of "Life". Why aren't they in alphabetical order?

Not a problem... just curious.

Bill

On Jul 20 2021, at 10:29 AM Mike Tate wrote:

So that explains Bill's order as Immigration, Census &, Will are from the Standard Fact Set.

Karin Schuette Weiss

Here is my fast add list.  S is for standard, c is for custom.  All of
the census facts are family facts.  As is marriage.  The rest are
individual.  Seeing that, I already realized that the first two census
facts formerly on my fast add list (1925 and 1915 - which were in the
wrong order) were individual facts, so I have removed them from
Fast Add already.  And I did already have a 1925 State Census family
fact which falls later on the list.

Add Anecdote - C, none
Add Birth - S, birth
Add Baptism - S, shortly after birth
Add Physical Description - S, life
Add Occupation - S, life
Add 1860 Federal Census - C, life
Add 1870 Federal Census - C, life
Add 1880 Federal Census - C, life
Add 1900 Federal Census - C, life
Add 1910 Federal Census - C, life
Add 1850 Federal Census - C, life
Add 1920 Federal Census - C, life
Add 1930 Federal Census - C, life
Add 1940 Federal Census - C, life
Add 1905 State Census - C, life
Add 1925 State Census - C, life
Add Marriage - S, marriage
Add Death - S, death
Add Burial - S, post-death
Add Obituary - C, post-death

So now it looks like everything makes sense except for the
one Census entry which is out of alphanumeric order.

Thanks so much for the help,

Karin Schuette Weiss

On 7/20/2021 10:29 AM, Mike Tate wrote:
[...]

Bill,
I have no idea why they are in that order. You would have to ask CP.