Family Historian versus Legacy #new

Derek Heritage

Having made the decision to switch to Family Historian from Legacy, because it was recommended to me and it's British whereas Legacy is USA biased, I am beginning to regret my decision already. Just a few reasons, below:
Surely I'm missing something.
Please help.
Derek Heritage
Legacy 9 Family Historian 7
Has a customizable Menu bar Limited menu bar
Custom events are same as standard Added custom events - Hobbies Result - He had a Hobby on (date) - I want it to say He had a Hoby of ### on (date)
Media can be stored in separate folders, with sub-folders Media all in one folder
Media can be re-linked No media re-linker

Fiona Hall

Hi Derek

My media files are all in several folders (1881 census, 1939 Register, Marriages etc etc) so it is possible

Fiona

Julia Vokes

Hi Derek
And I have customised several sentences so that they read how I want them to in the reports.
You need to experiment with the report settings.  Also do look at the FHUG forum which has lots of useful hints and tips

Julia

On 2 Sep 2022, at 12:06, Fiona Hall via groups.io <fiona.j.hall@...> wrote:

Hi Derek

My media files are all in several folders (1881 census, 1939 Register, Marriages etc etc) so it is possible

Fiona

John Hanson

Derek

Have you had a look at the Family Historian Use Group – lots of information there www.fhug.org.uk
Totally free and independent of Calico Pie

You can customize sentence when you create the new fact or amend one on existing facts – just remember that it will affect all facts unless you manually override one

Media can be in multiple folders

Not sure what you mean by relinking media – you need to explain it more thoroughly

Depends on what you mean by “customizable menu bar” – haven’t looked a Legacy for a while

Regards

John Hanson FSG

Having made the decision to switch to Family Historian from Legacy, because it was recommended to me and it's British whereas Legacy is USA biased, I am beginning to regret my decision already. Just a few reasons, below:
Surely I'm missing something.
Please help.
Derek Heritage

Legacy 9

Family Historian 7

Has a customizable Menu bar

Limited menu bar

Custom events are same as standard

Added custom events - Hobbies

Result - He had a Hobby on (date) - I want it to say He had a Hoby of ### on (date)

Media can be stored in separate folders, with sub-folders

Media all in one folder

Media can be re-linked

No media re-linker

Trevor Rix

Derek, media can be stored wherever you wish, but it is highly recommended that the Media folder within the project is used. That Media folder can have subfolders - no problem.

For media re-linking go to the Tools menu > External File Links... where you can re-link/Re-Map manually or use the Auto Repair Links.

Jenny Cochrane

Hi Derek

You can customise sentences for both standard and custom events.

In a standard fact just click on the arrow at the far right of the 'sentence' section of the properties tab and you can edit and when you set up a custom fact it asks you to define the sentence how you want it.

As per previous replies you can store media in folders as you like and there is a good media linking tool.

Not sure about the menu bar customisation. What is it you actually want to do.

On Friday, 2 September 2022 at 11:47:36 BST, Derek Heritage <heritage-family@...> wrote:

Having made the decision to switch to Family Historian from Legacy, because it was recommended to me and it's British whereas Legacy is USA biased, I am beginning to regret my decision already. Just a few reasons, below:
Surely I'm missing something.
Please help.
Derek Heritage
Legacy 9 Family Historian 7
Has a customizable Menu bar Limited menu bar
Custom events are same as standard Added custom events - Hobbies Result - He had a Hobby on (date) - I want it to say He had a Hoby of ### on (date)
Media can be stored in separate folders, with sub-folders Media all in one folder
Media can be re-linked No media re-linker

Mike Tate

Regarding custom facts, FH is different from Legacy because it supports and differentiates Events and Attributes.

To include the name of a Hobby you need to delete the custom Hobby Event and create a Hobby Attribute.

That allows the name of the hobby to be entered much the same as the standard Occupation Attribute allows the occupation to be entered.

Then in the Sentence Template definition, the {value} code will substitute whatever hobby name value was entered.

In general, you will discover that FH is far more customisable than Legacy for most features but not the toolbar.

Storing and linking Media in FH is extremely flexible but you may have overlooked the options as mentioned by others.

Regards, Mike Tate

Victor Markham

Derek
In the project folder I have a sub folder called family details. This sub folder has loads of sub folders mostly named by surnames but also a census folder with its own sub folders for each census years. I also have a certificate sub folder with sub folders for birth marriage etc
Victor

On 2 Sept 2022, at 12:26, Trevor Rix <trevor@...> wrote:

Derek, media can be stored wherever you wish, but it is highly recommended that the Media folder within the project is used. That Media folder can have subfolders - no problem.

For media re-linking go to the Tools menu > External File Links... where you can re-link/Re-Map manually or use the Auto Repair Links.

Vyger

Derek,

I migrated from Rootsmagic and really I am still a newby to FH but all your fears and claims are unfounded, for the record, I never liked LFT for some reason.

Migrating is always a difficult process but take time to learn FH to your needs, maybe run side by side with your old program, many migrants do this until they reach a level of competence then the stabilisers come off.

I will always point out the pros and cons of any software, I am no cheerleader and there is always room for improvement but FH was a step I should have taken years ago.

I don't have many FH videos, I like to compare products to provide unbiased content. Both LFT and FTM declined my offer to include their products in comparisons, their choice and saves me effort exploring other products which fall short of my needs.

Specific mention of media check out my quick promo video on the FH media features from a few days ago on the link below. I intend to follow with a tutorial pace video later in the year so feel free to subscribe if you want notifications.

Jackson

On Fri, 2 Sept 2022, 11:47 Derek Heritage, <heritage-family@...> wrote:
Having made the decision to switch to Family Historian from Legacy, because it was recommended to me and it's British whereas Legacy is USA biased, I am beginning to regret my decision already. Just a few reasons, below:
Surely I'm missing something.
Please help.
Derek Heritage
Legacy 9 Family Historian 7
Has a customizable Menu bar Limited menu bar
Custom events are same as standard Added custom events - Hobbies Result - He had a Hobby on (date) - I want it to say He had a Hoby of ### on (date)
Media can be stored in separate folders, with sub-folders Media all in one folder
Media can be re-linked No media re-linker

Vyger

I should have added I currently have 127 media folders without problem, uncheck the media folder option checkbox on import.

Jackson

On Fri, 2 Sept 2022, 11:47 Derek Heritage, <heritage-family@...> wrote:
Having made the decision to switch to Family Historian from Legacy, because it was recommended to me and it's British whereas Legacy is USA biased, I am beginning to regret my decision already. Just a few reasons, below:
Surely I'm missing something.
Please help.
Derek Heritage
Legacy 9 Family Historian 7
Has a customizable Menu bar Limited menu bar
Custom events are same as standard Added custom events - Hobbies Result - He had a Hobby on (date) - I want it to say He had a Hoby of ### on (date)
Media can be stored in separate folders, with sub-folders Media all in one folder
Media can be re-linked No media re-linker

Lesley Lambourne

A file structure for your media is entirely possible. I'm using v6; attached is a screen grab of my media folder for my canham_and_frost project
The path for this is C:\Users\Lesley Lambourne\Documents\Family Historian Projects\canham_and_frost\canham_and_frost.fh_data

By media relinker, do you mean adding a copy of an exisiting media record to another record? That's possible too by going to the Media tab of the source > Add Media drop down > Link to Existing Media Record

trevithick

Hello Derek,

I'm in the US and have used Legacy for years, but being disgruntled over their failure to update their mapping of Locations when Google changed the API.  For at least two years they claimed they were working on it, but now mapping isn't even acknowledged!

I agree with your findings, but I've found that FH does a better job of finding and relinking photos, but as you stated, they're all in one new folder, duplicating photos on my system.

Looking for a genealogy program that did mapping, I looked at countless reviews and was swayed by those of Family Historian and made the purchase.  I'm not sure I regret it, but it is far from intuitive, and now Microsoft has broken the ability of Family Historian to render maps in anything but the leaflet, and that shows few, making it essentially worthless.

I really like the open source Add-Ins of Family Historian, and I'm able to cleanup some of my data, reexport to gedcom, and import back into Legacy where the interface is far more intuitive.

A while back there was a notice of three upcoming Webinars on learning Family Historian so I went to sign up.  I guess my US Dollars used to buy the program are good enough as folks from the US are barred from signing up!!!

For now, or at least until I can spend the time finding the usefulness of FH, I only use it as a backup, and for the tools it offers.  Unfortunately, Legacy will remain my genealogy software.

Have you tried WikiTree?  It's far more tedious, but is based on the real world model of One Family.  It's all web based, so you still need a genealogy tools on your computer.

Just offering agreement with you, and my two cents.

--
Mark Trevithick

colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk

"now Microsoft has broken the ability of Family Historian to render maps in anything but the leaflet"

This isn't true. FH can render maps in Google, Bing or Open Street Maps.  I think you're referring to the Map Life Facts Plugin which only works with Leaflets now for many people because of changes made by Microsoft, but that was written before FH introduced its own mapping facility.  Start from the Map pin on the main toolbar.

"as you stated, they're all in one new folder, duplicating photos on my system"

Again, not true. There are very many users who keep their media outside their project structure, in a folder structure of their own choosing.  Or within their project structure, but again with a hierarchy in the Media folder of their own devising. If you explain what set up you want, it will be possible.

"three upcoming Webinars on learning Family Historian so I went to sign up.  I guess my US Dollars used to buy the program are good enough as folks from the US are barred from signing up!!!"

The events here? Events – Family Historian (family-historian.co.uk)

They're run by somebody (Jackie Depelle | Speakers | Family History Federation) totally independent of the company that write Family Historian.

Vyger

Well said colevalleygirl and to Mark as regards media in one folder just uncheck the box on import. FH prefers to keep media in the project folder but the choice is yours and I keep mine elsewhere.

I also don't find any of your points valid, I would suggest you research simple items like the checkbox I mentioned and other powerful features before making sweeping judgement in ignorance.

Jackson

On Sat, 3 Sept 2022, 17:00 trevithick, <mark-fhgroups@...> wrote:
[...]

Can I correct on point here

There are actually four courses listed

Three with Jacqui and the forth is run by the Society of Genealogists – and I am the lecturer

Is one of a series that the SoG has been running on digging deeper into various parts of Family Historian

[...]

Apologies, John. I should have spotted your course.