Family Historian Help

Derek Rogers

Edited

I have quite an extensive tree logged to date.

Part of my early investigations were around trying to trace an unmarried mother's partner, and I suspect that I followed a couple of trails which proved to be incorrect.   As a result, I suspect that I have a number of individuals listed but where there is no valid link to my true tree.

Is there any way that I can identify any such individuals where there is no real link into my tree, such that I can just clean them out of my data.

Appreciate any assistance here.    Using V5.

Regards

Derek Rogers

colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk

Have a look at the standard Search for Orphans query:

"This query is designed to make it easy to locate individuals who have no relatives.  However, it also makes it easy to locate small groups of individuals who are all related to one another, but not to anyone else.

It works by introducing the idea of a 'pool'.  A pool is a group of individuals who are directly or indirectly related to one another (you are "indirectly related" to X, if you are directly related to someone who is directly related to X - or if you are directly related to someone who is indirectly related to X, for that matter).

Family Historian works out how many pools there are, and arbitrarily assigns numbers to them.  By sorting on pool number, it is easy to see both how many pools there are, and how many people belong to each of them.

If you have a small tree file in which everyone is directly or indirectly related to everyone else, there will be only one pool, numbered 1."

P.S. I've redacted the personal information in your post -- unwise to include it when you don't know who'll be seeing it.

John Hanson

I could not run my large Halstead one-name study in FH with using this feature

With over 35,000 people in the database and over 800 “pools” is invaluable

Lots will say “oh I have no oddments” only to find that they do
One quick tip when teaching FH (back in the days of face to face meetings) was to get people to run the query, Hold down the ALT key and click the right mouse button (sorts into reverse order)

If it says 1 again you are doing better than most!

But just don’t go deleting the oddments check fist

[...]

Mike C

The most convenient way to have the pool data always available (no need for a Query) comes from a reply on this forum quite some time ago :
... create a new column in the Individuals record window : <rt-click>Columns...>Other...{at the bottom}>{move to right pane}>
... set Heading to: Pool
... set Expression to: =RelationPool() {NB: case sensitive}
... move column to top of list
... sort or reverse sort the column in the Individuals record window