Family Historian


Yasmin Gibbins
 

Good Morning

 

My Grandfather was one of 13 children over the years I have collected information on their marriages, their children, and their children’s marriages etc. My file is now becoming a pain as I am having trouble finding what information is outstanding.

 

I would like to split my tree to just show my grandfather his siblings and their partners. Not their children and children’s children.

 

I am using Family Historian 5 and looking to upgrade to Version 7, can anybody tell me if there is a way of doing this in either version. I have managed to work out how to spilt the tree to show just my direct ancestors but I want to show a limited amount regarding their families.

 

I am getting bogged down in not knowing what information I have and what information I need to find.

 

Most of my ancestors appear to have had large families on both sides and I have to admit I got carried away when I started my research and kept going off sideways and on tangents. Now I reap the benefits in as much as it is becoming unmanageable. My other option is to start a new file and begin putting in the information all over again not an option I want to take.

 

I hope this makes sense. I would be grateful for any advice or ideas anyone can give me.

 

Best Wishes

Yasmin Gibbins


Nicola Byrnes
 

Not sure if it’s what you’re after but I copied a section of my main tree and created a new project with it via Gedcom. That way I could concentrate on those particular lines whilst still having it as part of the main tree. The only issue is that you’d need to update the main tree every time you add info to the ’new’ one, which could be a faff.

Nicola

On 22 Aug 2021, at 12:05, Yasmin Gibbins <yasmin.gibbins@...> wrote:

Good Morning
 
My Grandfather was one of 13 children over the years I have collected information on their marriages, their children, and their children’s marriages etc. My file is now becoming a pain as I am having trouble finding what information is outstanding.
 
I would like to split my tree to just show my grandfather his siblings and their partners. Not their children and children’s children.
 
I am using Family Historian 5 and looking to upgrade to Version 7, can anybody tell me if there is a way of doing this in either version. I have managed to work out how to spilt the tree to show just my direct ancestors but I want to show a limited amount regarding their families.
 
I am getting bogged down in not knowing what information I have and what information I need to find.
 
Most of my ancestors appear to have had large families on both sides and I have to admit I got carried away when I started my research and kept going off sideways and on tangents. Now I reap the benefits in as much as it is becoming unmanageable. My other option is to start a new file and begin putting in the information all over again not an option I want to take.
 
I hope this makes sense. I would be grateful for any advice or ideas anyone can give me.
 
Best Wishes
Yasmin Gibbins


Victor Markham
 

Yasmin under no circumstances would I ever split my tree. All names I have are connected whether direct or not there is a connection.
If you want to split your tree keep it as a separate tree which FH allows you to but still keep your main tree.

Victor

On 22 Aug 2021, at 12:05, Yasmin Gibbins <yasmin.gibbins@...> wrote:

Good Morning

 

My Grandfather was one of 13 children over the years I have collected information on their marriages, their children, and their children’s marriages etc. My file is now becoming a pain as I am having trouble finding what information is outstanding.

 

I would like to split my tree to just show my grandfather his siblings and their partners. Not their children and children’s children.

 

I am using Family Historian 5 and looking to upgrade to Version 7, can anybody tell me if there is a way of doing this in either version. I have managed to work out how to spilt the tree to show just my direct ancestors but I want to show a limited amount regarding their families.

 

I am getting bogged down in not knowing what information I have and what information I need to find.

 

Most of my ancestors appear to have had large families on both sides and I have to admit I got carried away when I started my research and kept going off sideways and on tangents. Now I reap the benefits in as much as it is becoming unmanageable. My other option is to start a new file and begin putting in the information all over again not an option I want to take.

 

I hope this makes sense. I would be grateful for any advice or ideas anyone can give me.

 

Best Wishes

Yasmin Gibbins


Mike Tate
 

I would advise against splitting your tree.

Other users have done that and later wished they had not.

 

Perhaps if you could explain why you are having trouble finding outstanding information we could advise.

For example, have you used Named Lists or To Do Tasks to manage the outstanding research?

The FHUG Knowledge Base has advice on Planning and Tracking Your Research:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/planning-and-tracking-your-research/

 

Presumably, you have used Source Citations to ratify all the facts that you have collected.

They identify what facts have been proven and those that need research.

 

Mike Tate

 


Adrian Bruce
 

Yasmin,
The usual advice is never to split a tree because sooner or later,
someone will cross over from one branch to another. I've just found
one instance so far but I'm sure that as soon as I split (not that I'm
going to!) I'd find another crossover.

If it's just a case of wanting easier methods to navigate, there are
several things that you can do. Firstly on the Individuals tab, you
can use the filters to trim stuff down to only show one family (and
those who married into it, providing the options are set right, I
think). E.g. set Filter for last name to XXX.

If that doesn't help - e.g. one family in my tree named every
first-born son George Jackson, then you can configure the columns of
the Individuals tab to show the first spouse (I presume it's not the
default but I set it so long ago, I've forgotten). If you right click
on the grey column headings, you'll see an option "Configure Columns"
or right click in the columns (apart from the first) when you'll see a
"Columns.." option. Right down at the bottom, you'll see that you can
add "<Other...>". That brings up the ability to "Insert Data Ref",
which enables you to add all sorts of stuff - it might be best to talk
about that in the FH User Group site because we can add pictures
there.

Another possibility to help navigation is to follow the "Old picture
paints a thousand words" saying and use the Charts. The one you seem
to want is "Ancestors & Descendants". Select your GF and use him as
the root for an "Ancestors & Descendants" chart (the icons are on the
tool bar). That will show all your GF's siblings and it will start by
showing the siblings' children as well. What you need to do is click
the expansion button below each set of parents to close off the
children for those parents. You can do the same thing with the
children born to your great-grandparents' siblings - close them off by
clicking the expansion button. At some point you can then stop the
tree from going higher by clicking the expansion button immediately
above your GG-GPs (say). Or even close off your G-GF's parents but
keep your G-GM's parents open. Once you've done this (and it's all
reversible by clicking again) then save your work using the menu
option Diagram / Save Diagram As / Family Historian Chart. You should
use Save as a Chart, not the others, because then that can be worked
on again. Open it again by menu option View / Charts / Saved Charts.

The above is about navigating around your stuff - if you want to do
cross checking, then as Mike says, perhaps if you can give us some
instances because there are all sorts of ways to check - just as there
are all sorts of things to check.

Adrian

On Sun, 22 Aug 2021 at 15:44, Mike Tate <post@tatewise.co.uk> wrote:

I would advise against splitting your tree.

Other users have done that and later wished they had not.



Perhaps if you could explain why you are having trouble finding outstanding information we could advise.

For example, have you used Named Lists or To Do Tasks to manage the outstanding research?

The FHUG Knowledge Base has advice on Planning and Tracking Your Research:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/planning-and-tracking-your-research/



Presumably, you have used Source Citations to ratify all the facts that you have collected.

They identify what facts have been proven and those that need research.



Mike Tate




Victor Markham
 

In addition you can go to 'View' on the tool bar. Then click 'Query' from the window click relatives and relationships. This will open a whole list of relative versions which you can chose

Victor

On 22/08/2021 5:56 pm, Adrian Bruce wrote:
Yasmin,
The usual advice is never to split a tree because sooner or later,
someone will cross over from one branch to another. I've just found
one instance so far but I'm sure that as soon as I split (not that I'm
going to!) I'd find another crossover.

If it's just a case of wanting easier methods to navigate, there are
several things that you can do. Firstly on the Individuals tab, you
can use the filters to trim stuff down to only show one family (and
those who married into it, providing the options are set right, I
think). E.g. set Filter for last name to XXX.

If that doesn't help - e.g. one family in my tree named every
first-born son George Jackson, then you can configure the columns of
the Individuals tab to show the first spouse (I presume it's not the
default but I set it so long ago, I've forgotten). If you right click
on the grey column headings, you'll see an option "Configure Columns"
or right click in the columns (apart from the first) when you'll see a
"Columns.." option. Right down at the bottom, you'll see that you can
add "<Other...>". That brings up the ability to "Insert Data Ref",
which enables you to add all sorts of stuff - it might be best to talk
about that in the FH User Group site because we can add pictures
there.

Another possibility to help navigation is to follow the "Old picture
paints a thousand words" saying and use the Charts. The one you seem
to want is "Ancestors & Descendants". Select your GF and use him as
the root for an "Ancestors & Descendants" chart (the icons are on the
tool bar). That will show all your GF's siblings and it will start by
showing the siblings' children as well. What you need to do is click
the expansion button below each set of parents to close off the
children for those parents. You can do the same thing with the
children born to your great-grandparents' siblings - close them off by
clicking the expansion button. At some point you can then stop the
tree from going higher by clicking the expansion button immediately
above your GG-GPs (say). Or even close off your G-GF's parents but
keep your G-GM's parents open. Once you've done this (and it's all
reversible by clicking again) then save your work using the menu
option Diagram / Save Diagram As / Family Historian Chart. You should
use Save as a Chart, not the others, because then that can be worked
on again. Open it again by menu option View / Charts / Saved Charts.

The above is about navigating around your stuff - if you want to do
cross checking, then as Mike says, perhaps if you can give us some
instances because there are all sorts of ways to check - just as there
are all sorts of things to check.

Adrian

On Sun, 22 Aug 2021 at 15:44, Mike Tate <post@tatewise.co.uk> wrote:
I would advise against splitting your tree.

Other users have done that and later wished they had not.



Perhaps if you could explain why you are having trouble finding outstanding information we could advise.

For example, have you used Named Lists or To Do Tasks to manage the outstanding research?

The FHUG Knowledge Base has advice on Planning and Tracking Your Research:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/planning-and-tracking-your-research/



Presumably, you have used Source Citations to ratify all the facts that you have collected.

They identify what facts have been proven and those that need research.



Mike Tate





Geoff Johnson
 

A year or so ago Asmin, I was managing my family history in 5 separate projects.  It was becoming increasingly difficult, and I was needing repeated project switches.
I signed up to this wonderful Forum and read comments from the pundits.  They all expressed the view that I should merge them into `one big-un'.
So I did - Good move!
Not looked back since, other than to find one silly error that came up very recently; linking incorrectly two entirely different people with the same name.
My advice too is to stick with your current position, and perhaps focus on your navigation techniques.  I also find it crucial to have good management on birth-years.  Having ten William Johnsons in your Individual Records column is not good unless each can be identified by birth year.  I'm quite religious in listing Facts and Media as`Frederick Johnson b1845' for example.
Don't Unmerge!
Geoff J


Yasmin Gibbins
 

Thank you to everyone for your help and advice. The problem is I have managed to import a GEDCOM sent to me and whilst some of the people on it are related to me there are a lot that have no information apart from names and I am not sure that they are even linked and if they are it is so far removed and back that I am getting completely confused. I did think about just going through and deleting everyone accept the the person that links to my tree. But it seems like a lot of work. I have tried creating a query to do it, I have looked at the charts but cant see the one I want.
It was a stupid mistake to make as I have always tried to make sure that I note all my sources and evidence. I am planning to visit a record office and was trying to sort out the information I am missing based on my previous research there before lock down.


Mike Tate
 

When you say you have imported a GEDCOM do you mean you have recently File Merged a GEDCOM into your main Project?

 

I can understand why that might cause a problem if many of the merged records are of no interest to you.

 

If it is only a recent merge, can you revert your main Project to a Backup taken just before the merge?

 

Then the way forward would be to create a separate Project from that GEDCOM and split out the people of no interest.

People who are not related to anyone in your tree will have a different Relationship Pool number, so are easily identified.

We have discussed Relationship Pool numbers here before but do you need a reminder?

The first step is to run the Search For Orphans standard Query which despite its name actually just lists people by Pool number.

 

If you cannot revert your main Project then that Query would also help you find unrelated people.

 

Mike Tate


Jenny Cochrane
 

Yasmin - As I'm sure you know yourself, the problem here is one of organisation which FH has many ways of managing, depending on personal preference and circumstance. However, there may be no substitute for some methodical filtering and research which the tools in FH can help with. At the moment you can't see wood for trees, so you need to take a deep breath and chop down a few branches one at a time!!

Without knowing the detail and trying to keep it simple, I would not split the tree as everyone else agrees. I would go through all the individuals and mark those lacking information/needing research with an appropriate flag and add them to a list as you go. So maybe you might have a list for those who need their identity checking, another for those who simply need more detailed research or individuals relevant to a records office. Just don't end up with too many lists and start off with bite size chunks! 

The new Notes function in FH7 is excellent, allowing you to add research/to do hashtags to notes and the records window has a separate tab for Research Notes which I find very useful when those ideas strike and I know I will forget them all too quickly!

I wouldn't delete everyone who isn't directly linked to you. Some of my most interesting lines of inquiry have been with distant relatives and surprisingly often events link back to closer connections or illuminate family stories.

I would also echo using charts to get a feel for relationships and using the hide branch buttons as necessary.

Good luck

Jenny 





Victor Markham
 

I tend to copy my FH gedcom file to Family Tree Maker. FH describes many name as not directly related FTM does give a description like '3rd great grandmother of wife of Victor Markham' at least that provides a link. Whilst I am not directly related my children are. Other descriptions are ' cousin of cousin of wife of brother'

This is the only reason I have FTM I always work on FH as my default tree

Victor

On 25/08/2021 5:18 pm, Yasmin Gibbins wrote:
Thank you to everyone for your help and advice. The problem is I have managed to import a GEDCOM sent to me and whilst some of the people on it are related to me there are a lot that have no information apart from names and I am not sure that they are even linked and if they are it is so far removed and back that I am getting completely confused. I did think about just going through and deleting everyone accept the the person that links to my tree. But it seems like a lot of work. I have tried creating a query to do it, I have looked at the charts but cant see the one I want.
It was a stupid mistake to make as I have always tried to make sure that I note all my sources and evidence. I am planning to visit a record office and was trying to sort out the information I am missing based on my previous research there before lock down.


Yasmin Gibbins
 

Thanks again, I missed all the talk about Pool Numbers so don't know how the work I have looked through the help files on the system but they are not very clear.
What I have managed to do which I think will work. When I imported the file I set a source as the person that sent it to me so I ran a query on links to that source and have come up with over 200 names.
I think I am going to admit defeat and just leave them in my tree for the time being.


Mike Tate
 

Just try running the Search For Orphans standard Query.

It lists everyone grouped by their Pool number.

Typically, your main family tree with all your relatives is in Pool number 1.

Anyone in a different Pool is totally unrelated to you either directly or by marriage.

So if you are not interested in such unrelated people then bulk delete them as follows.

Select them and use the cog Query Menu > Add Select Cell Records to Named List.

Then right-click the Named List and choose Delete Listed Records…

 

Mike Tate