Fact Type corrections

John Hanson

I have imported a database from TMG into FH7 and now have an issue in trying to amend some of the fact types

The import creates a sets if facts in a fact set called “TMG Project” and using “Fact types” within the Tools menu item shows a long list of facts including birth, baptism, etc

Now I am happy to change these to the standard fact with those name so should be able to use the Plugin “Change any fact tag”

However when I select the “Source Tag set” as TMG Project it does not show these

This is not the first TMG project that I have imported and use the previous one (much smaller) as a test bed to make sure all would work OK

How can I get round the issue?

Hi John,

Please confirm you are using FH v7.0.8 and Change Any Fact Tag plugin v3.4.

I think you misunderstand the purpose of the Change Any Fact Tag plugin.

It is intended to change the GEDCOM Tag of actual Facts in your database.

It has nothing to do with changing the Tools > Fact Types… definitions that specify how those database Facts are displayed.

The TMG (project) Fact Set imports the TMG Master Tag Type List definitions and they override the Standard Fact Set.

So if you want the imported Birth events to use the Standard Fact Set definition you simply delete the TMG (project) definition for Birth.

i.e.

Use Tools > Fact Types… and at the top select Fact Set: TMG (project) which is crucial.

Select the Birth event, and hold down the Ctrl key to also select other events, then click the Delete key and acknowledge the warning.

Now there is no TMG (project) Fact definition for those deleted definitions, so the actual Facts will use the Standard Fact Set just like your other Projects.

BTW: You may have identified a flaw in the Change Any Fact Tag plugin regarding the Source Tag Set: TMG (project) that I shall investigate.

However, it does not prevent it from changing any database Fact Tags as there is a simple workaround.

FYI: I am currently in discussion with CP regarding Fact import problems for TMG that they have not perfected in my opinion.

Mike Tate

John Hanson

Mike

Thanks – my aged brain again!!

Yes using 7.0.8 and 3.4

Makes sense and will go sort out the way you describe.

just discovered another which I seem to remember being discussed before but can’t find it

Relates to a a sentence in TMG that starts with a <CR> code and gets converted to $!?&<br> by FH

I would have thought that the search/replace plugin might be able to sort it out but can’t get my head around it or can you point me in the direction of a fix

Regards

[...]

Again, the Search and Replace plugin only operates on database items, not customization details such as Fact Set definitions.

The only case where Sentence templates could be affected by that plugin is if the Facts tab has a specific local Sentence template instead of using the global Tools > Fact Types… definitions. However, it is only worth using the plugin if there is a significant quantity of such cases.

So, either manually edit each specific local Sentence box template where that problem arises, or in Tools > Fact Types… edit each Fact definition where the Sentence Template suffers the problem. You will probably need to review each Sentence Template imported from TMG anyway because it is not a perfect process. However, you are planning to delete many of those imported TMG (project) Fact Set definitions, so that might cure some <CR> <br> problems anyway.

If you still need advice about using Search and Replace to correct specific local Sentence templates then please ask again.