Entering Siblings with Unknown Parents


johnfirr@...
 

I have come across three parish burials in a small hamlet which are almost certainly three siblings. However although I am pretty confident that they are siblings I have no idea who the parents are. However it does not appear that FH will allow you to enter siblings without a parent ( I guess this is something to do with family groups) so the only way I can see to do it is to enter a dummy parent called unknown unknown ( if mother) or unknown surname ( if father)

Am I on the right track or is there a more elegant solution?

regards
John Firr


Mike Tate
 

It is possible on the Families tab of the Records Window to right-click and create an empty New Family record.

Then right-click that record and repeatedly use Add Child to link existing Individuals.

However, it is easier to add a temporary dummy parent and delete them after adding the children.

 


Adrian Bruce
 



On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 at 19:15, johnfirr via groups.io <johnfirr=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
... However it does not appear that FH will allow you to enter siblings without a parent ( I guess this is something to do with family groups) so the only way I can see to do it is to enter a dummy parent called unknown unknown ( if mother) or unknown surname ( if father) ...

Some people take against this idea because they believe it to be misleading. I don't think I'm going to confuse myself by having someone called  "unknown unknown", so I don't have a problem with such a name.

It becomes more of a problem if you transfer the data to someone else - particularly if you cross a language boundary. Imagine trying to trace a German family with parents Herr and Frau Unbekannt if you didn't realise that Unbekannt meant Unknown....

Personally, I prefer to create a dummy person because I can add notes to that person saying what the current state of research is for them. Again, there are other ways of doing this.

Adrian



Victor Markham
 

When I don't know the parents names. Let's say the surname of the child is Smith I put the fathers name as // Smith and mother's name as// (Smith)

Victor

On 31 Mar 2021, at 21:00, Adrian Bruce <abruce6155@...> wrote:


On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 at 19:15, johnfirr via groups.io <johnfirr= yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
... However it does not appear that FH will allow you to enter siblings without a parent ( I guess this is something to do with family groups) so the only way I can see to do it is to enter a dummy parent called unknown unknown ( if mother) or unknown surname ( if father) ...

Some people take against this idea because they believe it to be misleading. I don't think I'm going to confuse myself by having someone called  "unknown unknown", so I don't have a problem with such a name.

It becomes more of a problem if you transfer the data to someone else - particularly if you cross a language boundary. Imagine trying to trace a German family with parents Herr and Frau Unbekannt if you didn't realise that Unbekannt meant Unknown....

Personally, I prefer to create a dummy person because I can add notes to that person saying what the current state of research is for them. Again, there are other ways of doing this.

Adrian



stephen.challis@...
 

A fascinating thought, Adrian. I wonder how many non-English speakers are currently trying to trace relatives of John Doe ….

 

 

Stephen Challis

Please reply to Stephen.Challis@...

 

From: family-historian@groups.io [mailto:family-historian@groups.io] On Behalf Of Adrian Bruce
Sent: 31 March 2021 21:00
To: Family Historian Groups.io mailing list
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Entering Siblings with Unknown Parents

 

 

 

On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 at 19:15, johnfirr via groups.io <johnfirr=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

... However it does not appear that FH will allow you to enter siblings without a parent ( I guess this is something to do with family groups) so the only way I can see to do it is to enter a dummy parent called unknown unknown ( if mother) or unknown surname ( if father) ...

 

Some people take against this idea because they believe it to be misleading. I don't think I'm going to confuse myself by having someone called  "unknown unknown", so I don't have a problem with such a name.

 

It becomes more of a problem if you transfer the data to someone else - particularly if you cross a language boundary. Imagine trying to trace a German family with parents Herr and Frau Unbekannt if you didn't realise that Unbekannt meant Unknown....

 

Personally, I prefer to create a dummy person because I can add notes to that person saying what the current state of research is for them. Again, there are other ways of doing this.

 

Adrian

 

 


Brian Horridge
 

John

When I'm in the same situation as you, I've simply gone into the "Focus" window and selected the "Parents and Siblings" tab and there is an option towards the bottom to "Add Sibling".  It does create a Family without parents but you do not have to enter their details (unless you want to).

Brian


On 31/03/2021 19:15, johnfirr via groups.io wrote:
I have come across three parish burials in a small hamlet which are almost certainly three siblings. However although I am pretty confident that they are siblings I have no idea who the parents are. However it does not appear that FH will allow you to enter siblings without a parent ( I guess this is something to do with family groups) so the only way I can see to do it is to enter a dummy parent called unknown unknown ( if mother) or unknown surname ( if father)

Am I on the right track or is there a more elegant solution?

regards
John Firr

Virus-free. www.avg.com


johnfirr@...
 

Thanks everyone it's only a simple issue but always helps to hear others perspective.
As always help on this forum much appreciated.
John


Peter Atkinson
 

I ve always entered the surname of the father, similar to Victor; simple.
The odds are on a marriage having taken place so dont enter a mothers surname.
When that wall is broken down the correct data can be entered.

Peter


On Thu, 1 Apr 2021, 08:19 johnfirr via groups.io, <johnfirr=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks everyone it's only a simple issue but always helps to hear others perspective.
As always help on this forum much appreciated.
John