Entering a Source for the first time


Golden Oldie
 

I want to enter a birth registration from the civil registration index (England and Wales) for an individual. I have decided to use the Create Source from Template/Prepare Citation choice. I have filled in all the information requested in the Citatation Window. Despite reading over the instructions several times I do not know whether I should click any or all of the three choices: enable automatic, copy citation, data entry assistant (the program will not let me do the third and that makes sense). The yellow box (whatever its name is) shows up at the top of the screen giving all the details I have entered. Everything is logical to this point BUT I do not know how to save the information I have entered. Is there a specific icon in either box that I should click to confirm I am satisfied with my entry? If I close the citation box the information does not show up in the yellow framed "Sources for / Birth".

I am sufficiently confused that I begin to wonder if I can have my money back.
Pat Jeffs


Mike Tate
 

Please see the Help page on ‘Source-Driven Data Entry’ that explains the process and what those three choices offer.

That can be reached via the same yellow scroll Source button you start from but choose the last option:

“Learn about Source-Driven Data Entry”

 

The three options you mention are:

Enable Automatic ~ enables the Automatic Source Citations option that has existed for years.

Copy Citation ~ copies the Citation to the clipboard so you can use the Paste Citation button for any fact.

Data Entry Assistant ~ invokes a Data Entry Assistant that is new in FH V7 and helps with entering data.

 

Mike Tate


Lorna Craig
 

Pat,

No, there is no specific icon or 'save' button.  The data you enter in each field in the Citation Window  is saved  as soon as you move onto the next field.  (In this respect it is the same as entering details in the Property Box , where the is no Save button).  If you close the large Citation Window the source will still be listed in the "Sources for" pane attached to the Property box, and as soon as you click on it the Citation Window will open again displaying all the details.   In fact you can leave the Citation Window open permanently and as you click on any sources listed in the "Sources for" pane for any facts the Citation Window automatically display the details.

On 30/03/2021 12:30, Golden Oldie wrote:
........Everything is logical to this point BUT I do not know how to save the information I have entered. Is there a specific icon in either box that I should click to confirm I am satisfied with my entry? If I close the citation box the information does not show up in the yellow framed "Sources for / Birth".


Golden Oldie
 

I have now repeated the exercise twice and the only place I find any information from the entry is in the Query Window. I have clicked "Copy Citation" and closed the Prepared Citation window.. There is no source icon against the fact in the individual's Facts list. The Notes list is empty. Have I gone through all the steps correctly?
Pat Jeffs


On Tue, 30 Mar 2021 at 15:31, Lorna Craig via groups.io <l.m.craig=ntlworld.com@groups.io> wrote:
Pat,

No, there is no specific icon or 'save' button.  The data you enter in
each field in the Citation Window  is saved  as soon as you move onto
the next field.  (In this respect it is the same as entering details in
the Property Box , where the is no Save button).  If you close the large
Citation Window the source will still be listed in the "Sources for"
pane attached to the Property box, and as soon as you click on it the
Citation Window will open again displaying all the details.   In fact
you can leave the Citation Window open permanently and as you click on
any sources listed in the "Sources for" pane for any facts the Citation
Window automatically display the details.

On 30/03/2021 12:30, Golden Oldie wrote:
> ........Everything is logical to this point BUT I do not know how to
> save the information I have entered. Is there a specific icon in
> either box that I should click to confirm I am satisfied with my
> entry? If I close the citation box the information does not show up in
> the yellow framed "Sources for / Birth".






Mike Tate
 

Copy Citation just puts a copy in the clipboard.

Select the Fact you want to add the citation to and in the yellow Sources For pane use the Paste Citation at the bottom.

Please read through the Help pages I mentioned.

 


Golden Oldie
 

I have now found my way to "How to Copy and Paste Source Citations" in the Help Index. The process of pasting was what was eluding me. Sources for births and deaths of both the husband and wife and the marriage taken from the Civil Registration Indexes are now loaded and showing in the Source Information Box. I wish there were some sort of marker on the relevant lines in the main focus area to show that a source has been obtained for that fact.

Another question: Why aren't there lines for more than one census? I have 4 or 5 to put in for many of my entries. It is interesting to know immediately if a person moves around a lot or spends their whole life in one place.

Pat Jeffs



On Tue, 30 Mar 2021 at 17:25, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Copy Citation just puts a copy in the clipboard.

Select the Fact you want to add the citation to and in the yellow Sources For pane use the Paste Citation at the bottom.

Please read through the Help pages I mentioned.

 


Mike Tate
 

When you say lines for Census, do you mean more than one Census fact on the Facts tab?

Just keep adding extra Census facts each with a different Date and Place if necessary and add the Citations to those.