Duplicated Names

james o'kelly

how do I delete duplicated name/persons? from the list

Victor Markham

You can highlight the duplicates and merge them. This ensures you do not delete anything from each

On 31/05/2020 7:11 am, james o'kelly wrote:

how do I delete duplicated name/persons? from the list

Brian Horridge

James

As I use the ID number allocated by FH in my various research spreadsheets, I do not delete the unwanted individual.   I copy any relevant information to the the "new" person then remove everything from the "old" individual, change the name to "no longer used/no longer used/" and add a note saying "was john smith now ID 1234". This means that if, in the future I find the old reference number, I know who that piece of data is about.

Although FH will allow you to merge 2 individuals, personally I prefer to re-type (or copy-and-paste) the information from one to the other as it helps me make sure I've got it right and I usually re-check while transferring the data.

This does mean that I have several "empty" individuals but in a large database, FH can handle these without too much impact.

Brian

On 31/05/2020 07:11, james o'kelly wrote:
how do I delete duplicated name/persons? from the list

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Pauline Parnell

I do something similar to Brian, but re-use the record. I remove the surname and in place of the first name I put *REUSE which ensures it appears at the top of the individual list and doesn’t get forgotten (I learned the hard way that sticky notes on the side of the monitor fall off and disappear 😄).
Pauline

On Sun, 31 May 2020 at 09:04, Brian Horridge via groups.io <brian.horridge=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
James

As I use the ID number allocated by FH in my various research
spreadsheets, I do not delete the unwanted individual.   I copy any
relevant information to the the "new" person then remove everything from
the "old" individual, change the name to "no longer used/no longer
used/" and add a note saying "was john smith now ID 1234". This means
that if, in the future I find the old reference number, I know who that
piece of data is about.

Although FH will allow you to merge 2 individuals, personally I prefer
to re-type (or copy-and-paste) the information from one to the other as
it helps me make sure I've got it right and I usually re-check while
transferring the data.

This does mean that I have several "empty" individuals but in a large
database, FH can handle these without too much impact.

Brian

On 31/05/2020 07:11, james o'kelly wrote:
> how do I delete duplicated name/persons? from the list

Lorna Craig

Hi James,

As others have said, you can merge the duplicate records or copy information from one to the other.  But if you have two identical records, or if one of them has no data in it at all, you can just delete one of them by selecting it in the Focus window or in the list in the Records window and hitting the delete key.  You will need to say ‘yes’ to a warning asking if you are sure you want to delete the record.

Lorna

On 31/05/2020 07:11, james o'kelly wrote:

> how do I delete duplicated name/persons? from the list

Victor Markham

I would like to clarify the merger process a bit
When you have 2 similar names and you prompt merge the details of both appear you just choose which detail from each you wish to keep. When you have decided prompt merge.
One side may take all the information then you won't need the other.

Victor

On 31 May 2020, at 11:34, "Lorna Craig via groups.io" <ntlworld.com@groups.io target=_blank>l.m.craig=ntlworld.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi James,

As others have said, you can merge the duplicate records or copy information from one to the other.  But if you have two identical records, or if one of them has no data in it at all, you can just delete one of them by selecting it in the Focus window or in the list in the Records window and hitting the delete key.  You will need to say ‘yes’ to a warning asking if you are sure you want to delete the record.

Lorna

On 31/05/2020 07:11, james o'kelly wrote:

> how do I delete duplicated name/persons? from the list

james o'kelly

Thanks again, for the help, highlight and delete worked

best regards James