From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> on behalf of Doc Fuddled <Deckie49@...>
Sent: Saturday, January 30, 2021 12:07:53 AM
To: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io>
Subject: [family-historian] Does FH7 Do a Direct Import fro RM6?

I have been looking at the trial version of FH7. I don't see any direct import features to import from other genealogy programs. That would be expected from a trial version. So, can anyone tell me if the full FH7 version has direct import capability?
Thanks

Leslie P

To import from RM to FH, you'll need to export from RM to GEDCOM, and then do a GEDCOM import in FH. No direct import capability. The good news is that if you make sure to include the RM specific stuff in your GEDCOM export, FH can handle it. Some of it will come into FH perfectly well, other stuff will come in to FH and be undefined, but it's THERE and you can help FH define it or move the info to the place you want it. There's not much data loss.

For me, I have RM7 and have chosen over time to NOT use very many of the RM specific features, so there's really nothing lost that I've found so far.

The best thing to do is just try it - create an "everything" GEDCOM in RM, import it into a new project in FH, and then see how it came over.

Jan Murphy

If you're importing files from other programs to FH, don't forget the FHUG forum and the articles in the Knowledge Base: https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/importing-to-family-historian/

Jan Murphy
Moderator Pro Tempore