Does Calico Pie ever discount fh?

Tom H

Curious if fh is ever discounted as is often the case with other family tree software? Heredis 2022 was US$20 for Black Friday (I upgraded for $10). RootsMagic often has a seasonal sale around this time although there is not one currently, probably because of the RM8 release. I think last year one could get RM7 along with a couple of other products and the promise of a registration key for RM8 when it came out for $30, 25% off the current list price for RM8 alone.

Maybe CP does not because they want only the more serious and committed customers. A heavy discount might attract a group requiring a higher per capita load on support.

Just wondering because my trial period is running out and I've not been able to give it the workout I would like so I will be buying it (but I always like a sale!).

colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk

I've been using the product for nearly 19 years, and have never seen a discount offered.

Julia Vokes

I’ve been using FH since v3.0 and never seen a discount.  I suspect that if a discount was offered some of the fantastic support might disappear and along with the free minor upgrades.  I still think it’s the best value family history program available.

Regards
Julia

On 2 Dec 2021, at 10:57, Tom H <ve3meo@...> wrote:

Curious if fh is ever discounted as is often the case with other family tree software? Heredis 2022 was US$20 for Black Friday (I upgraded for $10). RootsMagic often has a seasonal sale around this time although there is not one currently, probably because of the RM8 release. I think last year one could get RM7 along with a couple of other products and the promise of a registration key for RM8 when it came out for $30, 25% off the current list price for RM8 alone.

Maybe CP does not because they want only the more serious and committed customers. A heavy discount might attract a group requiring a higher per capita load on support.

Just wondering because my trial period is running out and I've not been able to give it the workout I would like so I will be buying it (but I always like a sale!).

Victor Markham

I have used it since it first came out unlike others they do not do a yearly full upgrade. They do a small upgrade from time to time for free. I much prefer that than pay an annual upgrade fee

On 2 Dec 2021, at 10:57, Tom H <ve3meo@...> wrote:
Curious if fh is ever discounted as is often the case with other family tree software? Heredis 2022 was US$20 for Black Friday (I upgraded for $10). RootsMagic often has a seasonal sale around this time although there is not one currently, probably because of the RM8 release. I think last year one could get RM7 along with a couple of other products and the promise of a registration key for RM8 when it came out for $30, 25% off the current list price for RM8 alone.

Maybe CP does not because they want only the more serious and committed customers. A heavy discount might attract a group requiring a higher per capita load on support.

Just wondering because my trial period is running out and I've not been able to give it the workout I would like so I will be buying it (but I always like a sale!).

Mike Tate

CP offer a variety of discounts.

Users upgrading from an existing version to a later major version are often offered a discount off the full list price.

When a new major upgrade is due soon, then a purchase of the current version comes with a free upgrade to the new version.

There are institutional multi-user licence discounts.

Rich Crooks

Tom,
I agree.  A 30-day test drive is not really long enough to give FH the rigorous testing it deserves.  Nevertheless, after 30 days (while working through the Getting the Most From FH6) trial and several emails to CP that got quick responses and issue resolutions, I decided to switch from RM.  I’m now working in RM to clean up the db before my transition.

I think that you may be right about the level of support required for a cheaper program.  The questions on the current RootsMagic Community forum are of a much simpler subject that the questioners should have been able to figure out if they had put a little effort into researching the question.  I enjoy the level of questions and responses on both the FHUG and the IO forums.

As for discounts, after beta testing the direct-RM-import and making several suggestions that were implemented, I emailed CP and asked if they offered discounts to beta testers.  They replied that they didn’t.  No problem, I don’t mind paying the price for good software that not only works but has good support.

And as for the annual upgrade game that some companies play, that was never the case with RM - more like decennial upgrade.

stephen.challis@...

I would make the following points:

·         It’s so good, they don’t need to discount it to sell it.

·         It’s good value at the price it is.

·         It seems to sell at around the price that other quality software vendors discount down to! Draw your own conclusions from this about other software vendors!

Stephen Challis

Please reply to Stephen.Challis@...

Curious if fh is ever discounted as is often the case with other family tree software? Heredis 2022 was US$20 for Black Friday (I upgraded for $10). RootsMagic often has a seasonal sale around this time although there is not one currently, probably because of the RM8 release. I think last year one could get RM7 along with a couple of other products and the promise of a registration key for RM8 when it came out for $30, 25% off the current list price for RM8 alone.

Maybe CP does not because they want only the more serious and committed customers. A heavy discount might attract a group requiring a higher per capita load on support.

Just wondering because my trial period is running out and I've not been able to give it the workout I would like so I will be buying it (but I always like a sale!).

stoddarm@...

I received version 7 for free after purchasing 6. All updates have been free.

Whether it is good or not depends on your perspective. I assume I am in the minority so I live with the things most think are good hoping at some point I will transition to the majority. I can see value in a “lite” version but am not sure of the size of the audience nor the effort required. A “lite” version could be discounted.

Microsoft Word goes for $120, Family Historian for $70. Yes, Word is a business tool but genealogy is a billion dollar business.