Do you record "negative result" certificates

johnfirr@...

This is a bit of a random query but i,m just interested to know what others do in this situation.

I try to avoid ordering certificates unless I am very sure that they represent someone in my database ( costs rack up quickly!), but occasionally it is necessary to order certificates to work out if you are dealing with the correct person.

This happened just recently which has resulted in my holding two certificates of individuals I now know are neither ancestors or relatives. Whilst on the face of it these are therefore negative results they do have value in that recording them properly will mean I can avoid going that way again.

Just wondering what others do? Do you discard them, record them offline somewhere and keep the paper or do you create an unrelated individual on FH so you can record the event and put a note that this was a research channel that yielded a none relative.?

Just interested on how those who are more experienced approach this.

thanks
John Firr

stephen.challis@...

Assuming that you have an electronic record (eg a download or a scan), I would put them in a folder on my computer labelled, for example, ‘non-relatives’. Give the downloaded or scanned file the name of the person in the format surname, first name(s). Don’t forget to refer to it before you order any more certificates!

Kind regards

Stephen

Stephen Challis

Please reply to Stephen.Challis@...

[...]

Victor Markham

That is not how I would do this.

At the persons name I open the plug in for GRO and fill in the refernce details. Those details will be added to the persons name whether it is birth, marriage or death. If at a later date you can confirm th details are correct then order the certificate. If you find then wrong then delete it. All this is on the persons FH information so no need for a file. If the details are correct order the certificate then scan it ito a folder with the persons name. The input the image to the line where the GRO ref is

Victor

On 08/02/2021 8:52 pm, stephen.challis@... wrote:

[...]

F97Russell

What works for me is to make a note for the person in FH to the effect that "Their Birth/Marriage/Death isn't  XYZ..." which can be deleted when I've finally got the right one.

Geoffrey Knott

John,

I've found a number of instances where for a while I've been following the wrong individual, only for further research to get me back on track. (This can happen if you follow online trees, eg on Ancestry, where the tree owner has not followed up properly on research.) My solution is I've created a FH custom fact 'not be confused', with a sentence reading '{individual} should {label} with a person of the same name, {value}, {note}' with a reference to the unrelated individual I've created, under whose entry I can store the confusing facts and documents. Then, if I later return to the related individual, I won't make the same mistake twice.

Worth consideration?

Geoff K

On 08/02/2021 17:31, johnfirr via groups.io wrote:
[...]

David Nicoll

Excellent idea! I for one will be adopting

[...]

Mike Tate

You may also want to look the new FH V7 Fact Flags such as Private, Tentative and Rejected.

Even standard Facts could be created with Citations of the ‘wrong’ document and flagged as Private and Rejected with explanatory Notes.

Thus it is clear the cited document has been Rejected and the Private flag hides the fact in Diagrams and Reports.

Mike Tate

Sheila Bryant

I too make a note in FH for the relevant person along the lines of NOT ......... I always intend to try to offer the certificates up to the community, but they usually languish together at the back of the folder with certificates I know to be correct

Kind regards
--
Sheila