From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike Shingleton
Sent: 14 March 2021 13:46
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Displaying Sources and citations

I am getting terribly confused and appear to be going round in circles.  I am hoping some patient soul will be able to assist me.

In FH V6 I had source citations of both 'source splitters' and 'source lumpers'.  The former were mostly added using Ancestral Sources and were mainly Census Records and BMD records added using Ancestral Sources. However for GRO BMD references I used three generic lumped sources - GRO Birth, GRO Marriage and GRO Death.

Since upgrading to FH v7 the display of these records has changed.   With the property box docked I have a window to the right which shows the source but none of the citation details I could see previously.  I have tried to configure it according to other posts on this forum but without success.

Is there a simple way to 'revert' back to FH v6 appearance?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Mike S

Mike Tate

Mike,

Check the FH Help page for ‘What's New in Family Historian 7?’ and ‘New Citation Window’ online at:

https://www.family-historian.co.uk/help/fh7/hh_start.htm#whatsnewin7.html

Mike Tate

Mike Shingleton

Thanks - I will give that a go in the morning once my brain is well rested!

Mike Shingleton

Thanks Mike - will let you know how I get on.

Debbie Kennett

Unfortunately you can longer get the citations to appear in the source pane. I managed to change it so that the details are one click away rather than several clicks away which is not a perfect solution. See this thread in the FHUG Forum:

https://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18865&p=109618#p109618

I prefer the way that the text from source was displayed in FH6 but the other benefits of FH7, and particularly the word-processing facilities, make it worth staying with FH7.

Debbie

[...]

Debbie,

The new Citation Window is a floating window that can be left open all the time sitting over the yellow Sources For pane where the Citation details were shown in FH V6. That way there are no extra clicks once you have customised the generic Citation fields onto its Citation tab. That is all explained in the FHUG Forum thread you mentioned.

Mike Tate

Unfortunately you can longer get the citations to appear in the source pane. I managed to change it so that the details are one click away rather than several clicks away which is not a perfect solution. See this thread in the FHUG Forum:

https://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18865&p=109618#p109618

I prefer the way that the text from source was displayed in FH6 but the other benefits of FH7, and particularly the word-processing facilities, make it worth staying with FH7.

Debbie

Debbie Kennett

Mike

That’s true but the floating window only shows the information for the specific citation so if I have FreeBMD as a reference for a birth and I’ve included the GRO details in the text from source for the birth if I then move to to the FreeBMD source for the death for the same person I don’t want to see the reference for the birth in the floating box I want to see the reference for the death. I still have to click through again to see the text from source as soon as I go to a different record from the same source.

[...]

Sorry, but it sounds as if you have not actually tried out the Citation Window.

As soon as you select a different Source Citation all the details immediately change.

The Source Record details at the top and the Citation-specific details at the bottom.

It is just the same as other FH non-modal displays that change as soon as you select a different item, even in FH V6.

e.g.

Open the Property Box and then select any record to immediately see that record’s details.

Open the Fact Witnesses floating window and then select any Fact with Witnesses to immediately see their details.

Mike Tate

Debbie Kennett

Mike

Many thanks. You are quite right. I’m glad you pointed this out! I had the floating box partially obscured by the source pane but now that I’ve moved it out to the right I can now see all the text from source details every time I click on a new record.

Debbie

Sorry, but it sounds as if you have not actually tried out the Citation Window.

As soon as you select a different Source Citation all the details immediately change.

The Source Record details at the top and the Citation-specific details at the bottom.

It is just the same as other FH non-modal displays that change as soon as you select a different item, even in FH V6.

e.g.

Open the Property Box and then select any record to immediately see that record’s details.

Open the Fact Witnesses floating window and then select any Fact with Witnesses to immediately see their details.

Debbie,

I presume that is because you had a floating Property Box that can sit in front of other floating windows.

In FH V6, the floating Fact Witnesses window was always in front of a floating Property Box.

In FH V7, whichever floating window is clicked brings it to the front.

So as soon as you click a fact in the Property Box it jumps in front of the Fact Witnesses and Citation windows.

Mike Tate

Many thanks. You are quite right. I’m glad you pointed this out! I had the floating box partially obscured by the source pane but now that I’ve moved it out to the right I can now see all the text from source details every time I click on a new record.

Debbie

Debbie Kennett

Mike

Yes I do have a floating property box. I didn’t think you could have it set any other way. I don’t have any fact witnesses so I’ve never used that box.

Debbie

I presume that is because you had a floating Property Box that can sit in front of other floating windows.

In FH V6, the floating Fact Witnesses window was always in front of a floating Property Box.

In FH V7, whichever floating window is clicked brings it to the front.

So as soon as you click a fact in the Property Box it jumps in front of the Fact Witnesses and Citation windows.

If you hover on the rectangular icon at the right of the Property Box Toolbar is says ‘Dock Property Box’.

Click on that icon and the Property Box is docked to the right of the main window.

This docked mode is the installation default, so presumably you have adjusted the settings a while ago and forgotten.

Tools > Preferences > Workspaces defines whether the Property Box is Floating, Docked or Closed.

Mike Tate

Yes I do have a floating property box. I didn’t think you could have it set any other way. I don’t have any fact witnesses so I’ve never used that box.

Debbie

Debbie Kennett

Mike

I’ve always had a floating Property Box. I must have changed the setings very early on when I started using Family Historian. This allows me to resize the box and move it around the page easily. I’ve just tried docking it and it doesn’t suit my working style.

Best wishes