Display in Property Box

Chester O'Connor-Boyd

Hi,

I’m now using V7.0.3.

In the Citation panel of the Property Box, I have got it showing ‘Text: Source Record’ but, instead of the panel previously showing the data entry date and assessment, all it now has is the Source ID number which is not selected.

I have always had both shown in the ‘Customize Property Box’ and ticked in the ‘Options’, but I appreciate there may have been some ‘finger trouble’ when finding out about Generic and Templates.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction?

Thank,

Chester

Mike Tate

Hi Chester,

I presume you have just upgraded from FH V6.2.7 to FH V7.0.3 and this is your first encounter with Source Citations.

New users often experience your problem due to the introduction of a new floating Citation Window that can show the details you are missing.

There is an explanation in the FHUG Knowledge Base ‘Sources and Citations in Version 7 (for Upgraders)’:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/working-with-sources-and-citations-in-version-7/

You may need to use the Customize Citation Window options to reveal those missing fields.

Sorry if I have misunderstood your problem and it is something to do with upgrading from FH V7.0.2 to FH V7.0.3.

Mike Tate

Chester O'Connor-Boyd

Hi Mike,
Thanks for your reply.
I did try the FHUG Knowledge Base you gave but, as a lay person, I couldn't get the answer I wanted.
I agree that I only noticed this 'fault' when I upgraded from .2 to .3.
In addition, the other thing I noticed since then was that the bottom of a floating Property Box disappears below the screen but is fine when it is 'docked'.
I foresee, and hope for, a Version .4 coming soon.
Regards,
Chester

Mike Tate

The FHUG Knowledge Base won't help much as that is for upgrading from FH V6.2.7 to FH V7.
Upgrading from FH V7.0.2 to V7.0.3 has not changed the way Source Citations are displayed.
I think your original question is referring to the yellow pane headed 'Sources For:' with the words 'Citation (Text: Source Record)' underneath.
That has not changed since its introduction with the FH V7.0.0 initial release.

You must double-click the name of the Citation listed or click the yellow Edit Source Citation button below to open the floating Citation Window that displays the data entry date and assessment values.
Does that display waht you werre looking for?

Chester O'Connor-Boyd

Thanks Mike. I had figured out that difference in the Citation display with V7.  I guess I was looking for the way it was displayed in V6 so I'll just have to get used to the new display.  Not a problem.  It still shows the date and assessment when I 'Publish', so all fine.  Thanks again.

Mike Tate

That new floating Citation Window can be left open all the time, perhaps positioned where those Citation fields were displayed in FH V6.

Alternatively, if you have a large screen monitor, it can be positioned outside the main FH window.

Then whenever you select a Source in the yellow Sources For pane the details are immediately displayed in the floating Citation Window.

You don’t have to close it and re-open it to update the displayed details.

BillH

Chester,

I too preferred the way FH 6 displayed the citation detail below the sources.  I have found a way to make FH 7 look close to how I had it in FH 6.  In FH 6 I had the Sources For window docked to the right of the Property Box.
First I went to Tools > Preferences >  Workspaces and set "Preferred Position for Property Box" to "Docked".
Then I went to Tools > Preferences > Property Box and set "Preferred Position for Citation List Pane" and set it to "Open in New Window".
I then made the main FH window (with the Focus Window and Property Box in it) less wide than it was before.
Then I displayed the Sources For box by clicking on the yellow scroll icon in the Property Box and shortened it so it was only 1/2 it's original height.
Then I displayed the floating Citation Window and made it fit under the  Sources for box and customized it to show only the fields I wanted.

This is what it looks like.  Hope this helps.

Bill

BillH

I just realized my screen shot didn't show the Sources For pane and Citation Window with data.  Here is a better one.

Bill

Kathleen Cooper

How do you get the property box in the focus window?
--
Kathleen Cooper
San Diego, California, USA

BillH

Kathleen,

I replied with a couple screen shots which will cause that reply to be delayed until it is approved by the moderators.

I forgot to say also that I changed some settings in preferences also.  See my earlier to Chester,.  In particular to cause the property box to always be docked next to the focus window do the following:

Go to Tools > Preferences >  Workspaces and set "Preferred Position for Property Box" to "Docked".

Bill

Kathleen Cooper

Sorry, sent a previous reply that didn't make sense. I get that the Property Box needs to be docked and the Focus Window needs to be skinny to accommodate that on the right hand side. But how are the Source Box and Citation Box added to the right of those?

Are you using a wide screen, whereas I am on a 19-inch laptop? Could that be the problem? I don't see a way to dock those two to the right-hand side.

Feeling dumb in SoCal...
--
Kathleen Cooper
San Diego, California, USA

BillH

Kathleen,

I have a 23" monitor, but you should be able to do it on a smaller screen as well.

Those other two windows are not docked.  They are floating so you can position them where you want them.  This is what I did.

After you dock the property box on the right then resize the combined focus window and property box to make them take up just the left two thirds of your screen.
Then go to Tools > Preferences > Property Box and set "Preferred Position for Citation List Pane" to "Open in New Window".. Then display the Sources For box by clicking on the yellow scroll icon at the top right of the Property Box.  This will open the Sources For box.  Position the window to the right of the property box and then shorten it so it is only 1/2 it's original height. Then select a citation in the Citation List Pane and click on the icon that looks like a scroll with a pen at the bottom of the pane.  This will make the Citation List Pane open in a window.  Resize it the way you want it and move it under the Sources For pane.

Just as an aside, it is much easier to discuss this kind of thing on the FHUG (Family Historian User Group) web site at https://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/.  Many more people use it than this groups.io site.  Also you can post screen shots and they display right away rather than having to wait for them to be moderated.

Bill

BillH

Kathleen,

You can't actually get it in the focus window.  What I show in my screen shot is having the property box docked next to the focus window.  In the property box is undocked, in the upper right hand corner you will see an icon like this:

If you click on it, the property box will dock next to the focus window and the icon will change to look like this:

Bill