Directory Storage

Ken

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Can someone please advise to me how find the directory that this program stores data in? And when is that updated how you can MAKE the program update that location with latest file changes?

Really driving me a bit batty to say the least.

Than You

F97Russell

The default is Documents > Family Historian Projects.   To choose where to put the project, go to File > Backup/Restore > Backup options.

Derek Kain

Hello Ken,
Look at Menu - Tools - Preferences - Backup
Otherwise when you do a backup (Menu - Backup) you can specify the directory.
Having trouble finding a backup. Use File Explorer - Search.
Derek

On Fri, 12 Jun 2020 at 23:12, Ken <kw222@...> wrote:

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Can someone please advise to me how find the directory that this program stores data in? And when is that updated how you can MAKE the program update that location with latest file changes?

Really driving me a bit batty to say the least.

Than You

Ken,

I do not know why this discussion has introduced Backups because you do not mention that at all. So ignore that advice.

To answer your question it depends non exactly what data you are talking about, and whether you have set up a Project or just using a GEDCOM file.

If you have just used a free-standing GEDCOM file then that is where the FH program stores virtually all its data.

The Save command will update that file, and when you close FH it will prompt you to save any outstanding changes.

You can tell it is in free-standing GEDCOM file mode because at the very top of the main window it says - Family Historian Gedcom -

If you created a Project via the File > Project Window command New Project button then the very top of the main window says - Family Historian Project -

The File > Project Window field called Location specifies where the data is held and defaults to the My Documents\Family Historian Projects folder.

If your Project name is MyProject then all the data is inside the My Documents\Family Historian Projects\MyProject\ folder.

Most of your data will be saved in the GEDCOM file located at My Documents\Family Historian Projects\MyProject\MyProject.fh_data\MyProject.ged file.

Any Media files that you add will usually be saved in the same \...\MyProject.fh_data\ folder but in its Media sub-folder.

Any Diagrams or Reports or other entities that you export will usually be saved in the My Documents\Family Historian Projects\MyProject\Public\ folder.

However, customisation of Diagrams or Reports or other entities is mostly saved in the C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian hidden folder.

I hope that answers your question.

Regards, Mike Tate

Look at Menu - Tools - Preferences - Backup

Otherwise when you do a backup (Menu - Backup) you can specify the directory.

Having trouble finding a backup. Use File Explorer - Search.

Derek

On Fri, 12 Jun 2020 at 23:12, Ken <kw222@...> wrote:

Can someone please advise to me how find the directory that this program stores data in? And when is that updated how you can MAKE the program update that location with latest file changes?

Really driving me a bit batty to say the least.

Than You

Ken

THANK YOU very much!!