Diagrams and PDF printing

michaellee508@...

I have been trying to print an all relative diagram but however I try it ends up black & white I have tried with both the family historian Nova printer and with Cute PDf writer bur all to no avail. [I did change the background to generation stripes but otherwise have not changed the formatting]  When using the Nova writer I always end up with a message not responding and have to shut the program down to get out. I have read and I think understood  <https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/single-pdf-page-of-a-diagram/  To check I have printed to PDF succesfully with the cute writer an ancestors and descendents diagram admittedly it did not have photos attached can any one help please.

Also is it possable in a diagram to show name only for those living and further details for those that are dead.

many thanks 

Michael

Neil Grantham

Michelle

Are you trying to print or create a large one page PDF?

I am assuming you are printing to PDF?

Is this version 6 or 7?

In v7 if I create an all relatives diagram then go to Diagram > Save Diagram as... > PDF, the 'Save as PDF file' dialogue opens and I select 'Adjust PDF....'

Click OK

The print dialogue opens showing 'Family Historian PDF' using the novaPDF 7 printer driver

Click Properties... and then go to the Graphics Tab

Is Predefined 'Compress' selected or or perhaps one of the Monchrome or grayscale options?

Best Wishes

Neil.

------ Original Message ------
To: family-historian@groups.io
Sent: Monday, 22 Feb, 2021 At 10:08
Subject: [family-historian] Diagrams and PDF printing

I have been trying to print an all relative diagram but however I try it ends up black & white I have tried with both the family historian Nova printer and with Cute PDf writer bur all to no avail. [I did change the background to generation stripes but otherwise have not changed the formatting] When using the Nova writer I always end up with a message not responding and have to shut the program down to get out. I have read and I think understood <https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/single-pdf-page-of-a-diagram/ To check I have printed to PDF succesfully with the cute writer an ancestors and descendents diagram admittedly it did not have photos attached can any one help please.

Also is it possable in a diagram to show name only for those living and further details for those that are dead.

many thanks

Michael

--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow, Birchall.

Lorna Craig

Look at the Diagram Options > Print tab.  There is a tick box there to ‘Print tree lines, boxes and text in black-and-white only’.  By default this is not ticked, but perhaps you have ticked that option at some time in the past?

To hide the details of living people in a diagram you will need to clone your usual text scheme and make all the lines other than the name conditional on the existence of a Living flag.   Ask again if you need assistance with that.

Lorna

Sent: 22 February 2021 10:09

I have been trying to print an all relative diagram but however I try it ends up black & white I have tried with both the family historian Nova printer and with Cute PDf writer bur all to no avail. [I did change the background to generation stripes but otherwise have not changed the formatting]  When using the Nova writer I always end up with a message not responding and have to shut the program down to get out. I have read and I think understood  <https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/single-pdf-page-of-a-diagram/  To check I have printed to PDF succesfully with the cute writer an ancestors and descendents diagram admittedly it did not have photos attached can any one help please.

many thanks 

Michael

Mike Tate

Michael,

What is your setting on the Diagram > Options > Print tab for ‘Print lines, boxes & text in black & white’?

After using Diagram > Save Diagram As > PDF File (.pdf)… you must click OK three times.

(1) ‘Save as PDF File’ dialogue with ‘Adjust PDF File Page Size so Diagram fits on One Page’ selected

(2) ‘Printer’ dialogue for ‘Family Historian PDF’

(3) ‘Family Historian PDF – Save PDF File As’ dialogue top left

Assuming your living people have the Living Flag set then change each Item in Text Scheme to depend on Flag Condition Record Flag: Living.

Mike Tate

michaellee508@...

Many thanks one and all for your help the prints tab was the answer, I will explore the text schemes and will probably need some help. I find when I use the nova printer it appears to be still working [the little ring is still showing and circling] but the save page has come up and it will accept a save as, is that normal.

Many thanks

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Lorna Craig via groups.io
Sent: 22 February 2021 11:40
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Diagrams and PDF printing

Look at the Diagram Options > Print tab.  There is a tick box there to ‘Print tree lines, boxes and text in black-and-white only’.  By default this is not ticked, but perhaps you have ticked that option at some time in the past?

To hide the details of living people in a diagram you will need to clone your usual text scheme and make all the lines other than the name conditional on the existence of a Living flag.   Ask again if you need assistance with that.

Lorna

Sent: 22 February 2021 10:09

many thanks 

Michael

Mike Tate

Michael,

As I stated, there are several dialogues involved in printing with the Family Historian PDF (Nova printer).

It would help us solve your issues quicker if you gave the names in the top left corner of the window for each dialogue (as I did).

I don’t recognise your description of a ‘save page’ or where it will accept a ‘save as’.

Mike Tate

michaellee508@...

Mike

I went Diagrams >save Diagrams as>PDFfile

Save as PDF file>print using family Historian Nova Printer

Little box with Family Historian printing on the top comes up with the little ring circling showing that it is in action

Then the window Family Historian PDF opens up with Save PDF file as

I hit the save as and all seems to work but I had been waiting for the circle to stop and on a number of times previously it had said not responding.

In going through this exercise to write it down I find that the Diagram seems to revert to Black & White  in the print tab of the Diagrams program.

I am using v7 and going to the charts icon>More diagrams >  All relatives flat generational colouring. For the chart.

I can get around it now it does not stop but thought it was not as it should be.

Many thanks for all your help

Michael

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike Tate
Sent: 22 February 2021 12:29

Michael,

As I stated, there are several dialogues involved in printing with the Family Historian PDF (Nova printer).

It would help us solve your issues quicker if you gave the names in the top left corner of the window for each dialogue (as I did).

I don’t recognise your description of a ‘save page’ or where it will accept a ‘save as’.

Mike Tate

Mike Tate

Yes, the ‘Family Historian’ – Printing window will continue with a busy blue ring and (Not Responding) until you click OK in the ‘Family Historian PDF – Save PDF File As’ window.

After altering the Options > Print tab black-and-white setting did you click ‘Set as defaults…’ bottom left?

If not then it will keep coming back with black-and-white enabled.

Strangely, that diagram and all other More Diagrams… have that black-and-white setting enabled by default.

That is the opposite of the usual default for Diagrams and particularly odd since they are ‘colourful’ Diagrams.

I suggest you report that anomaly to Calico Pie via the ticket system:

http://www.calico-pie.com/osticket/open.php

Mike Tate

michaellee508@...

Thanks for that information I will follow up the printing with calico pie

Kind regards

Michael

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike Tate
Sent: 22 February 2021 14:51

Yes, the ‘Family Historian’ – Printing window will continue with a busy blue ring and (Not Responding) until you click OK in the ‘Family Historian PDF – Save PDF File As’ window.

After altering the Options > Print tab black-and-white setting did you click ‘Set as defaults…’ bottom left?

If not then it will keep coming back with black-and-white enabled.

Strangely, that diagram and all other More Diagrams… have that black-and-white setting enabled by default.

That is the opposite of the usual default for Diagrams and particularly odd since they are ‘colourful’ Diagrams.

I suggest you report that anomaly to Calico Pie via the ticket system:

http://www.calico-pie.com/osticket/open.php

Mike Tate