Data Transfer

Nev Ramsden

I have a number of ancient Family Historian Gedcoms, all pre 1837 info, made when I was not too careful about where I entered the the birth dates using mainly birth entry box for the actual baptism.

There must some method within FH that will facilitate this data transfer – ie born date to baptism date?

I have looked at the search & replace plug-in but cannot see a way that this could help

Thank you,  Nev.Ramsden

David Nicoll

Following Nev’s question on shifting Birth dates to Baptisms…

I’ve been similarly relaxed about storing Baptism dates as birth dates pre-1837 as whether you’re using Family Historian or one of the online systems, that’s the easiest way to get a “birth” date displaying on the screen.

What would be really helpful to know is how to set up FH so that if there is no Birth date stored for an individual but there is a Baptism date for them, diagrams (or reports for that matter) display a Baptism date where the Birth date would normally display, preferebly with the ability to put some text against it like an asterisk so that you can quickly see that it’s Baptism not Birth.

With this facility, at least in FH the temptation to be relaxed on this would go!

I assume that someone has solved this somewhere if someone could point me in the right direction pls!

Thanks

David

Mike Tate

Nev,

I think what you requesting is to convert Birth Events into Baptism Events retaining the Date, Place, Citations, etc.

The plugin to do that is Change Any Fact Tag operating on the desired set of Individual records.

If every Individual record in the GEDCOM needs correcting then just run the plugin.

If only some Individual records need converting then create a Named List of all the pre-1837 Individual records that need correcting.

Then run the plugin and Pick that subset by choosing the Name List.

Is that clear enough or do you need more detailed step by step instructions?

Mike Tate

Nev Ramsden

Mike,

Thank you. That sounds exactly like what I need. Now downloaded.
If you hear nothing further then you have another satisfied customer:

Nev

I think what you requesting is to convert Birth Events into Baptism Events retaining the Date, Place, Citations, etc.

The plugin to do that is Change Any Fact Tag operating on the desired set of Individual records.

If every Individual record in the GEDCOM needs correcting then just run the plugin.

If only some Individual records need converting then create a Named List of all the pre-1837 Individual records that need correcting.

Then run the plugin and Pick that subset by choosing the Name List.

Is that clear enough or do you need more detailed step by step instructions?

David,

What you request is already implemented in the FH v6.2.7 or later.

The default Diagram Text Scheme called Birth, Marr, Death does show the Baptism details if no Birth details, and similarly for Burial if no Death details.

However, if the Birth (or Death) event has a Place defined then that is displayed and the Baptism Date is inhibited.

With a little customisation, the Text Scheme can display whatever you want, including Christening and Cremation if required.

Reports usually include all facts, so all of Birth, Baptism, Christening, Death, Burial and Cremation will get reported.

The life dates usually shown in round brackets such as (1759-1835) will use Baptism/Christening or Burial/Cremation dates if Birth or Death dates are not available but with appropriate prefixes.

In the Focus Window, the best available dates are shown from Birth, Baptism, Christening, Death, Burial and Cremation.

Which of the above are you unfamiliar with and need further guidance?

Mike Tate

Nev Ramsden

Mike,

Thanks for the extra info – I will have to study it to ensure understanding
but
I have already used the plugin recommended on my 5 old gedcoms and they are now converted as required!
Thanks,  Nev.

[...]

Brian Horridge

David

To make sure life dates are displayed if I only have a baptism I set the Birth date as "before" the baptism date.  This method similarly works if you only have a burial date - set the death as "before".  If I'm feeling especially virtuous, I also use one of my generic source titled "Assumed from Baptism"

By creating a "before" date the standard reports / trees etc work OK.

Brian

On 17/05/2021 10:37, David Nicoll wrote:

[...]

Brian,

Where are life dates not displayed if you only have a baptism date or a burial date?

Mike Tate

Brian Horridge

Mike

I cannot remember exactly now - it may have been in an early version of FH (I see that Ver 5 & 6 now show something so apologies for possibly misleading people using the latest versions).

The other area I did have problems with was in Queries where I'd used the specific Birth / Death field in a query row to filter out earlier or later dates.  I know I could have added extra Rows to cover baptism / burials but it made the query a bit more cumbersome.

The other point about adding a "before" Birth date is that if you send a Gedcom to someone who uses another programme or online tree, just a Baptism date may not get handled properly.

Brian

On 17/05/2021 13:52, Mike Tate wrote:

Brian,

Where are life dates not displayed if you only have a baptism date or a burial date?

Brian,

The solution to the Query filter is to use the =EstimatedBirthDate() and =EstimatedDeathDate() functions.

They use the Birth and Death Date if they exist, or substitute Baptism/Christening or Burial/Cremation Dates, or failing that an estimated date based on close relatives’ dates, so you nearly always get something to filter on.

I believe most other products now take Baptism/Christening and Burial/Cremation dates into account just like FH.

Mike

David Nicoll

Thanks very much Mike

I have recently started using v7 and spent lots of time on a previous version which was definitely before 6.2.7 so I had no idea that the system had this feature.

I will give it a go and see how it works so may well be fine without further guidance.

Thanks for the help!

David Nicoll

[...]

UK kris

In my case I use ancestral sources so I’m auto entering baptism info then if need be I enter just the year (obviously could  be out) in the birth field.

Kristeen Simpkin