Creating a duplicate project

James Pam

I want to create a duplicate project that will identify private individuals. In that way I will be able to upload the file to my website sure that all living members will be excluded.

At present I just have the one project with living members flagged as ‘private’ but this limits the way I can use diagrams as living members are excluded.

So how do I create a duplicate second project which includes media?

I think I go to the project window / right click my project / select copy project.... Could you guide me from this point. I assume I will then be able to rename my duplicate project calling it something like ‘Project Private.’ I also assume that I can then go back to my original project and delete the private flags for living members.

Paul Tanner-Tremaine

That sounds like a dangerous thing to do - you will have to maintain 2 projects, and could get confused between the two!

How about creating a new flag and calling it say, Dontexportme.  Set that flag for all the people you do not want to publish on the website, and clear the living and/or private flags in the gedcom file.
Write a query to show you all those who have the Dontexportme flag as set, to check that you have the right ones to be excluded.
If ok, then save the project.  Go to the documents=>Family Historian Projects=>your project=> .fhdata folder.
make a copy of the gedcom by Ctrl-C Ctrl-V and give the copy a new name
Double click that newname gedcom to load it into memory.
Use the Split tree helper and 'delete everyone found by the query' that you wrote.  Export this newname gedcom to your website.
Repeat the make a copy and use split tree helper process again, next time you want to export.
I do this process just about every 2 weeks!

Mike Tate

James,

That process is a well-travelled path that is fully documented with various options in the FHUG Knowledge Base.

See https://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=how_to:exporting_gedcom_with_multimedia

Especially under the Export to Website Without Sensitive Data section.

What type of website are you using? Is a Family Tree on Ancestry or FindMyPast, or something else that may need a different technique?

Regards, Mike Tate

I want to create a duplicate project that will identify private individuals. In that way I will be able to upload the file to my website sure that all living members will be excluded.

At present I just have the one project with living members flagged as ‘private’ but this limits the way I can use diagrams as living members are excluded.

So how do I create a duplicate second project which includes media?

I think I go to the project window / right click my project / select copy project.... Could you guide me from this point. I assume I will then be able to rename my duplicate project calling it something like ‘Project Private.’ I also assume that I can then go back to my original project and delete the private flags for living members.

Paul,

I advise against manipulating the GEDCOM file inside your Project.

There are much safer ways of producing a GEDCOM as explained in the FHUG Knowledge Base:

https://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=how_to:exporting_gedcom_with_multimedia

i.e. Use File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File to obtain a standalone GEDCOM file on which to run Split Tree Helper.

Also use the Export Gedcom File Plugin to customise the GEDCOM for the target website product.

Regards, Mike Tate

[...]

Mike,

When I began using Family Historian in about 2006, way before the days of 'Projects' and 'Export Plugins' and the Knowledge Base, I was advised then by someone on a mailing list or user group, to never use Split Tree Helper on your 'master' gedcom, but on a copy of that gedcom, just in case it went pear shaped.  Hence the copy and paste, rename, and load the copy.  It has worked for me for years.  I do now use the Export Plugin on that copy, to do the conversion export to TNG.

Keep well

Paul

James Pam

Mike I use ‘Freethought’ web hosting. I upload my GEDCOM using fh/publish/create a website facility. Providing I identify all living members of my project as ‘private’ that works very well and my website excludes all reference to living members.

However, within my project, although I can access all data on living members in the focus window, if  I want to create a  descendants diagram including living members the ‘private’ flag excludes all information bar the names of living members.

There are times when I want to send a relative a diagram of their immediate family which includes all the information I have about living members. The only way I can see I can do that is by temporarily removing the private flag. Am I missing a trick? I suspect I am.

James

Jane Taubman

James, just save your current text scheme as a new name.

Then select another scheme or remove the line conditions for the flag on a copy of your normal scheme.

On reports simply go into options and change the privacy settings for the report.

On Wed, 29 Apr 2020 at 10:34, James Pam <jamespam1@...> wrote:

Mike I use ‘Freethought’ web hosting. I upload my GEDCOM using fh/publish/create a website facility. Providing I identify all living members of my project as ‘private’ that works very well and my website excludes all reference to living members.

However, within my project, although I can access all data on living members in the focus window, if  I want to create a  descendants diagram including living members the ‘private’ flag excludes all information bar the names of living members.

There are times when I want to send a relative a diagram of their immediate family which includes all the information I have about living members. The only way I can see I can do that is by temporarily removing the private flag. Am I missing a trick? I suspect I am.

James

Mike Tate

Even back in 2006 (or at least soon after) FH V3 had a File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File command.

I advise you use that, as explained in the FHUG Knowledge Base, rather than copy the Project GEDCOM file.

Anyway, if you copy the default FH V6 GEDCOM file it uses Unicode UTF-16 encoding that is not recognised by many other products.

Whereas, the Export > GEDCOM File command defaults to UTF-8 encoding that is recognised by most products.

However, that difference is hidden if you subsequently use the Export Gedcom File Plugin as it alters the encoding as necessary for the target product.

It is correct that it is usually unwise to use the Split Tree Helper on your master Project, but in the Export > GEDCOM File scenario it is being run on the exported GEDCOM not the Project.

Regards, Mike Tate