Create, or edit, reports

Laércio Silva Filho

Hello all,

As I approach the viable end of (one of my family branches) inventory, I need to organize the data and prepare a book for publishing. After testing and analyzing all the report options of my FH7, I came to the conclusion that I need to adapt some things. Some examples:

a) Change the descendant narratives' syntax for something more compact like that: Laércio SILVA FILHO (+22/05/1978, Santa Maria, RS, Brasil). Civil Engineer. F. Laércio SILVA. M. Maria das Graças GUERRANTE. Married Flávia MORAES (07/09/2009, Brasília, DF, Brasil).
b) Include the suffixes in all names.
c) Organize the report layout in two columns.

Does can any of these things be done?

Thanks in advance!

Laércio SILVA FILHO

Victor Markham

If you use the narrative report and save it as a word document you can edit all the details to suit your needs

Victor

On 14 Apr 2022, at 07:42, laerciomovel@... wrote:

Hello all,

As I approach the viable end of (one of my family branches) inventory, I need to organize the data and prepare a book for publishing. After testing and analyzing all the report options of my FH7, I came to the conclusion that I need to adapt some things. Some examples:

a) Change the descendant narratives' syntax for something more compact like that: Laércio SILVA FILHO (+22/05/1978, Santa Maria, RS, Brasil). Civil Engineer. F. Laércio SILVA. M. Maria das Graças GUERRANTE. Married Flávia MORAES (07/09/2009, Brasília, DF, Brasil).
b) Include the suffixes in all names.
c) Organize the report layout in two columns.

Does can any of these things be done?

Thanks in advance!

Laércio SILVA FILHO

Mike Tate

Hello Laércio,

Please provide a few more details regarding your requirements.

a) You can fully define the text produced by each fact. Use the Tools > Fact Types… command, select any fact, and click the Edit… button.

The Sentence Template can be changed to produce more compact text in most cases.

e.g.

Occupation facts to show just the occupation could use just {value}.

Marriage facts could use just Married {spouse/her/him} ({date:ABBREV3}, {_place})

b) What exactly do you mean by ‘suffixes’?

Do you mean the Name Suffix: field shown in the Names & Titles dialogue?

There are various Data References with Qualifiers that can display name details.

e.g.

Instead of {individual} use {%CUR_PRIN.NAME:ADORNED_FULL%} to include all name components.

Instead of {spouse/her/him} use {%CUR_PRIN2.NAME:ADORNED_FULL%}

c) Please explain what you mean by report layout in two columns.

Do you mean like newspaper columns where the text runs down the lefthand column and then continues in the righthand column before flowing onto the next page?

That is not possible with FH options.

You will have to Save Report As > Word-Processor Document (.RTF) and try using a word-processor but I suspect even that will not be successful.

These are quite advanced features of FH, so if you need more advice about the details of such changes then please ask again.

Mike Tate

As I approach the viable end of (one of my family branches) inventory, I need to organize the data and prepare a book for publishing. After testing and analyzing all the report options of my FH7, I came to the conclusion that I need to adapt some things. Some examples:

a) Change the descendant narratives' syntax for something more compact like that: Laércio SILVA FILHO (+22/05/1978, Santa Maria, RS, Brasil). Civil Engineer. F. Laércio SILVA. M. Maria das Graças GUERRANTE. Married Flávia MORAES (07/09/2009, Brasília, DF, Brasil).
b) Include the suffixes in all names.
c) Organize the report layout in two columns.

Does can any of these things be done?

Thanks in advance!

Laércio SILVA FILHO

Laércio Silva Filho

Hello, Mike,

Thanks for the attentive and accurate answer. You've got exactly what I meant.

I've been experimenting with the syntax offered in the "Fact types" option. Some of my goals were fully achieved. However, I realize that the narrative strictly follows a chronological order of events, which is reasonable. However, I would like to invert the narrative presentation to something like this:

Raimundo BORGES LEAL Neto, (n. 12/01/1896, Picos, +05/05/1970, Brejo Novo). Son of Simão BORGES LEAL and Francelina MARIA DE JESUS...

and so on.

Is it possible to do this inversion?

And about the suffixes, I achieved to make them appear sometimes, but not everywhere.

Best regards,

Laércio Silva Filho

Laércio Silva Filho

Hello, Victor,

That's a good idea, but I'm working with almost three thousand people!

Laércio SILVA FILHO

Mike Tate

I guess you want to change the first sentence:

Raimundo BORGES LEAL Neto, son of Simão BORGES LEAL and Francelina MARIA DE JESUS, (n. 12/01/1896, Picos, +05/05/1970, Brejo Novo).

and swap the parents with the (birth & death) details like this:

Raimundo BORGES LEAL Neto, (n. 12/01/1896, Picos, +05/05/1970, Brejo Novo). Son of Simão BORGES LEAL and Francelina MARIA DE JESUS.

Unfortunately, that first sentence is built into FH and cannot be changed by editing the Sentence Templates or any other way I can think of.

Regarding name suffixes, the most reliable solution would be to move the Name Suffix field text to the end of the Primary Name field after the surname.

e.g.

Primary Name: Raimundo /Borges Leal/

Name Suffix: Neto

becomes

Primary Name: Raimundo /Borges Leal/ Neto

Name Suffix:

That change can easily be performed by a plugin that I could create for you.

Mike Tate