Create GEDCOM without living persons (except self)

Helen at Darlington

I wish to create a GEDCOM without living persons, to upload to MyHeritage. I understand I can use a Flag, so my first question is:
  • Is the process of putting persons on a 'living' or 'private' record flag automated, or do I need to seek out each record?
I have installed the 'Clean Living Persons' plugin which works on GEDCOMS. My second question is:
  • In what order do I do the various stages of making this GEDCOM? Is it flagging of records first, then GEDCOM creation, then tweaking with the Plugin?

Mike Tate

Hi Helen,

I suspect you don’t really want to create a GEDCOM without any living person’s records.

If you did that then there would probably be several disjointed unrelated family branches, because there would be no living people to connect them together.

That is why the 'Clean Living Persons' plugin desensitises living person records rather than delete them completely.

It is not essential to have Living or Private flags because the plugin can use actual or estimated birth and death dates instead.

However, there is a Query to help find living people and add the Living flag.

See FHUG Knowledge Base https://fhug.org.uk/kb/download/flag-living-3/

There are two methods:

1) Use the File > Project Window > More Tasks > Copy Project option to create a temporary duplicate Project.

You may wish to use the File > Split Tree Helper… command to delete unwanted records, facts, etc.

Run the 'Clean Living Persons' plugin in the Project ignoring the warning message.

Run the ‘Export Gedcom File’ plugin with the destination set for My Heritage and migrate the resulting GEDCOM and Media to My Heritage.

2) Use the File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File… command to create a standalone GEDCOM but still referring to original Media.

You may wish to use the File > Split Tree Helper… command to delete unwanted records, facts, etc.

Run the 'Clean Living Persons' plugin on that standalone GEDCOM file.

Run the ‘Export Gedcom File’ plugin with the destination set for My Heritage and migrate the resulting GEDCOM and Media to My Heritage.

See the FHUG Knowledge Base ‘Exporting a Family Tree with/without Media’ for advice:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/exporting-a-family-tree-with-without-media/

Mike Tate

I wish to create a GEDCOM without living persons, to upload to MyHeritage. I understand I can use a Flag, so my first question is:

  • Is the process of putting persons on a 'living' or 'private' record flag automated, or do I need to seek out each record?

I have installed the 'Clean Living Persons' plugin which works on GEDCOMS. My second question is:

  • In what order do I do the various stages of making this GEDCOM? Is it flagging of records first, then GEDCOM creation, then tweaking with the Plugin?

Helen at Darlington

Thank you, Mike. When I previously put my tree on MyHeritage (the out-of-date one I now want to replace), I imported it via their site. No media arrived in the tree, and, upon asking them, I was told that the system cannot accept media in a GEDCOM. I imported the whole tree, then manually deleted the living - but missed a few! It was smaller then.

I previously used the genealogy Wiki WeRelate which absolutely bans living people, and their deceased partners, from its database, and I still consider that to be the ideal. In that system, you naturally wouldn't put deceased descendants of living people on either, since doing so would be an infringement of the privacy of the living - and also because they would, yes, be detached. WeRelate's volunteers actually go around deleting records of any living people they find! All rather morbid!

Mike Tate

Helen, it is true that the direct import of GEDCOM to the MyHeritage website does not support Media.

However, their free Family Tree Builder does import GEDCOM with Media and then synchronises both with the website.

See the ‘Export Gedcom File’ plugin Help & Advice at:

https://pluginstore.family-historian.co.uk/page/help/export-gedcom-file-myh-myheritage-family-tree-builder

If you delete the records of all living people (such as yourself and your spouse) then you may get fragmented trees.

e.g. Without you and your spouse, your own ancestors and your spouse’s ancestors will form two unrelated trees.

If each living person’s name, dates, and facts are erased then the trees stay related but the people are anonymous.

Websites such as Ancestry, FindMyPast, and MyHeritage automatically ‘privatize’ living people.

The MyHeritage strategy is explained in:

https://faq.myheritage.com/en/article/how-do-i-privatize-living-relatives-in-my-family-tree

Mike Tate