Copy family files to a new computer

Terry Thomley <14tbandt@...>

I'm sure this question has been asked multiple times but I have not been able to transfer my data from an older Windows 10 machine to a newer Windows 11 machine. I have been able to install the Family Historian program, but now I need to know how to import or transfer my actual family tree files. I have Version 7 and can open it just fine. I just need help in knowing how to transfer the actual data. Thank you. Terry

Jenny Cochrane

I have just got a new Windows 11 computer and have had no problems. I installed FH on the new PC , copied my FH project folder to a separate hard drive then from there to the new PC.

For full disclosure, I copied the whole of the Documents folder from the old PC, (my FH Projects are within the documents hierarchy) then pasted it into Documents on the new PC. It worked perfectly. The existing file structure was retained and all the media links came across.

Where exactly are you hitting a problem?

Jenny

On Wednesday, 21 September 2022 at 07:42:36 BST, Terry Thomley <14tbandt@...> wrote:

I'm sure this question has been asked multiple times but I have not been able to transfer my data from an older Windows 10 machine to a newer Windows 11 machine. I have been able to install the Family Historian program, but now I need to know how to import or transfer my actual family tree files. I have Version 7 and can open it just fine. I just need help in knowing how to transfer the actual data. Thank you. Terry

John Elvin

There's comprehensive guidance (including copying across all settings) on the user group knowledge base.

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/family-historian-copy-and-migration-guide/