copy fact definitions

Edward Sneithe

I have been working on modifying sentences to read better (to me anyway). I have changed the basic sentence for an individual by editing a fact and then in the sentence box changed the sentence. I have also created roles and their sentences.

These are standard facts Birth Baptism, Death, Burial, Probate, Will. These new sentences work well in this environment.

How do I get the fact sentences and role sentences into the standard fact definitions?

It will be tedious if I must edit all the facts individually and also their roles

Lorna Craig

You need to use Tools>Fact Types, then select the fact and click Edit.  You can change the main sentence template there. Then click on the Roles button to select each role in turn to edit it.

On 15/08/2021 19:42, Edward Sneithe via groups.io wrote:
I have been working on modifying sentences to read better (to me anyway). I have changed the basic sentence for an individual by editing a fact and then in the sentence box changed the sentence. I have also created roles and their sentences.

These are standard facts Birth Baptism, Death, Burial, Probate, Will. These new sentences work well in this environment.

How do I get the fact sentences and role sentences into the standard fact definitions?

Mike Tate

Full details are in the FHUG KB Narrative Report Fact Sentence Templates:
https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/narrative-report-fact-sentence-templates/

After setting the global default sentences remember to reset the specific ones you just modified.

Mike Tate

Edward Sneithe

Mike,

I was probably unclear as to what I have done. I created a test project and modified the specific sentences and roles for one individual. The standard birth fact is untouched and everything I have done relates only to that one person and fact.

Now I want to make those changes for the basic fact type in a different project.''I tried Exporting a fact set and then importing it but my changes were not present. I have probably made an error.

Edward Sneithe

Lorna, I was hoping for an automated way but I guess the old cut and paste will work.

On Sunday, August 15, 2021, 04:58:25 PM EDT, Edward Sneithe via groups.io <truthfor16@...> wrote:

Mike,

I was probably unclear as to what I have done. I created a test project and modified the specific sentences and roles for one individual. The standard birth fact is untouched and everything I have done relates only to that one person and fact.

Now I want to make those changes for the basic fact type in a different project.''I tried Exporting a fact set and then importing it but my changes were not present. I have probably made an error.

Mike Tate

You were perfectly clear about what you had done. Those modifications only affect one specific fact at a time.

As Lorna said and as the ‘Report Fact Sentence Templates’ advice I referred to says:

To make those changes global you must use the Tools > Fact Types… dialogue and Edit each Fact to change its Sentence Template.

There is no need to export/import such changes because just like most customisations they apply to all Projects.

You can copy the Template from the specific fact Sentence box and paste it into the Fact Types… Sentence Template box.

Just check that it works correctly for all variants of that Fact Type for the person’s Sex, Date, Age, Place, Address, Note, etc.

Mike Tate