From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Stella Phillips
Sent: 10 January 2021 16:53
To: Family Historian group <family-historian@groups.io>
Subject: [family-historian] Citations in version 7

I'm just starting to come to grips with version 7. I have a problem citing births marriages & deaths. Previously I had a set of
generic type sources eg. Scotland. Civil Records. Births; Scotland. Civil Records. Deaths etc. The where within source was the
Parish, County, year, parish no. record no. E.g. Death of William Inglis in 1887 was cited as Scotland. Civil Records. Deaths. Mid
Calder, Midlothian. 1887
694 42 & this is how it appeared in the list of sources in any reports.
Now what I'm getting is Death certicate of William Inglis. I don't find this at all useful! I've looked at the help screens &
there doesn't seem to be any way to get what I want. Is there any way round this? I had a similar group of sources for English
records & a couple of other places where I have a lot of people. I'm using the Essentials list - I didn't feel up to tackling the
source templates. Any advice will be very much appreciated

Stella Phillips

Lorna Craig

Stella, if you are seeing 'Death certificate of William Inglis' in the list of Source citations I think you must have used the template for Civil Registration Certificate.   If you just want to record the index reference you need to use the template for Civil Registration Index  to create a templated equivalent of your generic Civil registration index, then you can add the Mid Calder, Midlothian, 1887 694 42 details in the citation for that.  Alternatively, as Paul has said, you can continue to use your existing generic source.

On 10/01/2021 16:52, Stella Phillips wrote:
Now what I'm getting is Death certicate of William Inglis.

Stella Phillips

Thank you for your advice. I've got all my Scottish ones in order now. Still to tackle the others

Stella

On 10-01-2021 17:15, Paul Tanner-Tremaine wrote:
Stella, you should still have all your generic sources if you upgraded
from v6 to v7, and can use them as you used to before.
I have not touched any of the Templated Source/Citation sources at
all. What I do is when I find a GRO source, etc, I add the citation
to a Generic Source and fill in all the fields as I used to.
To make it easier on myself, I modified the layout of the generic
source via the cog wheel, so that the Text from Source and Notes all
showed on the one open generic source/citation screen.
The Essentials and other collections are good guidelines if you are
totally new to FH, and have the time to explore them all.
_._,_._,_
-------------------------

Stella Phillips

Thank you. I've had a look at the source templates, but I don't think I want to even try!

Stella

On 10-01-2021 17:52, Mike Tate wrote:
Until you have thoroughly understood the Source Template concepts they
should be avoided.
Stick with your generic Sources, which will need significant
conversion if you plan to adopt Source Templates.
See the advice in the FHUG Knowledge Base ~ Sources and Citations in
Version 7 (for Upgraders).
https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/working-with-sources-and-citations-in-version-7/
Mike Tate