Chart defaults

fh@...

I laboriously set up icons for each UK census to appear on an Everyone chart (Boxes/add condition), and carefully clicked through the 'Set as defaults' dialogue.
Closed chart. On opening an Everyone chart next time, no icons/no conditions. Having RTFMd, I now see that I should have "save[d] a configuration of the Diagram Window as a new diagram type, by clicking on Save Diagram As… on the File menu, and then selecting Custom Diagram Type."  And later opened that saved chart if I wanted Everyone with census icons.

But.  But I would like the same icons/conditions, etc., to apply on other charts (say, all relatives, Ancestors, etc.). Do I have to go through the whole setup for each  type of chart I wish to use?

Is there no way of saving a global set of conditions or preferences for charts?

And, as an aside, when is a Saved Chart a Custom Diagram, or vice versa?

Ian

Neil Grantham

Ian,

Yes you can do this.

I have followed others advice, when in a diagram, go to Diagram>Options>Boxes

I have a condition for each Census with an expression such as:

=IsTrue(%INDI.CENS[year=1841].SOUR>_TYPE% = "Census")

From 1841 to 1921 and also 1939

For each condition, select it then click on 'Edit Features', tick the 'Icon' box and select an appropriate icon - I use the built in ones (I think they are built in?) that look like baggage tags with a number on, so for 1841 it is 41 etc

These will show on all Diagrams you open

Best Wishes

Neil.

------ Original Message ------
To: family-historian@groups.io
Sent: Monday, 21 Mar, 2022 At 16:25
Subject: [family-historian] Chart defaults

I laboriously set up icons for each UK census to appear on an Everyone chart (Boxes/add condition), and carefully clicked through the 'Set as defaults' dialogue.
Closed chart. On opening an Everyone chart next time, no icons/no conditions. Having RTFMd, I now see that I should have "save[d] a configuration of the Diagram Window as a new diagram type, by clicking on Save Diagram As… on the File menu, and then selecting Custom Diagram Type." And later opened that saved chart if I wanted Everyone with census icons.

But. But I would like the same icons/conditions, etc., to apply on other charts (say, all relatives, Ancestors, etc.). Do I have to go through the whole setup for each type of chart I wish to use?

Ian

--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow, Birchall.

Mike Tate

Hi Ian,

Sorry, but the answer is a bit long-winded.

BTW: It helps us if you tell us which FH version you are using. I suspect FH V6?

In general, the Diagram > Save Diagram As… > Custom Diagram Type… command is necessary for each style of Diagram.

There are no global settings except for the core Diagrams as explained below.

However, the core Diagrams: Ancestors, Descendants, Ancestors & Descendants, and All Relatives share the same settings.

So once you have customised the Boxes tab Conditions for one of those they are all customised the same way.

Custom Diagram Types essentially save just the Diagram > Options… settings and I think inserted boxes and pictures.

Family Historian Charts save everything: settings, inserted trees, boxes & pictures, tree root individuals/families, resized & repositioned boxes, etc.

However, these charts are not ‘frozen’ and if relevant new Individuals or new Facts are added to your Project then the chart will get updated.

Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of fh@...
Sent: 21 March 2022 16:25

Closed chart. On opening an Everyone chart next time, no icons/no conditions. Having RTFMd, I now see that I should have "save[d] a configuration of the Diagram Window as a new diagram type, by clicking on Save Diagram As… on the File menu, and then selecting Custom Diagram Type."  And later opened that saved chart if I wanted Everyone with census icons.

But.  But I would like the same icons/conditions, etc., to apply on other charts (say, all relatives, Ancestors, etc.). Do I have to go through the whole setup for each  type of chart I wish to use?

Ian

Mike Tate

Neil, it only works for you because you are using the four core Diagram styles:

Ancestors, Descendants, Ancestors & Descendants, and All Relatives.

I suspect the icons you are using are the Number Labels that are only built into FH V7.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Neil Grantham via groups.io
Sent: 21 March 2022 16:35
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Chart defaults

Ian,

Yes you can do this.

For each condition, select it then click on 'Edit Features', tick the 'Icon' box and select an appropriate icon - I use the built in ones (I think they are built in?) that look like baggage tags with a number on, so for 1841 it is 41 etc

Best Wishes

Neil.

Closed chart. On opening an Everyone chart next time, no icons/no conditions. Having RTFMd, I now see that I should have "save[d] a configuration of the Diagram Window as a new diagram type, by clicking on Save Diagram As… on the File menu, and then selecting Custom Diagram Type." And later opened that saved chart if I wanted Everyone with census icons.

But. But I would like the same icons/conditions, etc., to apply on other charts (say, all relatives, Ancestors, etc.). Do I have to go through the whole setup for each type of chart I wish to use?

Ian

--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7

fh@...

Mike
Thank you for the very helpful clarification - That will save a good bit of duplication!
Ian

Neil Grantham

Ah thanks Mike.

I only tend to use the standard charts

Best Wishes

Neil

Sent via BT Email App

Sent: Mar 21, 2022 at 4:59 PM
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Chart defaults

Neil, it only works for you because you are using the four core Diagram styles:

Ancestors, Descendants, Ancestors & Descendants, and All Relatives.

I suspect the icons you are using are the Number Labels that are only built into FH V7.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Neil Grantham via groups.io
Sent: 21 March 2022 16:35

Ian,

Yes you can do this.

Best Wishes

Neil.

Ian

--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7

--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7

fh@...

Oh, and it's V7. 
I don't use the =IsTrue(%INDI.CENS[year=1841].SOUR>_TYPE% = "Census") method - Flags are so much easier!
Ian

Mike Tate

It is still wise to save a Custom Diagram Type so that if the core Diagram settings get upset you can open the Custom Diagram Type and set that as the core defaults.

In addition, use the ‘Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings’ plugin that protects all your customisations.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of fh@...
Sent: 21 March 2022 17:24

Mike
Thank you for the very helpful clarification - That will save a good bit of duplication!
Ian

Mike Tate

I would argue that Flags are more of a nuisance because you must arrange to set the Flag as well as add the Census Event.

The expression technique is driven directly by the Census Event (and Source Citation) so Flags are totally unnecessary.

Just add the Census Event (and Source Citation) and the Icon appears on the Diagrams.

Sent: 21 March 2022 17:26

Oh, and it's V7. 
I don't use the =IsTrue(%INDI.CENS[year=1841].SOUR>_TYPE% = "Census") method - Flags are so much easier!
Ian