Changing Residence fact to Census

Randy Dykhuis

Up to now, I've been using the "Residence" fact whenever I've located someone in a census record. I would like to begin using the "Census" fact instead but am hesitant about changing in mid-stream without going back and changing the Individuals who have "Residence" set because they were found in a census. For example, Grandpa John is in the 1910 census and has that fact recorded under the Facts tab using the "Residence" attribute, as does every other family member recorded in the 1910 census.

I could do this Individual by Individual but that would be a lot of work & I'd need to determine if it's worth the time. But if there is an automated way to do, I would like to make this change.

As I see it these would be the steps:
Identify every individual with at least one "Residence" fact
Copy the source information for the fact
Create a new Census fact and paste in the source
Delete the residence fact record

Right now, 281 individuals have at least one residence record.

What do you more experienced users think? Worth the effort to switch or continue using the residence fact? It would be useful to know which individuals have appeared in census records.

Mike Tate

Hi Randy,

That is a recurrent requirement and there is an automated solution.

It is explained in the FHUG Forum posting Re: Lookup Missing Census Facts: Determining Factors

https://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14722#p75724

If all your Residence facts relate to Census events, and there are no other Residence facts at all, then one run of the Change Any Fact Tag Plugin will do the job.

Otherwise, you must run that Plugin with a Date filter for each Census date so only those Residence facts get converted, and repeat for each Census date every decade.

If anything is not clear then please ask.

It is well worth converting for the reasons given in the FHUG Knowledge Base for Recording from a Census Record:

https://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=how_to:recording_census_records

Regards, Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Randy Dykhuis
Sent: 01 May 2020 22:45
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Changing Residence fact to Census

Up to now, I've been using the "Residence" fact whenever I've located someone in a census record. I would like to begin using the "Census" fact instead but am hesitant about changing in mid-stream without going back and changing the Individuals who have "Residence" set because they were found in a census. For example, Grandpa John is in the 1910 census and has that fact recorded under the Facts tab using the "Residence" attribute, as does every other family member recorded in the 1910 census.

I could do this Individual by Individual but that would be a lot of work & I'd need to determine if it's worth the time. But if there is an automated way to do, I would like to make this change.

What do you more experienced users think? Worth the effort to switch or continue using the residence fact? It would be useful to know which individuals have appeared in census records.

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Geoffrey Knott

Hi,

Following on from this question, I've always considered a Census as a source, not an event; and by using the FH 'witness' facility I can record every person in the household in one go. I know some information about the witnesses is omitted, but this method allows me subsequently to see in the property box not only facts relating to the individual but also (in the sentence box) others in the household, whether or not known (at the time of recording) to be related. So if I later discover a relationship, I can easily change the witness entry from 'Name only' to 'Individual'. I can see advantages in using Ancestral Sources, and have tried it several times; but as far as I can see, there is no way to show names of fellow residents, and I always revert to my old method. Can anybody suggest a way of acheiving something similar using AS?

Geoff

On 02/05/2020 11:11, Mike Tate wrote:

Hi Randy,

It is explained in the FHUG Forum posting Re: Lookup Missing Census Facts: Determining Factors

If all your Residence facts relate to Census events, and there are no other Residence facts at all, then one run of the Change Any Fact Tag Plugin will do the job.

Otherwise, you must run that Plugin with a Date filter for each Census date so only those Residence facts get converted, and repeat for each Census date every decade.

It is well worth converting for the reasons given in the FHUG Knowledge Base for Recording from a Census Record:

Regards, Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Randy Dykhuis

Jenny Cochrane

Hi

If there are additional individuals or any other info you wish to record about a census entry on Ancestral Sources, you can type manually into the text box (I do this after auto fill) or in the notes field at the bottom. If you later discover this is a relative, you can just link them to the relevant census source.

I've done this a fair bit and it seems to work. I also do it to record unrelated individuals so that I have a complete picture of the household.

Jenny

On Saturday, 2 May 2020, 16:25:07 BST, Geoffrey Knott <geoff0knott@...> wrote:

Hi,

Following on from this question, I've always considered a Census as a source, not an event; and by using the FH 'witness' facility I can record every person in the household in one go. I know some information about the witnesses is omitted, but this method allows me subsequently to see in the property box not only facts relating to the individual but also (in the sentence box) others in the household, whether or not known (at the time of recording) to be related. So if I later discover a relationship, I can easily change the witness entry from 'Name only' to 'Individual'. I can see advantages in using Ancestral Sources, and have tried it several times; but as far as I can see, there is no way to show names of fellow residents, and I always revert to my old method. Can anybody suggest a way of acheiving something similar using AS?

Geoff

On 02/05/2020 11:11, Mike Tate wrote:

Hi Randy,

Regards, Mike Tate

Mike Tate

Yes, Census records are a Source but the act of taking the Census on a particular date is an Event.

In the same way, a Marriage record is a Source but the act of conducting the Marriage ceremony on a particular date is an Event.

Please remember to think of these in terms of genealogical concepts rather than their every day meaning.

There pros and cons to recording Census Events for each Individual versus only recording the Census Event for only the Head with Fact Witnesses for every other Individual.

See https://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=how_to:recording_census_records

The Sentence box listing of Witnesses is useful but elsewhere only works in Narrative Reports and no other Reports nor in Diagrams.

(It is rumoured this may be improved in FH V7.)

With the other method, a way of listing the whole household is to include their names in the Source record Note box.

e.g. Connor, Ellen & John Wallington

Then the Census fact definition Sentence Template could use something like < and the full household was {%FACT.SOUR>NOTE2%}>

One advantage of this technique is the list of names can take any form you like, including women’s married surnames.

That list of names can be added to the Note box when using Ancestral Sources.

A drawback is that the Individual in focus gets named twice.

A workaround for that is to put a subset of those names in the local Note box of each Census Event.

The Sentence Template could use something like < with {%FACT.NOTE2%}>

Regards, Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Geoffrey Knott
Sent: 02 May 2020 16:25
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Changing Residence fact to Census

Hi,

Geoff

Geoffrey Knott

Thanks, Mike.

I'll give AS another try.

Geoff

On 02/05/2020 18:05, Mike Tate wrote:

Yes, Census records are a Source but the act of taking the Census on a particular date is an Event.

In the same way, a Marriage record is a Source but the act of conducting the Marriage ceremony on a particular date is an Event.

Please remember to think of these in terms of genealogical concepts rather than their every day meaning.

There pros and cons to recording Census Events for each Individual versus only recording the Census Event for only the Head with Fact Witnesses for every other Individual.

See https://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=how_to:recording_census_records

The Sentence box listing of Witnesses is useful but elsewhere only works in Narrative Reports and no other Reports nor in Diagrams.

(It is rumoured this may be improved in FH V7.)

With the other method, a way of listing the whole household is to include their names in the Source record Note box.

e.g. Connor, Ellen & John Wallington

Then the Census fact definition Sentence Template could use something like < and the full household was {%FACT.SOUR>NOTE2%}>

One advantage of this technique is the list of names can take any form you like, including women’s married surnames.

That list of names can be added to the Note box when using Ancestral Sources.

A drawback is that the Individual in focus gets named twice.

A workaround for that is to put a subset of those names in the local Note box of each Census Event.

The Sentence Template could use something like < with {%FACT.NOTE2%}>

Regards, Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Geoffrey Knott
Sent: 02 May 2020 16:25

Hi,

Geoff

Adrian Bruce

I have many, many, Residence facts that have nothing to do with
censuses - Residence can be recorded in parish registers, on vital
certificates, immigration documents. Personally I always record *both*
census events and residence facts separately - even when one is
derived from the other. (I then don't normally bother to print Census
events in *reports* since the "genealogical" info is already present
elsewhere.)

Adrian

Randy Dykhuis

Thanks, Mike. Just what I needed. I have been experimenting now with Ancestral Sources after you pointed me in that direction. I'm wondering whether I can change the default title from "Census <date>" to "United States Federal Census <date>" and have that come up as the title when I enter data.

One more question: AS auto-calculates a birth year from census data, if there is no birth date in FH. The default is to give the year followed by "cal". Can this be changed? My standard practice has been to add "c." in front of the estimated date. Is there a way to set AS to create the estimate birth year in this way?

Thanks.

On Sat, May 2, 2020 at 6:11 AM Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Hi Randy,

Regards, Mike Tate

Mike Tate

Hi Randy,

I am not entirely sure which default title you are talking about.

Is it the Source Title shown top right of the AS main page?

The installed default for Method 1 shows the <year> with Refs, Name, etc, and for Method 2 shows Census USA <year>.

I advise against using Method 2  with a Title such as United States Federal Census <date> because with that configuration where will you attach the Census record Media image and save the transcript Text From Source?

The only option is the Citations, but that means replicating that data for every fact (Census, Occupation, Birth) that cites the Source, and complicates discovering members of the household. It can also lead to multiple entries in the Sources section of Reports if those Citations are not all identical.

Whereas if you use Method 1 there is a separate Source record to hold the Census record Media image and the transcript Text From Source conveniently in one place.

See the FHUG Knowledge Base ~ Recording from a Census Record:

There is also a lot more advice on the pros & cons of Method 1 versus Method 2 Sources in different scenarios.

Regarding the AS Birth year from Census, the Cal qualifier cannot be customised in AS, so you will have to alter that afterwards in FH to Circa.

Mike Tate

Sent: 04 May 2020 19:28

Thanks, Mike. Just what I needed. I have been experimenting now with Ancestral Sources after you pointed me in that direction. I'm wondering whether I can change the default title from "Census <date>" to "United States Federal Census <date>" and have that come up as the title when I enter data.

One more question: AS auto-calculates a birth year from census data, if there is no birth date in FH. The default is to give the year followed by "cal". Can this be changed? My standard practice has been to add "c." in front of the estimated date. Is there a way to set AS to create the estimate birth year in this way?

Thanks.

Lorna Craig

Randy, if you want to change the Title for a Method 1 Source, use the Ancestral sources Tools > Options, then select Census settings - method 1.  You can now edit the Title Template.  But remember this will apply to all census entries, so if you record any censuses other than US Federal censuses you will need to change that template.

Lorna

On 04/05/2020 20:31, Mike Tate wrote:

Hi Randy,

The installed default for Method 1 shows the <year> with Refs, Name, etc, and for Method 2 shows Census USA <year>.

I advise against using Method 2  with a Title such as United States Federal Census <date> because with that configuration where will you attach the Census record Media image and save the transcript Text From Source?

The only option is the Citations, but that means replicating that data for every fact (Census, Occupation, Birth) that cites the Source, and complicates discovering members of the household. It can also lead to multiple entries in the Sources section of Reports if those Citations are not all identical.

Whereas if you use Method 1 there is a separate Source record to hold the Census record Media image and the transcript Text From Source conveniently in one place.

There is also a lot more advice on the pros & cons of Method 1 versus Method 2 Sources in different scenarios.

Regarding the AS Birth year from Census, the Cal qualifier cannot be customised in AS, so you will have to alter that afterwards in FH to Circa.

Mike Tate

Thanks.

Randy Dykhuis

Hi, Mike. Below is a screenshot of what I see. The "Source:" field is grayed out and I cannot enter anything there. To the right is the drop down menu where I choose my country, year, and date. In this example, I've chosen the USA census from 1870 with date 1 Jun 1870. When I make those choices, the "Title" field is automatically filled with "Census 1870". When I enter the place for the census, I've been using the location where the census was taken. In this case, it was Fillmore Township, Allegan County, Michigan, USA. The place data is then automatically entered into the title.

image.png

After that I complete this screen by entering the data for the people who listed on this page. In this case, it's my great (x2) grandfather & his young family, plus a day laborer.

In the options, I have chosen Method 1.

After I save this data and go look at FH, I see a new source record with the name given in the "Title" field in AS. I assume the next time, I find an 1870 census record in Fillmore Township, I could reuse that same source. Is that true?

Thanks for your help.

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 3:31 PM Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Hi Randy,

Mike Tate

Thanks.

Mike Tate

OK, the greyed out Source title is for Method 2 only so ignore that.

The Title should be unique for each year, head of household, and place. The Source record created will never be reused. That is how Method 1 works.

Even if the Title happens to be the same, it will still create a new Source record every time, because it is the Record Id allocated by FH that makes it unique.

i.e. It is the same as if you create two Individual records with the same Name, they are distinguished by their unique Record Id.

Check the Tools > Options > Census settings – method 1 and review the Census Method 1 Title Template that determines the Title on main screen.

e.g.

USA Census {YEAR} {REF} {KEYPERSON.SN_GN.CAPS} {PLACE} {OTHER}

Will start the Title with USA Census then the {YEAR} (or you could choose {DATE}), then whatever is in the Ref ID box, then the 1st person in Grid, then the Place box, lastly the Other Info box.

You can design it to be whatever you prefer.

You also need to design the Census Image Title Template and optionally the Census Method 1 Short Title Template.

BTW: The same strategy applies to all the other types of data entry for Birth, Baptism, Marriage, death & Burial.

There are tutorials in the FHUG Knowledge Base for Ancestral Sources that you may find useful:

https://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=ancestralsources:index

Sent: 04 May 2020 22:15

Hi, Mike. Below is a screenshot of what I see. The "Source:" field is grayed out and I cannot enter anything there. To the right is the drop down menu where I choose my country, year, and date. In this example, I've chosen the USA census from 1870 with date 1 Jun 1870. When I make those choices, the "Title" field is automatically filled with "Census 1870". When I enter the place for the census, I've been using the location where the census was taken. In this case, it was Fillmore Township, Allegan County, Michigan, USA. The place data is then automatically entered into the title.

After that I complete this screen by entering the data for the people who listed on this page. In this case, it's my great (x2) grandfather & his young family, plus a day laborer.

After I save this data and go look at FH, I see a new source record with the name given in the "Title" field in AS. I assume the next time, I find an 1870 census record in Fillmore Township, I could reuse that same source. Is that true?

Thanks for your help.

Mike Tate

The Title should be unique for each year, head of household, and place. The Source record created will never be reused. That is how Method 1 works.

Even if the Title happens to be the same, it will still create a new Source record every time, because it is the Record Id allocated by FH that makes it unique.

i.e. It is the same as if you create two Individual records with the same Name, they are distinguished by their unique Record Id.

Check the Tools > Options > Census settings – method 1 and review the Census Method 1 Title Template that determines the Title on main screen.

e.g.

Will start the Title with USA Census then the {YEAR} (or you could choose {DATE}), then whatever is in the Ref ID box, then the 1st person in Grid, then the Place box, lastly the Other Info box.

You also need to design the Census Image Title Template and optionally the Census Method 1 Short Title Template.

BTW: The same strategy applies to all the other types of data entry for Birth, Baptism, Marriage, death & Burial.

There are tutorials in the FHUG Knowledge Base for Ancestral Sources that you may find useful:

Sent: 04 May 2020 22:15

Thanks for your help.

Mike Tate

Picking up on Lorna’s point about considering Census records from other countries, instead of USA Census you could use {COUNTRY} Census in the Templates to use the Country box chosen on the right.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike Tate
Sent: 05 May 2020 00:03

e.g.

Randy Dykhuis

Thanks so much to everyone who chimed in for your help. I'm still experimenting to see what works best for me but at least I now have some clue about what I'm doing. This is an amazing group.

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 5:21 AM Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Picking up on Lorna’s point about considering Census records from other countries, instead of USA Census you could use {COUNTRY} Census in the Templates to use the Country box chosen on the right.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike Tate
Sent: 05 May 2020 00:03

e.g.