Changing Residence fact to Census

Randy Dykhuis

Up to now, I've been using the "Residence" fact whenever I've located someone in a census record. I would like to begin using the "Census" fact instead but am hesitant about changing in mid-stream without going back and changing the Individuals who have "Residence" set because they were found in a census. For example, Grandpa John is in the 1910 census and has that fact recorded under the Facts tab using the "Residence" attribute, as does every other family member recorded in the 1910 census.

I could do this Individual by Individual but that would be a lot of work & I'd need to determine if it's worth the time. But if there is an automated way to do, I would like to make this change.

As I see it these would be the steps:
Identify every individual with at least one "Residence" fact
Copy the source information for the fact
Create a new Census fact and paste in the source
Delete the residence fact record

Right now, 281 individuals have at least one residence record.

What do you more experienced users think? Worth the effort to switch or continue using the residence fact? It would be useful to know which individuals have appeared in census records.

Mike Tate

Hi Randy,

That is a recurrent requirement and there is an automated solution.

It is explained in the FHUG Forum posting Re: Lookup Missing Census Facts: Determining Factors

https://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14722#p75724

If all your Residence facts relate to Census events, and there are no other Residence facts at all, then one run of the Change Any Fact Tag Plugin will do the job.

Otherwise, you must run that Plugin with a Date filter for each Census date so only those Residence facts get converted, and repeat for each Census date every decade.

If anything is not clear then please ask.

It is well worth converting for the reasons given in the FHUG Knowledge Base for Recording from a Census Record:

https://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=how_to:recording_census_records

Regards, Mike Tate

[...]

Geoffrey Knott

Hi,

Following on from this question, I've always considered a Census as a source, not an event; and by using the FH 'witness' facility I can record every person in the household in one go. I know some information about the witnesses is omitted, but this method allows me subsequently to see in the property box not only facts relating to the individual but also (in the sentence box) others in the household, whether or not known (at the time of recording) to be related. So if I later discover a relationship, I can easily change the witness entry from 'Name only' to 'Individual'. I can see advantages in using Ancestral Sources, and have tried it several times; but as far as I can see, there is no way to show names of fellow residents, and I always revert to my old method. Can anybody suggest a way of acheiving something similar using AS?

Geoff

On 02/05/2020 11:11, Mike Tate wrote:

[...]

Jenny Cochrane

Hi

If there are additional individuals or any other info you wish to record about a census entry on Ancestral Sources, you can type manually into the text box (I do this after auto fill) or in the notes field at the bottom. If you later discover this is a relative, you can just link them to the relevant census source.

I've done this a fair bit and it seems to work. I also do it to record unrelated individuals so that I have a complete picture of the household.

Jenny

On Saturday, 2 May 2020, 16:25:07 BST, Geoffrey Knott <geoff0knott@...> wrote:

[...]

Yes, Census records are a Source but the act of taking the Census on a particular date is an Event.

In the same way, a Marriage record is a Source but the act of conducting the Marriage ceremony on a particular date is an Event.

Please remember to think of these in terms of genealogical concepts rather than their every day meaning.

There pros and cons to recording Census Events for each Individual versus only recording the Census Event for only the Head with Fact Witnesses for every other Individual.

See https://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=how_to:recording_census_records

The Sentence box listing of Witnesses is useful but elsewhere only works in Narrative Reports and no other Reports nor in Diagrams.

(It is rumoured this may be improved in FH V7.)

With the other method, a way of listing the whole household is to include their names in the Source record Note box.

e.g. Connor, Ellen & John Wallington

Then the Census fact definition Sentence Template could use something like < and the full household was {%FACT.SOUR>NOTE2%}>

One advantage of this technique is the list of names can take any form you like, including women’s married surnames.

That list of names can be added to the Note box when using Ancestral Sources.

A drawback is that the Individual in focus gets named twice.

A workaround for that is to put a subset of those names in the local Note box of each Census Event.

The Sentence Template could use something like < with {%FACT.NOTE2%}>

Regards, Mike Tate

[...]

Thanks, Mike.

I'll give AS another try.

Geoff