From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of John
Sent: 31 December 2021 13:10
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Changing Lap-top

Hello,

I need some advice about moving my Family Historian system to a new lap-top. Unfortunately the old one is dying, and will soon be no more.

Obviously I have backed up my 2 projects onto a memory stick. I am still on the latest version 6.2, and I have my V6 Key. What do I do about the program itself, and its associated files etc.?

Mike Tate

The most crucial operation to perform is to run the ‘Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings’ plugin before your old laptop dies.

Otherwise, you will lose all your custom settings to Diagrams, Reports, Queries, Fact Sets, Plugins, Records Window Columns, etc.

Once that backup is on a memory stick together with your Projects you will survive.

David Burgess

Hi John

I back up my files and folders to an external hard drive.  When I need to transfer the files to a new computer/laptop I just drag the folders across from the external hard drive to the new destination.  All my media files are in the project media folder so are linked to the individuals.

Once loaded onto your laptop you just need to ensure the FH program can find the project.

Over the years I have had no problem in using this approach.  I use a desktop PC, but use a laptop from time to time when away from home.  I update the laptop from my external hard drive before I use it.

David Burgess

On 31/12/2021 13:09, John wrote:
Hello,

I need some advice about moving my Family Historian system to a new lap-top. Unfortunately the old one is dying, and will soon be no more.

Obviously I have backed up my 2 projects onto a memory stick. I am still on the latest version 6.2, and I have my V6 Key. What do I do about the program itself, and its associated files etc.?

Any help gratefully received. Thank you,

John Gunson
--
David Burgess

Victor Markham

All my files are on One Drive

On 31/12/2021 13:09, John wrote:
Hello,

I need some advice about moving my Family Historian system to a new lap-top. Unfortunately the old one is dying, and will soon be no more.

Obviously I have backed up my 2 projects onto a memory stick. I am still on the latest version 6.2, and I have my V6 Key. What do I do about the program itself, and its associated files etc.?

Any help gratefully received. Thank you,

John Gunson
--
David Burgess

Mike Tate

But does that include all your custom settings?

On 31/12/2021 13:09, John wrote:

Hello,

I need some advice about moving my Family Historian system to a new lap-top. Unfortunately the old one is dying, and will soon be no more.

Obviously I have backed up my 2 projects onto a memory stick. I am still on the latest version 6.2, and I have my V6 Key. What do I do about the program itself, and its associated files etc.?

Any help gratefully received. Thank you,

John Gunson

--
David Burgess

rsamoir@blueyonder.co.uk

I look at the queries and think that fhug would provide a better forum for most of them

Alastair Moir

On 31/12/2021 13:09, John wrote:

Hello,

I need some advice about moving my Family Historian system to a new lap-top. Unfortunately the old one is dying, and will soon be no more.

Obviously I have backed up my 2 projects onto a memory stick. I am still on the latest version 6.2, and I have my V6 Key. What do I do about the program itself, and its associated files etc.?

Any help gratefully received. Thank you,

John Gunson

--
David Burgess

Victor Markham

I believe so. My Family Historian Project file is under the One Drive folder

On 31/12/2021 13:09, John wrote:

Hello,

I need some advice about moving my Family Historian system to a new lap-top. Unfortunately the old one is dying, and will soon be no more.

Obviously I have backed up my 2 projects onto a memory stick. I am still on the latest version 6.2, and I have my V6 Key. What do I do about the program itself, and its associated files etc.?

Any help gratefully received. Thank you,

John Gunson

--

David Burgess

David Burgess

Hi Mike

Good question.  I don't customise FH much apart from adding standard events and these appear to migrate OK.

Regards

David Burgess

On 31/12/2021 13:09, John wrote:

Hello,

I need some advice about moving my Family Historian system to a new lap-top. Unfortunately the old one is dying, and will soon be no more.

Obviously I have backed up my 2 projects onto a memory stick. I am still on the latest version 6.2, and I have my V6 Key. What do I do about the program itself, and its associated files etc.?

Any help gratefully received. Thank you,

John Gunson

--
David Burgess
--
David Burgess

Mike Tate

Victor, the Family Historian Projects folder does NOT include many custom settings.

Most are in C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\ and the Windows Registry.

So I believe you are NOT preserving your custom settings.

I believe so. My Family Historian Project file is under the One Drive folder

On 31 Dec 2021, at 16:14, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

But does that include all your custom settings?

Alastair, I think you misunderstand what we mean by custom settings?