Changing Lap-top

John

Hello,

I need some advice about moving my Family Historian system to a new lap-top. Unfortunately the old one is dying, and will soon be no more.

Obviously I have backed up my 2 projects onto a memory stick. I am still on the latest version 6.2, and I have my V6 Key. What do I do about the program itself, and its associated files etc.?

Any help gratefully received. Thank you,

John Gunson

colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk

Have a look at Family Historian Copy and Migration Guide – Family Historian User Group (fhug.org.uk) which should cover everything – ask again if you have new questions once you’re reviewed that.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of John
Sent: 31 December 2021 13:10
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Changing Lap-top

Hello,

I need some advice about moving my Family Historian system to a new lap-top. Unfortunately the old one is dying, and will soon be no more.

Obviously I have backed up my 2 projects onto a memory stick. I am still on the latest version 6.2, and I have my V6 Key. What do I do about the program itself, and its associated files etc.?

Mike Tate

The most crucial operation to perform is to run the ‘Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings’ plugin before your old laptop dies.

Otherwise, you will lose all your custom settings to Diagrams, Reports, Queries, Fact Sets, Plugins, Records Window Columns, etc.

Once that backup is on a memory stick together with your Projects you will survive.

David Burgess

Hi John

I back up my files and folders to an external hard drive.  When I need to transfer the files to a new computer/laptop I just drag the folders across from the external hard drive to the new destination.  All my media files are in the project media folder so are linked to the individuals.

Once loaded onto your laptop you just need to ensure the FH program can find the project.

Over the years I have had no problem in using this approach.  I use a desktop PC, but use a laptop from time to time when away from home.  I update the laptop from my external hard drive before I use it.

David Burgess

On 31/12/2021 13:09, John wrote:
Hello,

John Gunson
-- 
David Burgess

Victor Markham

All my files are on One Drive

On 31 Dec 2021, at 16:03, "David Burgess via groups.io" <btinternet.com@groups.io target=_blank>david.burgess42=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi John

I back up my files and folders to an external hard drive.  When I need to transfer the files to a new computer/laptop I just drag the folders across from the external hard drive to the new destination.  All my media files are in the project media folder so are linked to the individuals.

Once loaded onto your laptop you just need to ensure the FH program can find the project.

Over the years I have had no problem in using this approach.  I use a desktop PC, but use a laptop from time to time when away from home.  I update the laptop from my external hard drive before I use it.

David Burgess

Hello,

John Gunson
--
David Burgess

Mike Tate

But does that include all your custom settings?

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Victor Markham via groups.io
Sent: 31 December 2021 16:08
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Changing Lap-top

On 31 Dec 2021, at 16:03, "David Burgess via groups.io" <btinternet.com@groups.io target=_blank>david.burgess42=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi John

David Burgess

Hello,

John Gunson

--
David Burgess

rsamoir@blueyonder.co.uk

I look at the queries and think that fhug would provide a better forum for most of them

Alastair Moir

On 31 Dec 2021, at 16:14, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Victor Markham via groups.io

Hi John

David Burgess

Hello,

John Gunson

--
David Burgess

Victor Markham

I believe so. My Family Historian Project file is under the One Drive folder

Hi John

David Burgess

Hello,

John Gunson

--

David Burgess

David Burgess

Hi Mike

Good question.  I don't customise FH much apart from adding standard events and these appear to migrate OK.

Regards

David Burgess

On 31/12/2021 16:13, Mike Tate wrote:

Hi John

David Burgess

Hello,

John Gunson

--
David Burgess
-- 
David Burgess

Mike Tate

Victor, the Family Historian Projects folder does NOT include many custom settings.

Most are in C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\ and the Windows Registry.

So I believe you are NOT preserving your custom settings.

Sent: 31 December 2021 16:28

Mike Tate

Alastair, I think you misunderstand what we mean by custom settings?

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of rsamoir@... via groups.io
Sent: 31 December 2021 16:22

I look at the queries and think that fhug would provide a better forum for most of them

Alastair Moir

Mike Tate

David, I’m not sure what you mean by adding standard events.

You don’t need to add any standard events as they are already defined in Tools > Fact Types…

Perhaps you mean you have added custom events via Tools > Fact Types… and the New… button.

Those custom events may appear in the Property Box Facts tab OK.

However, their definitions for Sentences Templates, Normal Time Frame, Witness Roles, etc, will all be missing.

So several features will not behave in the same way on your laptop as on your desktop PC.

Narrative Reports in particular, will probably contain ‘strange’ sentences.

That may not matter for temporary use away from home, but become significant for a permanent migration.

It is exactly those custom Fact Set definitions that are NOT usually included in the Project data files.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of David Burgess via groups.io
Sent: 31 December 2021 16:31

Hi Mike

Good question.  I don't customise FH much apart from adding standard events and these appear to migrate OK.

Regards

David Burgess

On 31/12/2021 16:13, Mike Tate wrote:

Hi John

David Burgess

Victor Markham

Mike

In that case I have never done ant custom settings have never accessed the link you gave

Victor

On 31/12/2021 4:45 pm, Mike Tate wrote:

Victor, the Family Historian Projects folder does NOT include many custom settings.

Most are in C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\ and the Windows Registry.

Neil Grantham

Victor.

It is a hidden folder so you would likely never access it, but it will be there as part of the default install process.

Best Wishes

Neil

Sent via BT Email App

Sent: Dec 31, 2021 at 5:53 PM
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Changing Lap-top

Mike

In that case I have never done ant custom settings have never accessed the link you gave

Victor

--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow, Birchall.

Mike Tate

Victor, you don’t directly access that folder or the registry but that is where FH saves most of its settings.

Do you use Tools > Preferences, Diagram > Options, Report > Options, create custom Queries, run Plugins, customise Facts, etc, etc.

All those custom settings are saved automatically by FH in C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\ or the Windows Registry.

In the same way that FH saves your database changes in the GEDCOM file without you ever needing to access the project folder.

So I say again, I believe you are NOT preserving your custom settings.

Ignore my warning at your own risk.

Sent: 31 December 2021 17:53

Mike

Victor

AlexH

What an exceptionally timely subject as this is exactly what I have been doing.

Using the 'Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings' and reading the Family Historian Copy and Migration Guide (https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/family-historian-copy-and-migration-guide/) made everything a doddle and totally painless.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone and a Happy New Year to one and all.

Many thanks

Sue

On Fri, 31 Dec 2021 at 15:58, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

The most crucial operation to perform is to run the ‘Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings’ plugin before your old laptop dies.

Otherwise, you will lose all your custom settings to Diagrams, Reports, Queries, Fact Sets, Plugins, Records Window Columns, etc.

Once that backup is on a memory stick together with your Projects you will survive.

Cathy Roberts

Indeed an exceptionally timely reminder - & one of which I am gratefully reminded every 1st of the month by this

Virus-free. www.avast.com

On Sat, 1 Jan 2022 at 16:04, AlexH <ssiss166@...> wrote:
What an exceptionally timely subject as this is exactly what I have been doing.

Using the 'Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings' and reading the Family Historian Copy and Migration Guide (https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/family-historian-copy-and-migration-guide/) made everything a doddle and totally painless.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone and a Happy New Year to one and all.

Many thanks

Sue

On Fri, 31 Dec 2021 at 15:58, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Victor Markham

Mike

Sorry for late reply I have been away

This is what I see when I prompt Prefeences, Diagrams I don't see any other details you have listed under Diagrams like

Diagram > Options, Report > Options, create custom Queries, run Plugins, customise Facts, etc, etc

Mine hs alays been like this from when I first started FH

Victor

On 31/12/2021 6:22 pm, Mike Tate wrote:

Victor, you don’t directly access that folder or the registry but that is where FH saves most of its settings.

Do you use Tools > Preferences, Diagram > Options, Report > Options, create custom Queries, run Plugins, customise Facts, etc, etc.

All those custom settings are saved automatically by FH in C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\ or the Windows Registry.

In the same way that FH saves your database changes in the GEDCOM file without you ever needing to access the project folder.

So I say again, I believe you are NOT preserving your custom settings.

Ignore my warning at your own risk.

Sent: 31 December 2021 17:53

Mike

Victor

Mike Tate

Victor, you misunderstand what I am talking about, so let me list the settings in more detail.

The Tools > Preferences… command has 20 sections. Have you ever changed anything in any of those sections?

When a Diagram is displayed the Diagram > Options… command has several tabs and settings. Have you changed any?

Have you used the Diagram > Save Diagram As > Custom Diagram Type option?

Have you added any custom Icons to the set of Diagram Box Icons?

When a Report is displayed the Report > Options… command has several tabs and settings. Have you changed any?

Have you used the Save Report As > Custom Report Type option?

Have you used the Tools > Fact Types… command to modify or add or import any fact definitions?

In the Records Window or Named Lists have you added any custom Columns?

In the Property Box have you used the Customize Property Box… option?

Have you run any custom Queries? Have you run any Plugins?

Have you adjusted the size or position of any of FH floating windows?

If you have answered ‘Yes’ to any of the above then you have custom settings that need backing up.

They are NOT saved in Project Backups.

Sent: 02 January 2022 22:26

Mike

Sorry for late reply I have been away

This is what I see when I prompt Prefeences, Diagrams I don't see any other details you have listed under Diagrams like

Diagram > Options, Report > Options, create custom Queries, run Plugins, customise Facts, etc, etc

Mine hs alays been like this from when I first started FH

Victor