Changing directory for saved projects

mikepowell1949 <private@...>

Hi all
just joined the group happy to meet you.  Can anybody suggest how to change the location of saved files.  Currently they are under /documents/, however I would like to save them on my OneDrive so they get constantly backed up.... Any ideas welcome

kind regards

colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk

Move your projects to the location you choose within OneDrive, and then within FH use File > Profect Window... > More Tasks... > Project List > Choose Location for Projects...

There’s some advice wotrh reading at Synchronising Family Historian between 2 PCs – Family Historian User Group (fhug.org.uk) about using OneDrive with FH.

Paul Gaskell

Hi Mike

There was a discussion about putting projects into the cloud a couple of weeks’ ago. The group archives are at :-

family-historian@groups.io | Home

https://groups.io/g/family-historian

If you review the February and March 2022 messages - accessed by clicking in the hyperlinked 98 and 74 at the bottom of the page - you might find something that is helpful.

Best wishes.

Paul

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of mikepowell1949
Sent: 13 March 2022 17:34
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Changing directory for saved projects

Hi all
just joined the group happy to meet you.  Can anybody suggest how to change the location of saved files.  Currently they are under /documents/, however I would like to save them on my OneDrive so they get constantly backed up.... Any ideas welcome

kind regards

mikepowell1949 <private@...>

Hi Paul et al, thanks for your v. quick response appreciated.  I must admit I jumped a little too quickly as I was able to solve my dilemma.  I now have the files stored on my local OneDrive, which saves to my cloud account.  My better half working on the same tree can open the same files from her local OneDrive, and we're all synced up.  I haven't yet seen any "update conflicts" so wait and see.  Now I'm a grandmaster at the cloud stuff if anybody else wants any help just let me know....

David Bicket

My experience using OneDrive for FH file storage was that it frequently caused FH to freeze for multiple seconds while the file was being synchronized in the background.  I found this too disruptive.  It would be interesting to know if you manage to avoid that.  Perhaps it depends on file size – I have a bit less than 10k individuals.  For fallback purposes, you can put your backup copy directory on OneDrive, because that doesn’t have to synchronized except once for each backup copy saved.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of mikepowell1949
Sent: 14 March 2022 09:46
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Changing directory for saved projects

Hi Paul et al, thanks for your v. quick response appreciated.  I must admit I jumped a little too quickly as I was able to solve my dilemma.  I now have the files stored on my local OneDrive, which saves to my cloud account.  My better half working on the same tree can open the same files from her local OneDrive, and we're all synced up.  I haven't yet seen any "update conflicts" so wait and see.  Now I'm a grandmaster at the cloud stuff if anybody else wants any help just let me know....

Mike Tate

One important point is that only one person must use FH at any one time.

That is crucial to ensure OneDrive sync is maintained correctly.

Also, assuming you have only bought one FH licence, its terms restrict use to one person at a time.

OneDrive only syncs one file at a time. i.e. the GEDCOM file when it is saved or a Media file when changed.

Even a 10K Project GEDCOM file is not very large so probably something else is causing multi-second delays.

Could some other utility be interfering or if connected by WiFi is it suffering interference?

Mike Tate

Nick Walker (Ancestral Sources)

By default, OneDrive only downloads files when you open them ('on demand'). So if you suddenly run a report or similar in Family Historian that displays a number of images it may take a while for them to download the first time. So, unless you are short on disk space, it's a good idea to right-click on the Family Historian project folder in Windows File Explorer and choose the Always Keep On This Device option so that all of the files in all the sub-folders will then be automatically downloaded onto your computer. This may take a little time initially but then after this it will only download/upload files that change and you should find Family Historian runs just as quick as it would with any other locations on the computer. 

Best wishes

Nick

On 14/03/2022 10:56 Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Also, assuming you have only bought one FH licence, its terms restrict use to one person at a time.

OneDrive only syncs one file at a time. i.e. the GEDCOM file when it is saved or a Media file when changed.

Even a 10K Project GEDCOM file is not very large so probably something else is causing multi-second delays.

Could some other utility be interfering or if connected by WiFi is it suffering interference?

Mike Tate

Mike Tate

Also, if the FH folder is set to ‘Files On-demand’ and your PC has no Internet connection then your Projects may not exist on disk so cannot be opened.

That option can also be found via the bottom right OneDrive cloud icon Settings and its Settings tab.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Nick Walker (Ancestral Sources)
Sent: 14 March 2022 16:23
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Changing directory for saved projects

By default, OneDrive only downloads files when you open them ('on demand'). So if you suddenly run a report or similar in Family Historian that displays a number of images it may take a while for them to download the first time. So, unless you are short on disk space, it's a good idea to right-click on the Family Historian project folder in Windows File Explorer and choose the Always Keep On This Device option so that all of the files in all the sub-folders will then be automatically downloaded onto your computer. This may take a little time initially but then after this it will only download/upload files that change and you should find Family Historian runs just as quick as it would with any other locations on the computer. 

Best wishes

Nick

On 14/03/2022 10:56 Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Mike Tate