Census downloads

Howard Phillips

All my previous census images have been scanned in and
I have used AS to enter into FH.
Now I've downloaded some and they are in my download folder.
Question?
To enter using AS into FH should they be......
1.left in that folder and linked or
2.copied into the folder with the other scanned images and linked or
3.copied into a new folder and linked?
The existing folder has sub folders for b, m & d certs and 41,51 census etc.
Your advise and comments will be very welcombe.

Regards.......H

Neil Grantham

In AS (i'm using 7.2.1), when you select the image for use in the Image viewer, set your preferences, then click Save, you get a dialogue were you are asked if you want to use the default media folder, or chose your own.

Best Wishes

Neil.

--
Neil Grantham
-------------------

Victor Markham

I always leave mine in the folder it is not doing any harm and is there if anything went wrong with FH

On 26 Feb 2021, at 15:05, "h.phillips4 via groups.io" <ntlworld.com@groups.io target=_blank>h.phillips4=ntlworld.com@groups.io> wrote:
All my previous census images have been scanned in and
I have used AS to enter into FH.
Now I've downloaded some and they are in my download folder.
Question?
To enter using AS into FH should they be......
1.left in that folder and linked or
2.copied into the folder with the other scanned images and linked or
3.copied into a new folder and linked?
The existing folder has sub folders for b, m & d certs and 41,51 census etc.
Your advise and comments will be very welcombe.

Regards.......H

Mike Tate

It does not matter where the image starts and all options are feasible. What matters is where it ends up.

Both AS and FH allow the image to be anywhere and have the option to copy it into the Project internal Media folder.

It is important to know that only images that are copied into the Project internal Media folder are included in FH Project Backups.

If images are left linked externally to the Project then you must use other methods to back them up.

They may also cause problems when you migrate the Project to a new PC, which will happen sooner or later.

Mike Tate

Neil Grantham

Hi Mike

Does the backup include subfolders of the Media folder or just the Media folder. I would assume the former?

I use

Media (just for pictures of people)

>Census

>Birth

>Death

>Marriage

etc. where those with > are sub folders

Best Wishes

Neil.

It does not matter where the image starts and all options are feasible. What matters is where it ends up.

Both AS and FH allow the image to be anywhere and have the option to copy it into the Project internal Media folder.

It is important to know that only images that are copied into the Project internal Media folder are included in FH Project Backups.

If images are left linked externally to the Project then you must use other methods to back them up.

They may also cause problems when you migrate the Project to a new PC, which will happen sooner or later.

Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7

FH Project (Medium & Full) Backups include all subfolders of the Project .fh_data folder so the answer is ‘Yes, the former’.

Does the backup include subfolders of the Media folder or just the Media folder. I would assume the former?

I use

Media (just for pictures of people)

>Census

>Birth

>Death

>Marriage

etc. where those with > are sub folders

Best Wishes

Neil.

It does not matter where the image starts and all options are feasible. What matters is where it ends up.

Both AS and FH allow the image to be anywhere and have the option to copy it into the Project internal Media folder.

It is important to know that only images that are copied into the Project internal Media folder are included in FH Project Backups.

If images are left linked externally to the Project then you must use other methods to back them up.

They may also cause problems when you migrate the Project to a new PC, which will happen sooner or later.

Neil Grantham
Using FH 7 & AS 7

Howard Phillips

Thank you for all the replies. I can now push ahead with all
I want to do.