Calculate Birth date from age at death

Karin Schuette Weiss

I am using FH Ver 7.0.8.2.

I am wanting to calculate a birth date.  I have the death date and
the exact age at death - 48 years 2 months 28 days.  I think I need
to use the age data entry assistant to do this, but I cannot figure out
how.

Thank you

Karin Schuette Weiss

Mike Tate

I think you are referring to the Age Entry Assistant Dialog associated with the Age box of every fact.
That will help you enter the exact Age into the Death event but it does NOT help with calculating the Date of Birth.
You will have to figure that out yourself by subtracting the years, months and days from the Date of Death.

Karin Schuette Weiss

Mike -

Yes, it was the Age Entry Assistant.  A little sad it doesn't help with
what I wanted.

It is the first time in a while I really missed TMG - they had an age
calculator that did just what I wanted.

So I tried framing a question online and found a Tombstone
Birthday Calculator.  It did just what I wanted.

You are right that I could figure it myself, but I like having an easy way
(and a way to check if my brain works).  The calculation I had done
myself was  correct.

On 9/16/2021 2:09 PM, Mike Tate wrote:
I think you are referring to the Age Entry Assistant Dialog associated with the Age box of every fact.
That will help you enter the exact Age into the Death event but it does NOT help with calculating the Date of Birth.
You will have to figure that out yourself by subtracting the years, months and days from the Date of Death.

Paul Tanner-Tremaine

I have a simple date calculator on my website free to use at https://www.1820settlers.com/genealogy/settlercalculator.php

Mike Tate

Karin,
It was a bit more complex than I expected but the attached custom Query 'Birth Date from Age at Death' calculates Date of Birth from Death Date and Age.

So after entering the Death event Date and Age, run the Query to discover the calculated Birth Date.

MichaelM

There are a number of date calculators online, for example https://www.calendar-12.com/date_add_days

Michael

16 September 2021 at 21:13
I am using FH Ver 7.0.8.2.

I am wanting to calculate a birth date.  I have the death date and
the exact age at death - 48 years 2 months 28 days.  I think I need
to use the age data entry assistant to do this, but I cannot figure out
how.

Thank you

Karin Schuette Weiss

Lorna Craig

I'd like to just add a word of caution about calculating a birth date from a precise age at death.    The fact that the sated age at death is precise (to the day) doesn't mean it is accurate! There are two possible causes of error:

1. The deceased, and their relatives, usually knew their birthday (day and month of the year) but sometimes got the year wrong and thought they were older or younger than they were.  I have seen at least two cases where the age at death had been recorded in years, months and days but although the months and days were right the number of years was wrong!

2. The person who recorded the age at death had to do the reverse of your calculation: they started with the birth date (or what they believed to be the birth date) and calculated the age from that.  They might have made a mistake in their calculation, and they probably didn't have the benefit of an online calculator!

Just bear in mind that precision is not the same as accuracy!

Lorna

Karin Schuette Weiss

Paul - Thank you.  Just tried this and got the same date as I
did from the one I found online.  I like yours especially as it
can go either backward or forward.  I have it bookmarked.

Karin Schuette Weiss

On 9/17/2021 2:12 AM, Paul Tanner-Tremaine wrote:
I have a simple date calculator on my website free to use at https://www.1820settlers.com/genealogy/settlercalculator.php

Karin Schuette Weiss

Thank you.  Have now tried (and bookmarked) this one also.
Answer was the same.

Karin Schuette Weiss

On 9/16/2021 2:13 PM, MichaelM wrote:
There are a number of date calculators online, for example https://www.calendar-12.com/date_add_days

Michael

16 September 2021 at 21:13
I am using FH Ver 7.0.8.2.

I am wanting to calculate a birth date.  I have the death date and
the exact age at death - 48 years 2 months 28 days.  I think I need
to use the age data entry assistant to do this, but I cannot figure out
how.

Thank you

Karin Schuette Weiss

Karin Schuette Weiss

Lorna -

I agree with you one hundred percent.

But in the absence of a birth date, if you are given a date of
death and age at death - use it.  Then when I enter the resulting
date of birth, also note how I got that.

Having several date calculators come up with the same date - I
see that as a good thing, since it is not a simple calculation, as months
have different numbers of days and there are also leap years to
consider.  Boggles my mind.  But when several calculators come up
with the same date, I am hopeful they have some algorithm to handle
all that.

And of course your second reason to be skeptical is so right.   And these
are the same people who report years differently census to census, etc.
There is no reason to think that those death ages are always right or
even close.  Just some times it is all there is.

Karin Schuette Weiss

On 9/17/2021 7:11 AM, Lorna Craig via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Adrian Bruce

On Fri, 17 Sept 2021 at 20:10, Karin Schuette Weiss
<karinsw@frontier.com> wrote:
it is not a simple calculation, as months
have different numbers of days and there are also leap years to
consider. Boggles my mind. ...
Mine too - if you think about it, two people might both be (say) 20
years and 5 months old, but one might be days *older* than the other
because *their* 5 months had more 31 day months in it than the other
person's!! And that's not even thinking about leap years....

So I try to ignore ages written in years, months and days!

Adrian

Karin Schuette Weiss

Thank you Mike.

On 9/17/2021 3:01 AM, Mike Tate wrote:
Karin,
It was a bit more complex than I expected but the attached custom Query 'Birth Date from Age at Death' calculates Date of Birth from Death Date and Age.

So after entering the Death event Date and Age, run the Query to discover the calculated Birth Date.

Mike Tate

I've just double-checked my custom Query 'Birth Date from Age at Death' against the online calculators and found a mistake.

The corrected plugin is attached.

So after entering the Death event Date and Age, run the Query to discover the calculated Birth Date.

Karin Schuette Weiss

Very nice Mike.  I like having this available right in the program.

Also, in order to use it, I first had to figure out how to enter the
exact age.  I am continually impressed with the fact that once I
figure out how to use something, Family Historian is amazing.

As are all you folks who so quickly provide answers to questions.
Thanks to all.

Karin Schuette Weiss

On 9/17/2021 1:49 PM, Mike Tate wrote:
I've just double-checked my custom Query 'Birth Date from Age at Death' against the online calculators and found a mistake.

The corrected plugin is attached.

So after entering the Death event Date and Age, run the Query to discover the calculated Birth Date.

Mike Tate

Karin,
I'm surprised you "had to figure out how to enter the exact age" as in your original posting you had already identified "the Age Entry Assistant Dialog associated with the Age box".

In the FHUG Forum, I have posted a development of the Query that calculates the earliest and latest Birth Date from any facts that have both Date & Age.
See 'Calculate Birth date from date & age in other facts' to download the 'Birth Date Calculator' Query at:
https://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=19820

Bill Heaney

I was interested to read this as "48 years 2 months 28 days" notations are common on USA registrations but not so much in UK. I am researching for a program to commit to and doing my research so shocked Family Historian does not have such a built in calculator, shocked as it appears to be one of the more professional packages and I have seen built in calculators in cheaper software which accept End Date as "48y, 2m, 28d" and calculate the start date and I have used this a lot.

I would say this is a common user need, especially for USA records, so is it on the development list for Family Historian or how do I find out.

Software wise I just want to carefully choose a package that is speedy to use and help me rather than needing a lot of asides and time consuming workarounds.

Thank you in advance

rsamoir@...

I agree. Deaths are recorded by someone who may not too closely related and, ladies in particular, might have taken a year or two off their age at marriage and subsequent ly. A relative of mine had two years of birth, I think to allow him to enlist a year early, and without a birth registration document very difficult to be sure.

Mike Tate

Bill,

Did you see my reply on Tuesday, Sep 18th that linked to https://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=19820 where there is Query to Calculate Birth date from date & age in any other facts.

Mike Tate