Buying FH Version 6

Brian Horridge

Hello

Is it still possible to by FH Version 6.  I believe it's still possible to download a 30-day trial copy of Ver 6 but it does not appear that you could then buy a full Version 6 licence after the 30 days.

The reason for buying Version 6 is that I am using my Ver 6 to do some research for a friend who is a complete beginner and wants to buy the same software as I am using to  do the work for him (and I can help him in his early learning days).

As I am using Ver 6 and, with the structural changes to the Gedcom format between Ver 6 and Ver 7, it would be better if we are both using the same version.  I understand that if he sent me a Ver 7 file I could not open it in Ver 6 (unless he sent me an "exported" Gedcom rather than the native FH7 Gedcom file).  At this stage I'm not intending to upgrade my software to Ver 7.

Does FH7 have a specific "export to FH6" option??  If there is only a generic "export to Gedcom", would any of the FH custom attributes / features be lost.

Many thanks

Brian

Trevor Rix

Yes, FH v6 is still available to purchase.

https://www.twrcomputing.co.uk/acatalog/Family-Historian-V5-Full-Retail-Box-CPFH6.html#SID=17

Brian Horridge

I checked My History before I posted my question and, although Ver 6 is listed on the website, it also says "out of stock" (and is also unavailable on Amazon).

Brian

On 15/05/2021 08:12, Trevor Rix wrote:

Yes, FH v6 is still available to purchase.

https://www.twrcomputing.co.uk/acatalog/Family-Historian-V5-Full-Retail-Box-CPFH6.html#SID=17

Brian,

FH v7 does have an option in its Export > GEDCOM File… command to choose Destination: Family Historian 6 or earlier.

That allows the GEDCOM file to be understood by FH v6 although there are some residual FH v7 ‘features’.

The Export Gedcom File plugin has a GEDCOM Export Mode: (FH6) Family Historian V6.2 that does a more complete conversion.

You may also have some issues exchanging certain customisation files whose format has changed slightly.

I suspect, sooner or later, you will upgrade to FH v7 but perhaps avoid some of its new features.

However, there are some features that I’m sure you will embrace.

If your friend bought FH v6 now, when you upgraded, your friend would have to fork out for the FH v7 upgrade too.

Mike Tate

Brian Horridge

Mike

Thanks for the information.  My reluctance to upgrade to Ver 7 is primarily because I never like to be the first with any software and, no matter how much beta-testing is done, there are always bugs that appear as soon as it is used for real.  I normally wait till after the 2nd or 3rd bug-fix update.

Again, thanks

Brian

On 15/05/2021 10:08, Mike Tate wrote:

Brian,

FH v7 does have an option in its Export > GEDCOM File… command to choose Destination: Family Historian 6 or earlier.

That allows the GEDCOM file to be understood by FH v6 although there are some residual FH v7 ‘features’.

The Export Gedcom File plugin has a GEDCOM Export Mode: (FH6) Family Historian V6.2 that does a more complete conversion.

You may also have some issues exchanging certain customisation files whose format has changed slightly.

I suspect, sooner or later, you will upgrade to FH v7 but perhaps avoid some of its new features.

However, there are some features that I’m sure you will embrace.

If your friend bought FH v6 now, when you upgraded, your friend would have to fork out for the FH v7 upgrade too.

Brian, I sympathise with that approach and usually adopt the same strategy but forced to upgrade to FH v7 to support my plugins.

However, I have only recently taken the plunge to update my master Project to FH v7 format (I have FH v6 still running on another PC).

You may be approaching the point of satisfying your 2nd or 3rd bug-fix criteria.

FH v7.0.1 was released in January, followed by v7.0.2, v7.0.3, v7.0.4 and now v7.0.5.

Mike

Lorna Craig

Brian, as Mike has said there have already been several minor updates to fix bugs.  So if you do upgrade you will certainly not be ‘the first’ with the software.

The main consideration is whether you (or your friend) are likely to want to use many of the new features, and whether you want to spend time learning them.  However if your friend has to buy V7 you will need to learn about it anyway, in order to help him.

It is a major upgrade, but many long-term users of FH have decided to ignore some of the new features (particularly templated sources and Data Entry Assistants) and by customising some of the displays they find they can continue to work in much the same way as they did with V6.   There is some information about that in the FHUG Knowledge Base here: https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/customising-v7-to-use-v6-style-sources/

Lorna