Backup Problems

Kathleen Wilson

Dear List

At the moment I am running Family Historian 6.2.7, but hoping for Father Christmas to upgrade me to V7.

When doing a full backup I am getting two error messages as follows:

1.        Unable to open file “C:\Users\CaptainK\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Dawson Family\Public\Descendants of Thomas Bean.pdf” for backup.  Skip this file to continue.

2.        Unable to open file “C:\Users\CaptainK\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Dawson Family\Public\Relatives of Kathleen Dawson.pdf” for backup.  Skip this file to continue.

I have skipped the backing up of these files, but don’t want any bugs or anything in the system when I upgrade.  When going to View, Saved Charts, there are no saved charts with those titles.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Kathleen Wilson

Isle of Man

Mike Tate

Kathleen,

Those files are not Saved Charts.

They are PDF Diagram files you have saved in the Public folder.

Those two PDF files are open in a PDF viewer such as Adobe Acrobat Reader.

One is a Descendants Diagram for Thomas Bean and the other an All Relatives Diagram for Kathleen Dawson.

If you find which application has those two PDF files open and close them then the Backups will complete OK.

However, since they are only saved Diagrams they can easily be recreated.

Mike Tate

At the moment I am running Family Historian 6.2.7, but hoping for Father Christmas to upgrade me to V7.

When doing a full backup I am getting two error messages as follows:

  1.  Unable to open file “C:\Users\CaptainK\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Dawson Family\Public\Descendants of Thomas Bean.pdf” for backup.  Skip this file to continue.

  1.  Unable to open file “C:\Users\CaptainK\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Dawson Family\Public\Relatives of Kathleen Dawson.pdf” for backup.  Skip this file to continue.

I have skipped the backing up of these files, but don’t want any bugs or anything in the system when I upgrade.  When going to View, Saved Charts, there are no saved charts with those titles.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Kathleen Wilson

Isle of Man

Kathleen Wilson

Mike

Thank you for your advice.  For some reason (can’t remember what) I had saved copies in my documents family information folder.  I have deleted both files from there and also the Public folder in Family Historian and everything backed up OK.  What i can’t understand is that All relatives diagram was created in 2014 and the Thomas Bean one in 2020 and I have backed up regularly since then without problem until recently.  However as backup seems to be working OK, as you say, I can recreate them easily.

Many Thanks

Kathleen

[...]

The problem is nothing to do with how long ago those two PDF files were created.

It is entirely to do with their current open/closed status during the Backup.

If another program application has them open while the Backup is running then that Backup cannot access them.

Presumably, you did not have them open in a PDF reader.

Another possibility is that a cloud store app such as OneDrive or Google Drive or some other auto-backup has temporarily locked those two PDF files open.

It is not clear if you only got those two error messages once or if you repeated the Backup and still got them.

If only once then I suspect trying the Backup again would have worked.

Thank you for your advice.  For some reason (can’t remember what) I had saved copies in my documents family information folder.  I have deleted both files from there and also the Public folder in Family Historian and everything backed up OK.  What i can’t understand is that All relatives diagram was created in 2014 and the Thomas Bean one in 2020 and I have backed up regularly since then without problem until recently.  However as backup seems to be working OK, as you say, I can recreate them easily.

Many Thanks

Kathleen

Kathleen Wilson

Hi Mike

I had repeated occasions when it would not backup without the error message coming up.

As far as I can see the files were not open, I cannot remember when I last opened them.  However following your first email I did open and close them both in Adobe Acrobat and also from the list in my documents.  It still would not run a backup without the error messages.  After having done one of the open and close exercises I rebooted my computer but it still would not run a normal backup.

It was only after I had deleted them from Adobe Acrobat and the list in my documents that a full backup was successful without any error messages.  I have since done three full backups and they have been successful.

I have One Drive on my computer but have never used it.

All seems well now and thanks for the help you have given me.

Kathleen