Backup and restore plugin

Rhoda A Murray

I am in the process of copying my FH project to my new laptop and have received  the message on my laptop:

“Destination Path Too Long

Copying 2948 items from ESD-USB (D) to Public

Interrupted – 98% complete”

I have attached a screenshot.

Can you help?

Thank you

Sent from Mail for Windows

mikepowell1949 <private@...>

You need to rename the file to something shorter, if that fails go up one level to the directory and rename that.  It's a windows issue

Mike Tate

Sorry about that Rhoda.

Can you please provide some more details about what command you are actually using.

What is the full folder path involved in the copying process?

The screenshot does not show any ‘Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings’ plugin details.

Which plugin are you using?

What plugin version are you using?

What FH Version are you using?

What Windows version are you using?

Are you following the FHUG Knowledge Base ‘Family Historian Copy and Migration Guide’:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/family-historian-copy-and-migration-guide/

Mike Tate

I am in the process of copying my FH project to my new laptop and have received  the message on my laptop:

“Destination Path Too Long

Copying 2948 items from ESD-USB (D) to Public

Interrupted – 98% complete”

I have attached a screenshot.

Can you help?

Thank you

Sent from Mail for Windows

Rhoda A Murray

Thank you for your replies.

The source for my data is my PC which runs on Windows 10.

The target  is a new laptop which runs on Windows 11 (I didn't realise this until I had brought it home!)

I am using the latest version of FH on both machines (V7.0.11)

I have read: Family Historian Copy and Migration Guide and Backup and restore Family Historian Settings FAQ. and have tried to follow the instructions but have clearly made mistakes.

I have used the  "Backup and Restore"  Plugin to back up the source data on Googledrive and  on a USB  stick. You can see the pathway for the latter in the screenshot below.

On the target laptop I have installed FH, opened  "Backup and Restore" in the FH Sample Project, ticked "Allow Registry Data" in the Options tab and then run Restore.  It is then that I have received the message about the destination path being too long.

Following MikeP's response to my query I have looked closely at the file name and can see that it has the same path repeated several times. (see below) I don't understand how this has happened unless it is because I have tried to restore the data several times.

I have tried to rename the file by deleting the repeated pathways but the process is not the same as on Windows 10 and although I have looked on the internet for ways of doing this I haven't managed to achieve this.

Mike P suggested accessing the directory but I don’t know how to do this.

As you can see I am not confident with computers and am wary of deleting anything in case I make things worse.

Thank you for your time,

Rhoda

On Tue, Mar 15, 2022 at 2:50 PM Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

[...]

Rhoda, do you have an FHUG Forum account at https://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/

Screenshots are higher resolution there and are instantly available.

Whereas here the resolution is so low they are almost unreadable and administrators must review them which introduces a significant delay.

I am surprised you having difficulties with Windows 11 because it is almost identical to Windows 10.

Is it the new command ribbon at the top of Windows File Explorer that is the problem?

Certainly, the multiple nested Family Historian Projects folders are not good.

But even your USB stick has them so must have been created in Windows 10.

We need to work through each step you have taken on the old Windows 10 PC and the new Windows 11 PC for both Projects and the Backup and Restore FH Settings plugin. That will be so much easier in the FHUG Forum.

[...]

Yes I Have a FHUG account and have now opened it.

Do I need  start a new topic in order to continue this thread?

Sent from Mail for Windows

[...]

Vyger

Rhoda, I can't see your images in detail on my phone but going by your original post and som comments about nested folders be aware there was a folder length limitation of 256 characters which would start counting at c:\

If you are just wanting to backup to Dropbox I cover this at the end of my video below. If working between laptop and other computer you could simply restore from the local folders Dropbox creates on your computer.

Hope this helps

On Wed, 16 Mar 2022, 13:34 Rhoda A Murray, <rhodaamurray@...> wrote:

[...]

You at least need to summarise the problem so those who have not seen this posting understand.

You can include a cross-reference link to this posting using https://groups.io/g/family-historian/topic/89797708