From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Roger Oakes via groups.io
Sent: 07 January 2022 15:21
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Backup and Restore Plugin

Hello,

About 3 years ago I upgraded to a new PC and somehow - I don't remember how - managed successfully to transfer my FH custom settings to the new PC. The new PC has just undergone a major repair involving the re-installation of Windows, as a result of which I've had to re-install all my programs, including FH, and I now need to get back my custom settings. Although I backed up all my projects, it seems the only way I can get the custom settings back is by going back to the old PC and using the backup and restore plugin. The old PC no longer seems capable of connecting to the internet, and having transferred the plugin via a USB stick, I find that I can't run it without first downloading something called md5, but that doesn't seem to be capable of being saved to a USB stick in the same way, and I'm a bit flummoxed.

Can anyone give me some guidance, please? In case it's relevant, I've got FH version 6.2.7 on both PCs, but the source PC is running on Windows 7 and the target PC on Windows 10.

Thanks,

Roger

Roger Oakes

Thanks for that, Mike.

Although I can't remember what I did 3 years ago, I did follow whatever advice I received from this user group, and if I hadn't lost all my saved emails as well, I could look it up!  I would have thought I used backup and restore, but the old PC is adamant that it hasn't got md5 and it certainly doesn't ring any bells.

Anyway, thanks again, and I hope I won't need to trouble you further.

Roger

On 07/01/2022 16:01, Mike Tate wrote:
Hi Roger,
Yes, when performing backups always remember to run the Backup and Restore FH Settings plugin.
If you used that plugin 3 years ago then the md5 library module should still be on the old PC.
So perhaps you did not use the plugin at that time but made do with copying the C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian folder, which if all else fails is still an option, although not as comprehensive as the plugin.

To get the md5 library module, use the new PC to download the Install Library Modules plugin from the Plugin Store at https://pluginstore.family-historian.co.uk/page/plugin/install-library-modules.
Transfer that to the old PC via USB stick and run it before running the Backup and Restore plugin.

It is good that you have the same FH version on both PC. The Windows version should not matter.

[...]

Mike Tate

Sorry, my mistake Roger,
The need for the md5 library module was only added recently.
Let me know if you have any difficulties.

Although I can't remember what I did 3 years ago, I did follow whatever advice I received from this user group, and if I hadn't lost all my saved emails as well, I could look it up! I would have thought I used backup and restore, but the old PC is adamant that it hasn't got md5 and it certainly doesn't ring any bells.

Anyway, thanks again, and I hope I won't need to trouble you further.

Roger

Roger Oakes

It worked a treat - thank you, Mike.

Roger