Backup

Tom Gray

Has the backup file type changed?

I do a full (entire project folder) backup to a separate USB Drive.

The one I did for beginning of March this year (and all previous ones) has saved as a Compressed (zipped) folder which I believe was the only option when running a backup. This is seen as a folder on the USB drive.

The one I have just done has saved as Backup file type (*.fhbak) and is not seen as a folder on my USB Drive. It is on the USB drive but not as a Folder. It is only seen when clicking on the Drive letter in this case D:

I tried to do another full backup and the File Name shows as - FH Project Backup – “My Tree” – Date.

The save as Type box only gives save as Backup File(*.fhbak) as an option.

I have never done a Restore so am not sure if this would be a problem when or if I ever had to do so.

Appreciate any advice on this.

Tom Gray

Mike Tate

Tom, it is not a problem.

Have you read what’s new in FH V7.0.11 and https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/backup-and-recovery/?

[...]

Thanks. I have been going through the what’s new details on the FH website including the videos and had not seen anything about backups.

A lot of stuff to go through for my modest needs. I probably should be looking at FHUG instead and will start to do so.

Thanks for the help

Tom

Mike Tate

See https://www.family-historian.co.uk/v7-updates:

Under 7.0.10.0 and then under Miscellaneous it says:

“Family Historian backup files now have their own file type (“Family Historian Backup File”) and file icon (a filing cabinet icon).”