Associating individuals

Patrick Maloney

Hello All,

I've searched unsuccessfully for this on FHUG, maybe I missed something.

I have a number of individuals on my FH project who are there because I think they may be related to more securely fixed individuals.

For example, I have a 72-year old lady staying with my 3G grandmother on the 1851 census. She has my ancestor's maiden name. However, I can as yet find no other trace of her.

I believe that she must be related in some way, maybe an aunt.

Is there a way to associate these two individuals in a loose way? As I can't demonstrate a familial link except by name and proximity, I don't want to add her as an aunt or whatever.

I'll be grateful for any comments or advice.

Thanks,

Patrick

Jenny Cochrane

There may be a more sophisticated way but I just put them in the hypothetical place, in your case Aunt but put a "tentative' flag against the record.
I also usually add a note recording the potential relationship and perhaps a to do note for further research.
You could also add a note on the census record.

On Mon, 25 Jul 2022 at 20:39, Patrick Maloney
<baggy212@...> wrote:
Hello All,

I've searched unsuccessfully for this on FHUG, maybe I missed something.

I have a number of individuals on my FH project who are there because I
think they may be related to more securely fixed individuals.

For example, I have a 72-year old lady staying with my 3G grandmother on
the 1851 census. She has my ancestor's maiden name. However, I can as
yet find no other trace of her.

I believe that she must be related in some way, maybe an aunt.

Is there a way to associate these two individuals in a loose way? As I
can't demonstrate a familial link except by name and proximity, I don't
want to add her as an aunt or whatever.

I'll be grateful for any comments or advice.

Thanks,

Patrick

Mike Tate

It is possible to add an Associated Person via the All tab.
Right-click the person's name and choose Add Miscellaneous > Add Associated Person > Add Link...
Having done that you can add a subsidiary Relationship value.
You can also add a local Note and a Source Citation.

It is possible to configure the Main tab to show the Associated Person link and Relationship.

Mike Tate

Trevor Rix

One method would be to use the In Progress flag to switch on a 'men at work' icon in diagrams.

Patrick Maloney

Hi Jenny,

Thanks for that. I wanted to avoid making a relationship judgement on the basis of very little evidence. Many thanks for the reply.

Patrick

On 25/07/2022 20:45, Jenny Cochrane via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Hi Mike,

Thank you. I think that is exactly what I was looking for.

Patrick

On 25/07/2022 21:58, Mike Tate wrote:
It is possible to add an Associated Person via the All tab.
Right-click the person's name and choose Add Miscellaneous > Add Associated Person > Add Link...
Having done that you can add a subsidiary Relationship value.
You can also add a local Note and a Source Citation.

It is possible to configure the Main tab to show the Associated Person link and Relationship.

Mike Tate

Patrick Maloney

Hi Trevor,

It's an option I considered, but to make the association, I'd have to make some sort of decision on a relationship.

Thanks,

Patrick

On 25/07/2022 23:01, Trevor Rix wrote:
One method would be to use the In Progress flag to switch on a 'men at work' icon in diagrams.

Beverly Smallwood

I opened Gus, went to All tab and added associated person Geri as you with a relationship value.

Two questions -
Where does it show up on Geri?

How do I configure it to show on the Main tab for either person?

Thanks,
Bev

Jenny Cochrane

Never knew this and I've been using FH for years. Great tip. Thanks Mike.

On Monday, 25 July 2022 at 23:35:50 BST, Patrick Maloney <baggy212@...> wrote:

Hi Mike,

Thank you. I think that is exactly what I was looking for.

Patrick

On 25/07/2022 21:58, Mike Tate wrote:
> It is possible to add an Associated Person via the All tab.
> Right-click the person's name and choose Add Miscellaneous > Add Associated Person > Add Link...
> Having done that you can add a subsidiary Relationship value.
> You can also add a local Note and a Source Citation.
>
> It is possible to configure the Main tab to show the Associated Person link and Relationship.
>
> Mike Tate

Mike Tate

Hi Bev,

Associated Person links are one-way only.

So to obtain a reverse association you must repeat the process and add Gus as Associated Person for Geri probably with a different Relationship.

To show associations on the Main tab use the Menu > Customize Property Box… option.

See Help page https://www.family-historian.co.uk/help/fh7/hh_start.htm#propertyboxcustomize.html

Enable both parts as Association: INDI.ASSO and Relationship: INDI.ASSO.RELA

Then you can enter those details directly on the Main tab without using the All tab.

If you use this feature a lot, there is an Associations custom Property Box tab in the FHUG Downloads:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/download/associated-persons-3/

Mike Tate

Sheila Bryant

Like Jenny, I've been using FH for years and had missed this
completely - thank you so much, both to Patrick for asking the
question, and to Mike for this answer! I have several wedding
witnesses to apply this to, so that's this afternoon's activity
sorted!

On Mon, 25 Jul 2022 at 21:58, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

It is possible to add an Associated Person via the All tab.
Right-click the person's name and choose Add Miscellaneous > Add Associated Person > Add Link...
Having done that you can add a subsidiary Relationship value.
You can also add a local Note and a Source Citation.

It is possible to configure the Main tab to show the Associated Person link and Relationship.

Sheila

Mike Tate

Sheila, presumably those wedding witnesses are already added as Fact Witnesses to the Marriage events?
Details about possible relationships could be added to their Notes.