Ancestry subscription discount

James Pam

Much to my surprise this Ancestry link first posted by Trevor Rix in 2017 still offers a 50% discount on subscription. I was  a lapsed Ancestry member so don't know whether  £59 for 12 months is limited to lapsed members.

https://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15275&p=80914#p80914

Fiona Hall

You didn’t have to be brand new to Ancestry to use it – just not a current subscriber

Fiona

Sent: Monday, February 8, 2021 3:25 PM
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Ancestry subscription discount

Much to my surprise this Ancestry link first posted by Trevor Rix in 2017 still offers a 50% discount on subscription. I was  a lapsed Ancestry member so don't know whether  £59 for 12 months is limited to lapsed members.

liz_graydon

The 50% discount is still available as long as members cancel their subscription, let it expire and then resubscribe.  I have found you need only wait for about an hour after you show as only having a guest account for it to work

On Monday, 8 February 2021, 15:44:24 GMT, James Pam <jamespam1@...> wrote:

Sue Herrington

I’ve used the link for at least the last 3/4 years without any problem. As long as your subscription has ended, so that you can no longer view records. £89 will give you Worldwide membership for 12 months.

Sue

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: 08 February 2021 15:44

Victor Markham

£89 for worldwide subs. Mine is due for renewal next month at £179.99! Better cancel then renew!

Victor

On 08/02/2021 4:48 pm, Sue Herrington wrote:

I’ve used the link for at least the last 3/4 years without any problem. As long as your subscription has ended, so that you can no longer view records. £89 will give you Worldwide membership for 12 months.

Sue

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: 08 February 2021 15:44

edwardrowland45@...

As a member of Irish Genealogical Research Society I have availed of a 25% discount on Ancestry Worldwide for the past two years. Cancel and re-subscribe as done
above. I am curious to learn that I can avail of a 50% discount!
Edward

Roger Evans

As Edward says -- where do you find this link please

Trevor Rix

The link is in the first post in this thread.

Roger Evans

Trevor,

Thank you - that £90 saved

Roger

Peter Atkinson

I've only used FMP, due for renewal. What's the consensus regarding that and Ancestry.
Pete

On Tue, 9 Feb 2021, 20:39 Roger Evans via groups.io, <r.evans441=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Trevor,

Thank you - that £90 saved

Roger

Trevor Rix

Ideally, subscribe to both Ancestry and Findmypast. They each have many exclusive datasets.

After FreeBMD and the GRO BD indexes I use Ancestry 90% of the time, primarily because the search interfaces are better, because Ancestry records are tightly integrated with AncestryDNA, and because Ancestry have source record images that better fit my research needs. If Ancestry does not have what I need, I use Findmypast then FreeReg then FamilySearch.

Peter Atkinson

Thanks Trevor I'll have to think it over.

Pete

On Tue, 9 Feb 2021, 21:17 Trevor Rix, <trevor@...> wrote:
Ideally, subscribe to both Ancestry and Findmypast. They each have many exclusive datasets.

After FreeBMD and the GRO BD indexes I use Ancestry 90% of the time, primarily because the search interfaces are better, because Ancestry records are tightly integrated with AncestryDNA, and because Ancestry have source record images that better fit my research needs. If Ancestry does not have what I need, I use Findmypast then FreeReg then FamilySearch.

gen@malmail.co.uk

You do realise the Library Editions of FMP and Ancestry can be accessed for free during Covid
If you are a member of your local library. 

FMP has a cap on number of hits,  which stops it near the end of the month. 

It may vary local library to library. 

On 9 Feb 2021, at 21:23, Peter Atkinson <patkinson1943@...> wrote:

Thanks Trevor I'll have to think it over.

Pete

On Tue, 9 Feb 2021, 21:17 Trevor Rix, <trevor@...> wrote:

Paul Reeve

Our local library doesn't subscribe to FMP, but I've been using the ancestry library edition a bit recently.
I've just had an email from Ancestry as my subscription is due to renew on 2nd March, so this looks very useful. If you cancel your membership and then rejoin, are you automatically a guest member once you cancel, and what happens to your trees and any which have been shared with you? I have 4 trees shared with me and I wouldn't want to lose access to them.

Thanks

Paul

Adrian Bruce

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021, 10:32 Paul Reeve <pg.reevegroups@...> wrote:
   ... what happens to your trees and any which have been shared with you? I have 4 trees shared with me and I wouldn't want to lose access to them.
I don't know the answer but logic says that if you cancel and become a new member, you will *not* retain your user identity - whether visibly or behind the scenes. Otherwise, surely you're not a new member?

That would imply that you didn't retain access to other people's trees because you're not you any more. My logic would even suggest that you don't retain update access to your own tree.

Now, can anyone confirm or deny my logic?

Frances Atherton

I have let my membership lapse and then renewed using the discount code and I have never lost access to my trees on Ancestry. 

Frances 

On Wed, 10 Feb 2021 at 10:57, Adrian Bruce <abruce6155@...> wrote:

... what happens to your trees and any which have been shared with you? I have 4 trees shared with me and I wouldn't want to lose access to them.
I don't know the answer but logic says that if you cancel and become a new member, you will *not* retain your user identity - whether visibly or behind the scenes. Otherwise, surely you're not a new member?

That would imply that you didn't retain access to other people's trees because you're not you any more. My logic would even suggest that you don't retain update access to your own tree.

Sue Herrington

From personal experience, you will retain your username, password and any/all trees which you have created, along with attached media images.

Sue

On Wed, 10 Feb 2021, 11:01 Frances Atherton, <frankie445@...> wrote:
I have let my membership lapse and then renewed using the discount code and I have never lost access to my trees on Ancestry. 

Frances 

Trevor Rix

When you cancel your membership, let it expire, then rejoin, you just carry on from where you left off. You don't lose access to anything.

Paul Reeve

From personal experience, you will retain your username, password and any/all trees which you have created, along with attached media images.

Sue
Thank you. My own trees are basically there because I shared them with others. I'm still not quite clear on the matter of trees which have been shared with me.
Paul

Teresa Goatham

Agree, you don't lose access to your tree(s). I'm pretty sure you can still change them, add to them etc. while you don't have a sub. I definitely find when I am between subs I can also see the trees belonging to others that they have shared with me and most of the content. I can see their notes, images they have attached, but where they have added links to media on Ancestry I can see what they have attached but can't see the record transcript or the image (e.g. I can see that they have attached the 1891 census images, but not the details on it).

Without a sub I can see new DNA matches, but the info about their tree (if there is one) is limited. At present though I can go into library edition and view their full tree there. There is no problem with using the two versions at once - no need to log out of one to log in to the other. Without a sub I can contact DNA matches (from the non-library edition) but it's not possible to contact other people e.g. because there tree shows a match from either edition (but I can reply if they contact me).

Teresa 

On 10/02/2021 11:16, Sue Herrington wrote:

Sue

On Wed, 10 Feb 2021, 11:01 Frances Atherton, <frankie445@...> wrote:

Frances 

Now, can anyone confirm or deny my logic

Virus-free. www.avast.com