Ancestry Message service - update

Sheila Beer

See below       If they are to believed they are on the case.  Seems they finally believe me that messages sent to someone do not always go into their INBOX but reside, hidden (cause they would not know they've been sent a message) in their SENT file

It's taken me over 2 years to get this far.    I've suggested time and time again that I should test it with one of their own accounts.  Wasn't till Roger, and I (and 2 others joined us) joined forces that we've got this far.

I suggest everyone looks for 'hidden' messages sent to themselves, put their email in their profile and include it in all messages sent.  Another thing that could be done is to add a 'comment', saying you wish to correspond with the tree owner and include your email address, onto a recent ancestor.  That worked successfully for me in a few instances.

Hope this helps users of Ancestry.

Ancestrysupport@...

Mon, 4 May, 14:30 (2 days ago)
to me

Dear Sheila M

Thank you for your patience while we are looking into your issue. We have received a permission form the other Ancestry member Roger to view his account in order to resolve your issue.
I logged into Rogers account and could replicate the issue you were describing therefor I have submitted an Error report regarding this matter and have escalated this issue to our technical department. Unfortunately I would not be able to give you an exact time frame for when this issue might be resolved but can assure you of that we will look into this at our earliest convenience. We regret any frustration this might have caused especially knowing how long it has been since you have reported this problem to us.

If you need additional assistance, reply to this email or feel free to contact us by phone at 0-800-783-1340 from 9 AM to 9 PM GMT, Monday through Friday or from 9 AM - 5:30 PM GMT, Saturday and Sunday.  If you're calling from outside of the UK, please click here for numbers and hours in your region.

Kind regards,

Klinta
Customer Solutions Associate
Ancestry

For more information regarding our products, please follow the links listed below.

ref:_00D15EQ03._5001C1TVMEu:ref

ColinMc

I suggest everyone looks for 'hidden' messages sent to themselves

How do we do that?

Sheila Beer

I suggest everyone looks for 'hidden' messages sent to themselves

How do we do that?

You can look in your SENT file for any sign of messages you have not seen or answered.   You can also use the 'search' facility.

On Thu, 7 May 2020 at 16:40, dhuhallow via groups.io <dhuhallow=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
I suggest everyone looks for 'hidden' messages sent to themselves

How do we do that?

John & Carol King

I cannot find my sent messages any more, amy ideas?

On Thursday, 7 May 2020, 17:24:38 BST, Sheila Beer <sheilamarcelb@...> wrote:

I suggest everyone looks for 'hidden' messages sent to themselves

How do we do that?

You can look in your SENT file for any sign of messages you have not seen or answered.   You can also use the 'search' facility.

On Thu, 7 May 2020 at 16:40, dhuhallow via groups.io <dhuhallow=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
I suggest everyone looks for 'hidden' messages sent to themselves

How do we do that?

Sheila Beer

See enclosed screenshot  Click on 'Sent'

On Thu, 7 May 2020 at 18:12, John & Carol King via groups.io <jandcking145=sky.com@groups.io> wrote:
I cannot find my sent messages any more, amy ideas?

On Thursday, 7 May 2020, 17:24:38 BST, Sheila Beer <sheilamarcelb@...> wrote:

I suggest everyone looks for 'hidden' messages sent to themselves

How do we do that?

You can look in your SENT file for any sign of messages you have not seen or answered.   You can also use the 'search' facility.

On Thu, 7 May 2020 at 16:40, dhuhallow via groups.io <dhuhallow=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
I suggest everyone looks for 'hidden' messages sent to themselves

How do we do that?

John & Carol King

This is stupid, I know that my screen always had a Home option but it no longer appears. I can get into my messages but not view just a sent box. I cannot get into the screen that you are showing giving access to all mailboxes etc. I'll have to keep searching.

Thanks Carol

On Thursday, 7 May 2020, 22:08:12 BST, Sheila Beer <sheilamarcelb@...> wrote:

See enclosed screenshot  Click on 'Sent'

On Thu, 7 May 2020 at 18:12, John & Carol King via groups.io <jandcking145=sky.com@groups.io> wrote:
I cannot find my sent messages any more, amy ideas?

On Thursday, 7 May 2020, 17:24:38 BST, Sheila Beer <sheilamarcelb@...> wrote:

I suggest everyone looks for 'hidden' messages sent to themselves

How do we do that?

You can look in your SENT file for any sign of messages you have not seen or answered.   You can also use the 'search' facility.

On Thu, 7 May 2020 at 16:40, dhuhallow via groups.io <dhuhallow=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
I suggest everyone looks for 'hidden' messages sent to themselves

How do we do that?

BillH

On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 02:08 PM, Sheila Beer wrote:
See enclosed screenshot  Click on 'Sent'
I don't see a screen like that.  I don't seem to have anything but an inbox.  How do you get to the screen in your screen shot?

You also say you can use search?  If you don't know who may have sent the message or what it is about, what do you search for?

Bill

Robert Flood

When I am on Ancestry there is a black menu bar at the top of the page. On the right hand side of that is my name and an avatar, next to that is an envelope. Clicking on the envelope opens a drop down with the last few messages. At the bottom of these is "see all messages", click on that and it opens your "message center". On the left of this page are the options to look at "inbox", "sent", "deleted" and "folders" (if you have created any) plus a search box.

Robert

On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 01:56 PM, Robert Flood wrote:

When I am on Ancestry there is a black menu bar at the top of the page. On the right hand side of that is my name and an avatar, next to that is an envelope. Clicking on the envelope opens a drop down with the last few messages. At the bottom of these is "see all messages", click on that and it opens your "message center". On the left of this page are the options to look at "inbox", "sent", "deleted" and "folders" (if you have created any) plus a search box.

My guess is that you are still on the old message system.  I am on the new message system.  The new message system doesn't look like that.  It has only an "in" box on the left with a list of message "threads".  In the middle it shows the messages for the selected "thread".  On the right it gives information about the person that sent you message.  There is no "sent" or "deleted" folder shown.

Bill

Lorna Craig

I see what Bill has described. There are no separate folders for inbox, sent, etc.  The screen looks like the one shown here: https://support.ancestry.com/s/article/Messaging-on-Ancestry

Lorna

[...]

I am glad that I'm not the only one seeing a different screen

On Saturday, 9 May 2020, 11:34:42 BST, Lorna Craig via groups.io <l.m.craig@...> wrote:

[...]

John James

When I'm on Ancestry (.co.uk) I see what Robert Flood sees.  But there is also a blue bar below the black bar saying "It's almost here! Find out more about the new messaging experience at Ancestry."

But I received a message on 24th September 2019 saying the new Messaging was imminent ...

John

Debbie Kennett

It seems to have taken Ancestry a lot longer than predicted to roll out this new messaging system. Here are some details I received from an Ancestry briefing back in June 2019.

Overview

● New Ancestry Message Center: The new Ancestry Message Center is a modern and

easy-to-navigate platform that allows members to easily exchange messages with each other.

With new features like current message status, online member status and improved member

search capabilities, members are now able to connect and respond to each other in a more

efficient way.

About the new Ancestry Message Center

● Current Message Status: This feature will show a “Delivered” notice below the message when

it is delivered and a “Read” notice once the message has been read. This feature will help keep

members better informed about the status of their message.

● Online Member Status: Now, members will be able to see a green dot next to a user’s name if

they are online and currently available in the new Ancestry Message Center.

● Improved Member Search Capabilities: By adding a predictive text search feature within the

new Ancestry Message Center, it’s easier for Ancestry members to find the person they are

trying to message even faster. If a member is online and currently available a green dot will

appear next to their name in the search bar.

We were told that new subscribers from June 2019 onwards would be put on the new messaging platform and existing members were supposed to follow. Ancestry members who use the message folders were going to be transitioned last as they were trying to find a way to transfer the folders. That doesn’t seem to have been possible. If you have made use of the folders you will need to download your message folders archive. You will be able to do this until 31st August.

Debbie Kennett

Robert Flood

Glad I'm not the only one on the old system. I'm also on ancestry.co.uk in spite of repeated attempts to change my links to .com, but I am not seeing the blue bar.

Robert

On Saturday, 9 May 2020, 14:39:06 BST, John James <gladtobegrey@...> wrote:

When I'm on Ancestry (.co.uk) I see what Robert Flood sees.  But there is also a blue bar below the black bar saying "It's almost here! Find out more about the new messaging experience at Ancestry."

But I received a message on 24th September 2019 saying the new Messaging was imminent ...

John

Debbie Kennett

Ancestry have said that full rollout to the new messaging system continues, but “most users have the new experience”.  They’ve also said that “Existing international users will see the new experience soon” which rather suggests that it has so far only been rolled out to their users in the US.

Debbie Kennett

Sheila Beer

I have an account on .co.uk and that HAS had the message service upgrade

On Sat, 9 May 2020 at 22:03, <debbiekennett@...> wrote:

Ancestry have said that full rollout to the new messaging system continues, but “most users have the new experience”.  They’ve also said that “Existing international users will see the new experience soon” which rather suggests that it has so far only been rolled out to their users in the US.

Debbie Kennett

Sheila Beer

You can use the same sign-in information on either Ancestry.com or Ancestry.co.uk ( I assume all the other country specific Ancestry sites as well)

On Sun, 10 May 2020 at 08:52, Sheila Beer via groups.io <sheilamarcelb=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have an account on .co.uk and that HAS had the message service upgrade

On Sat, 9 May 2020 at 22:03, <debbiekennett@...> wrote:

Ancestry have said that full rollout to the new messaging system continues, but “most users have the new experience”.  They’ve also said that “Existing international users will see the new experience soon” which rather suggests that it has so far only been rolled out to their users in the US.

Debbie Kennett

Peter Atkinson

I cant remember how this topic started but hasn't it gone on too long, as I think it is inappropriate for this "family historian" Site.

On Sun, 10 May 2020, 10:15 Sheila Beer, <sheilamarcelb@...> wrote:
You can use the same sign-in information on either Ancestry.com or Ancestry.co.uk ( I assume all the other country specific Ancestry sites as well)

On Sun, 10 May 2020 at 08:52, Sheila Beer via groups.io <sheilamarcelb=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have an account on .co.uk and that HAS had the message service upgrade

On Sat, 9 May 2020 at 22:03, <debbiekennett@...> wrote:

Ancestry have said that full rollout to the new messaging system continues, but “most users have the new experience”.  They’ve also said that “Existing international users will see the new experience soon” which rather suggests that it has so far only been rolled out to their users in the US.

Debbie Kennett

Brian Lummis

I tend to agree Peter so I am about to act as my own moderator by clicking “Mute This Topic” at the foot of this post!

[...]

A Directly Ancestry Expert says "[...] My account hasn’t been updated to the new system yet either. It is my understanding that the remaining updates should occur within the next 2-3 months. I’m sorry for the delay.[...]"

John