Ancestry message service

Sheila Beer

Hi again

I've had so many replies about this - a few knew of the problem but most didn't and just wondered why they hadn't received replies.

A good suggesting someone gave me some time ago was to put on your profile, in capitals so's it's as noticeable as possible,t hat there is a problem with the Message Service and you'd like people to use your own email address - and don't forget to include it.

Also on every new message you send to anyone include your own email address asking them to use that.

Re-send a message to those who haven't replied, include your personal email address (take note of when that person last signed on to Ancestry - can be found on their profile) cause if it's some months ago they may not use it anymore, so non-reply could be expected.

This is such a frustrating problem and during this difficult time a lot of us are using Ancestry more.

I hope I've been helpful

Sheila

Sheila Beer

I forgot to mention - when my subscription was up for renewal I got a 25% reduction due to the problem.  So if it hits them in the pocket more often they might be more inclined to get it sorted.

On Sun, 3 May 2020 at 07:24, Sheila Beer via groups.io <sheilamarcelb=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Victor Markham

Have you considered they did not reply simply because they didn't want to. I have had this experience and consider no reply as being their loss

It has been mentioned that this matter has nothing to do with FH. There are groups on Facebook where you may get a better answer

Victor

On 03/05/2020 7:23 am, Sheila Beer wrote:
[...]

ColinMc

How do you get round the problem, I've never heard of it?

peter@...

I would be interested to hear if you have had success including your email address in a reply?  I haven't tried it in the last three years but Ancestry used to expunge my email address if I included it.  I tried resorting to replacing the @ with "at" but it still seemed clever enough to recognise domain names and block email addresses.

It was one of several reasons I gave up with Ancestry (a second was as someone pointed out to me, I ceased to have rights to my family tree) Ancestry assumed ownership when you posted it up.  I fixed on the combination of FindMyPast and The Genealogist, although this year my wife bought an Ancestry subscription herself which I can use for research if a Parish or record only exists there.
--
Peter Williams

joan Chopping

I recently asked someone I was in contact through Ancestry’s message service for their email, which they did with no problem.
Regards
Joan Chopping

Sheila Beer

I've just tested sending to 4 people a message containing my email address,  All the recipients could read my email address.

So seems to include email addresses is fine.

Sheila

On Mon, 4 May 2020 at 09:09, joan Chopping <2choppings@...> wrote:
I recently asked someone I was in contact through Ancestry’s message service for their email, which they did with no problem.
Regards
Joan Chopping

Deirdre Leigh

Once a linked family contact is confirmed (as opposed to a speculative enquiry, my tree is private) i communicate off Ancestry with all my contacts. Much easier. Can attach links and images etc.

On Mon, 4 May 2020 at 14:37, Sheila Beer <sheilamarcelb@...> wrote:
I've just tested sending to 4 people a message containing my email address,  All the recipients could read my email address.

So seems to include email addresses is fine.

Sheila

On Mon, 4 May 2020 at 09:09, joan Chopping <2choppings@...> wrote:
I recently asked someone I was in contact through Ancestry’s message service for their email, which they did with no problem.
Regards
Joan Chopping

peter@...

Joan

Thank you, and Sheila too.

They must have lifted the block then, in which case it is perhaps lack of time or disinterest that is the cause of nil reply.  I always issue some sort of response, though not infrequently the presumed connection does not exist and I have just responded to someone whose stated ancestry I can't confirm by my own check (though I have detailed, why I believe they are incorrect).
--
Peter Williams
Researching Williams in Denbighshire, Kent in Hertfordshire and Suffolk, Rissen in Suffolk, Summers in South Repps, Broadbent in Liverpool, Ward in Nuneaton, Whicker in Dorset, Gardner in Middlesex