All Source Citations Lost for One Project

Sue Paul

Good morning

I have a technical issue I hope someone can advise on.

Yesterday, whilst using Family Historian, my laptop fell over with a memory issue. The subsequent scan of my laptop found no issues but, this morning, I have noticed two problems:

  1. I have lost all my source citations from the project. I have two other projects and they have not lost their source citations. To avoid panic, I am assuming that it is unlikely that I have lost the source citation data but that the link to them has been lost but, if so, how do I get them back?
  2. I have lost a percentage of my media files [links?]. It appears to be most of the most recently added [just over 3 weeks] but also some added earlier. The media is still on file but they have disappeared completely from Family Historian. They are not showing as broken links. The four media files I added before I noticed the problem are showing the full link [c://.../media/....] rather than the shortened link [media/...]for all the earlier files.
I take a Gedcom file only backup each time I exit Family Historian and still have the last 9. The oldest is from 26 April 2021. I would rather not restore back that far but, if that would cure the two problems, it would not be a disaster. However, I am unsure if that would fix the problems so am reluctant to do it without advice.

As my other two projects are OK, I cannot see that reinstalling Family Historian will help.

I am currently still using version 6 as I am in the middle of a huge tidy-up of my one-name study project. [I intend to upgrade as soon as I have finished.]

Many thanks for simply reading this. Any help you can give will be gratefully received.

Kind regards,

Sue

Sue Paul

Further investigation shows the media file problem is larger than I initially thought. Family Historian only has 2301 out of 7544 media files it should hold.

I could re-add the missing files manually but it will take a very long time.

Kind regards,

Sue

On Tue, 18 May 2021 at 07:35, Sue Paul via groups.io <suecarolpaul=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

ShaneB

Hi Sue

With the caveat that what I know about FH I could write on the back of a postage stamp: do you have a backup? Surely doing a recovery that way would get you close to where you were yesterday?

Good luck

Shane

andy@...

Sue,

I'd hold fire for a while before you do anything drastic. If your pc has a memory problem, it may just be that the citations and media are not being displayed properly and are really still there.

A simple check might be to look at the size of your last saved gedcom file and compare it to the size of the zipped file in your earlier backups. If the size is not substantially smaller, it may indicate a display problem.

Other users are much more experienced with this sort of stuff than I am, and they may well offer better help, but I advise waiting for a while until they can assist.

Hope it all turns out to be something simple and that no harm is done!

Sue Paul

Shane

I am hoping that will be the solution but, with all due respect, as the problems seem unusual I am hoping someone with more experience of Family Historian confirms that it is the best route before I do anything that will make the problem worse.

Kind regards,

Sue

On Tue, 18 May 2021 at 08:37, ShaneB <shane@...> wrote:
Hi Sue

With the caveat that what I know about FH I could write on the back of a postage stamp: do you have a backup? Surely doing a recovery that way would get you close to where you were yesterday?

Good luck

Shane

Sue Paul

Andy

Thanks for the suggestion. I had not  thought of doing that. The latest two backups are substantially smaller. Perhaps indicating that a restore to an older backup would cure the problems.

Kind regards,

Sue

On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 04:37 PM, Sue Paul wrote:
I am hoping that will be the solution but, with all due respect, as the problems seem unusual I am hoping someone with more experience of Family Historian confirms that it is the best route before I do anything that will make the problem worse.
Good idea! Better to listen to someone who knows that they're talking about. :-)

Hope it works out.

Lesley Lambourne

It would be a good idea to pop this question on the forum which you can access from the FH Help menu. There may already be a thread on there that will help you..

On Tue, 18 May 2021, 08:18 Sue Paul, <suecarolpaul@...> wrote:
[...]

Mike Tate

Sue,

I am sorry to hear about your problems but it reinforces the importance of regular backups preferably to external storage media.

What if instead of a memory glitch your disk drive or whole PC had failed? Then you would lose all Projects and all Media files too!

Apart from your GEDCOM only FH Backups, FH also keeps regular snapshots of your GEDCOM file for each Project.

So use the File > Backup/Restore > Revert to Snapshot… command and review the Snapshot Taken dates.

Choose the one that you think will be just before the failures occurred and click Revert to Snapshot…

You can repeat that process for different dates as often as you like until you get the best outcome.

Having got back to some state of normality please review your backup regime.

See FHUG Knowledge Base ~ Backup and Recovery:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/backup-and-recovery/

That has specific advice for FH and general advice near the end about Making a Safe Backup to external storage media.

Please don’t ask the same question in two Forums. The same experts monitor both.

It would be a good idea to pop this question on the forum which you can access from the FH Help menu. There may already be a thread on there that will help you..

Lesley Lambourne

Sorry Mike - thought I was typing the FB page ...doh!

On Tue, 18 May 2021, 10:08 Lesley Lambourne via groups.io, <lesley.lambourne=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Mike

Thanks. I am grateful for the advice which is just what I was looking for. My primary concern was not making matters worse by trying to recover the situation in the wrong way.

Incidentally, I do a full back-up to two different external devices weekly. I simply forgot to mention them in my panic. However, from what you say, I should be able to recover with less loss of work.

Kind regards,

Sue

On Tue, 18 May 2021 at 10:18, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

[...]

Lorna Craig

Hi Sue,

Hopefully you are well on your way to sorting things out now, but it would be helpful to understand exactly what went missing.

There’s an important difference between a media file and a media record, so can you confirm exactly what was missing?  A media file is typically (but not necessarily) an image file in JPG format, and if you are using the standard FH project structure these files will be held in the Media folder of your project.  A media record is a type of record within FH which links to one of your media files.

So when you say “Family Historian only has 2301 out of 7544 media files it should hold” do you mean the files have disappeared from the media folder of you project?  Or just that there are no longer any media records in FH corresponding to those files?  I suspect, and hope, you mean the latter because you said they are not showing as broken links which is what would happen if there was a media record without a corresponding media file.  If so, restoring to a recent gedcom backup or a recent snapshot (as Mike suggested) should put things right.  Good luck!

Lorna

Thanks. I am grateful for the advice which is just what I was looking for. My primary concern was not making matters worse by trying to recover the situation in the wrong way.

Incidentally, I do a full back-up to two different external devices weekly. I simply forgot to mention them in my panic. However, from what you say, I should be able to recover with less loss of work.

Sue Paul

Lorna

Yes, you are correct. I was using the wrong terminology. It was the media records that went missing. I have not tried Mike's solution yet having just returned from visiting my elderly mother but, from what you and Mike have said, I am confident that the solution MIke suggested will work.

Kind regards,

Sue